Which tool post for Myford 254S?

Advert

Which tool post for Myford 254S?

Home Forums Manual machine tools Which tool post for Myford 254S?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dave Sawdon 1
    Participant
      @davesawdon1

A while ago I replaced my lovely Holbrook with a Myford 254S. Since then I’ve managed with improvised tool holders – including an original Multifix that’s one size too big 🙁 – but it’s time to set it up properly.
      What tool posts do people suggest? Are there any good second hand ones out there?

Advert
      John Haine
      Participant
        @johnhaine32865

FWIW I use a Dickson type on my Super 7 and it’s excellent.  Provided you insert the steady pin to stop it rotating under cutting load tools in their holders are dead repeatable.  The 254 may take a larger size than the 7.

lfoggy
        Participant
          @lfoggy

I’ve got a 254s and use the Dickson type tool-post and tool-holders. Same size as Myford 7 series lathes. Dickson of course are long gone but lots of copies around. I have found that the Bison brand are really the only ones worth having.

Dave Wootton
          Participant
            @davewootton

i see you may be modifying your Multifix, but if you decide against it I use the PeeWee tools size AS multifix copy which is made to suit the 254. Made in china but sold through Germany, Still pleased with mine after two years hard use, I originally used the Dixon from my previous 7 series but the AS takes larger tools which suits me better.

Dave Sawdon 1
            Participant
              @davesawdon1

Thanks, Dave.

I doubt I’ll be modifying the holders, but it popped into my head as a possible solution.

The PeeWee tools post looks good. I assume you have the ASD1460 holders (?).

The website doesn’t have dimensions for all the holders
              – which cut-off holder have you got?
              Also, will the ASH1670 boring bar holder take 14mm? (the info in the table is contradictory (“up to 12” and “up to 14”)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)