WISE to delete !

Advert

WISE to delete !

Home Forums The Tea Room WISE to delete !

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Michael Gilligan
    Participant
      @michaelgilligan61133

Although my inbox is occasionally bombarded by the usual pathetic phishing attempts, this one stood-out as being unusually tempting, because it looks so crisp and business-like:

IMG_0008

Of course, it is just another scam, and here’s a link to the WISE information page:

https://wise.com/help/articles/2932695/watch-out-for-phishing

MichaelG.

Advert
      Brian Wood
      Participant
        @brianwood45127

Michael,

We get this sort of stuff all the time.

Forward it to ” Report @” which is a Government site looking for just such material to follow up and block. You may not have to type more than the rep of Report for it to fill in the rest of the address for you.

Regards   Brian

Michael Gilligan
        Participant
          @michaelgilligan61133

Duly noted, Brian … but I am well-aware of the required action

… I routinely report somewhere between two and twenty phishing attempts each day.

<< report@phishing.gov.uk >>

The only reason for mentioning this one on the forum is as stated in my post.

MichaelG.

MikeK
          Participant
            @mikek40713

“You need to confirm you personal details” is tempting?

Hopper
            Participant
              @hopper
              On MikeK Said:

“You need to confirm you personal details” is tempting?

Dead giveaway right there. NO legit outfit ever emails or phones you asking for personal details.

Anyone getting spam in their inbox in this day and age needs to get better email service or filtering software. I use Gmail and I get absolutely zero spam. For other email systems there are plenty of free spam filters available if you Google it. Spam is so 1999.

Grindstone Cowboy
              Participant
                @grindstonecowboy

I’ve mentioned it before, but I use Mailwasher and get very few spam messages coming through.

Rob

Michael Gilligan
                Participant
                  @michaelgilligan61133

My decision to post this one was evidently ill-judged

Apologies for inconveniencing anyone.

There are more important things going-on in my life [and presumably in yours] … I have no further comment on the matter.

MichaelG.

Nigel Graham 2
                  Participant
                    @nigelgraham2

Oh – don’t worry. You’ve not inconvenienced anyone, and you’ve shown us another doing the rounds, to warn us.

Curiously, when typing the attack forwarding addresses for BT and my bank the first part of the name is enough, but it does not work for the “report@phishing… ” one.

It is noticeable that the message does not pretend to explain itself, or tell us what “WISE” is meant to be.

V8Eng
                    Participant
                      @v8eng

What or who is this Wise thing anyway?
                      This is a genuine query so no rude comments please!

Michael Gilligan
                      Participant
                        @michaelgilligan61133

Just follow the [safe] link that I provided in the first post, and then skip lightly to their home page.

MichaelG.

It will take you here: https://wise.com/

Edit: __ alternatively, this may suffice:

IMG_0010

Hopper
                        Participant
                          @hopper
                          On V8Eng Said:

What or who is this Wise thing anyway?
                          This is a genuine query so no rude comments please!

It’s a sort of online bank that is a big (est?) player in the international travel debit card business. So lots of people have a Wise card they use for their overseas holidays once every year or two and forget about it in the meantime, so are quite likely to not remember its current status etc and go ahead and update their details if they are not wary. It is actually a quite cunning choice of bank/card provider because most people are in touch with what is going on in their regular bank accounts and cards but the Wise travel card tends to be out of sight out of mind when not on holiday. Ironic, because the whole point of using a Wise card is that you put a limited amount of money in it and use it overseas so if your card gets skimmed and scammed, your main personal bank account and regular cards are not compromise.

MikeK
                          Participant
                            @mikek40713

Sorry if my comment sounded harsh.  Wasn’t mean to be.  Nobody was inconvenienced.  Remember: This is not a competition, it is only an exhibition. 🙂

Mike

Hopper
                            Participant
                              @hopper
                              On Grindstone Cowboy Said:

I’ve mentioned it before, but I use Mailwasher and get very few spam messages coming through.

Rob

That is one of the good free ones that is really well worth downloading from their website. Life is too short to be dealing with spam. (LOL there are forum posts to be posted!)

Hopper
                              Participant
                                @hopper

On 11 August 2024 at 21:26 Michael Gilligan Said:

My decision to post this one was evidently ill-judged

Apologies for inconveniencing anyone.

There are more important things going-on in my life [and presumably in yours] … I have no further comment on the matter.

MichaelG.

No inconvenience. I am just repeatedly surprised at the number of threads and posts on this forum in particular regarding spam and scam phone calls. It seems a lot of the older generation are not up to speed with dealing with them and there are a few simple fixes such as those I suggested, which many people seem to be unaware of.

Worldwide, the spamming/scamming “industry” rakes in billions of dollars, yes billions with a B — 4 billion Quid in the UK last year alone. So obviously it works, in many many cases, and so there is a massive need for education and awareness of simple fixes like spam filter software.

Dunno what you do about the phone calls though. I kept my old land line just so I can put that number on anything on the internet that requests it and I never, ever give out my mobile number to anyone I don’t know personally in real life etc. Consequently, I get one or two scam calls a day on my landline answering machine – they hang up without leaving a message — but zero on my mobile.

But I am gobsmacked at stories that appear in the news such as retired accountant invests his $800,000 life savings in a bogus BT fund after he gets a phone call out of the blue from someone falsely claiming to be from BT Financial and has a wonderful opportunity for him with amazing high returns etc. How do people continue to fall for this? How can you have not heard about such scams a million times already? Greed? Naivety? Early stages of dementia, Parkinsons etc? (Seriously, it is a problem. Look at a well known president of a major western power this past few weeks.)

Peter Greene
                                Participant
                                  @petergreene36336
                                  On Hopper Said:

Consequently, I get one or two scam calls a day on my landline answering machine

Oh, would ’twere thus.

Hopper
                                  Participant
                                    @hopper
                                    On Peter Greene Said:
                                    On Hopper Said:

Consequently, I get one or two scam calls a day on my landline answering machine

Oh, would ’twere thus.

I used to get a lot more but maybe because all they ever get is an answering machine I have dropped off the lists of “live numbers” the scammers share or buy and sell on the internet? Also, I am very cagey about giving even that number out on the net. Only where it is absolutely essential to fill out an order form etc for something I know is legit. Or maybe I just live too far out in the sticks for them to even bother with me? Nobody here but us broke hicks who dont have any money and never buy anything!

Howard Lewis
                                    Participant
                                      @howardlewis46836

Recently, we have had two scam calls. the same woman’s voice, but different supposed phone numbres (One pretending to be local!) Wher I just bput down the phone, my wife tends ti use unparliamentary language.

There is something to be said for holding on, just to keep their line, and prevent them pestering someone else.

They definitely don’t like answering machines, ‘cos they can’t be conned into giving personal, credit card,  or banking details.

We’ve had a cpuple of scam E mails, suppsedly from froends of my wife.  But the E mail addresses are incorrect, so they get the double delete treatment, which seems to cause them to give up.

But they live in hopes of finding a sucker, some where else.

The “Mugged in Kiev” merchants appear to given up!

Hward

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)