Worm Gear

Advert

Worm Gear

Home Forums General Questions Worm Gear

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    colin hamilton
    Participant
      @colinhamilton16803

<p style=”text-align: center;”>I would really like to make a rotisserie grill something like this</p>

But I have no idea if its possible to make a worm gear

I was thinking of buying a lathe leadscrew and cutting the gears that would mesh with it.

Thoughts??

Thanks

Colin

Advert
      Bazyle
      Participant
        @bazyle

There are better ways of achieving the end result – eg chain drive.

Fulmen
        Participant
          @fulmen

You can use a tap to free hob a worm gear that will mate with a threaded rod.

duncan webster 1
          Participant
            @duncanwebster1

The advantage of the proposed design is that the individual skewers can be picked off without affecting the others. However the photo shows a very quick pitch ‘worm’. I’d more likely call it a skew gear. It would probably work with a leadscrew and worm wheels, but the leadscrew would have to rotate more quickly (in reality still quite slow I suspect)

As you don’t need continuous rotation you could achieve the same result by having a rack and pinion set up withe the rack oscillating to and fro. Advantage straight cut teeth.

colin hamilton
            Participant
              @colinhamilton16803

The speed thing is very interesting and good news. I’ve made a couple of spits in the past and getting the speed down [to less than 5 rpm] is always a pain.

Rack and pinion is also interesting but I’m not sure about the rack sticking out past the grill!!
              <p style=”text-align: center;”></p>

duncan webster 1
              Participant
                @duncanwebster1

Use a stepper motor

Andrew Johnston
                Participant
                  @andrewjohnston13878

As shown the gears are not really a worm and worm wheels, more crossed helical gears.

If using a leadscrew as the driver then mating worm wheels are not necessary. Helical gears, with a helix angle equal to the angle of the thread, will be fine and are pretty simple to make. The only hiccup is that if the TPI/pitch of the leadscrew is rational then the DP/module of the mating gear will be irrational. So custom tooling will need to be made, but again pretty simple once the calculations are done.

Andrew

Fulmen
                  Participant
                    @fulmen

The equipment in the video is very well made. It looks like all shafts go at the same low speed, which would simplify both design and logistics. The low speed is not a problem for a commercial design, geared motors are cheap and readily available.

For a diy build a worm gear makes more sense since it can provide significant gearing. Wear will probably be worse, but it’s probably not going to run 8hrs per day, right?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)