Which belt for Myford lathe?

Advert

Which belt for Myford lathe?

Home Forums Beginners questions Which belt for Myford lathe?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    gareth689
    Participant
      @gareth689

Hi all, just picked up what I think is a Myford ML7.  Never used a lathe before but it was £200 so just had to.

it does however need a belt to go on this part?  I don’t even know what to search to find it, as I’m clueless.

Could anyone tell me what belt I need for this?

Thank you ☺️

IMG_9479IMG_9475

Advert
      Oldiron
      Participant
        @oldiron

Not a Myford owner but probably an “A” section belt.  Wrap a piece of string around 2 opposing pulleys cut at the overlap and measure the result. That should give you the belt length

Diogenes
        Participant
          @diogenes

It’s an A23, as discussed towards the bottom of this recent thread

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/topic/myford-countershaft-and-belt-help/#post-749144

do read Hopper’s comments about shims etc. which will be encountered when removing and replacing the spindle!

Robert Atkinson 2
          Participant
            @robertatkinson2

If you are not used ot working on this type of machine I strongly suggest you do not disturb the spindle but use a link belt instead of a conventional type. Example from “new” Myford:

https://www.myford.co.uk/product/megadyne-a-section-link-vee-belt-for-myford-lathe-headstock-ml7-ml7-r-super-7/

Other suppliers out there.
            You can fit this with just hand tools and no disassembly.

You got a bargin for £200 enjoy!

Robert.

Roderick Jenkins
            Participant
              @roderickjenkins93242

+1 for the linkbelt, I’ve been using a similar one on my Myford S 7 for about 10 years now.

Rod

Mark Rand
              Participant
                @markrand96270

It’s an ML7, not an S7.

Take the bearing caps off.
                Lift the mandrel out.
                Move the counte rshaft over to one side after loosening the thrust collar and pulley.
                Then fit an new A23 belt.

Far better than the link belts (which don’t fit between the pulley and the counter shaft bracket on early ML7’s).

Harry Wilkes
                Participant
                  @harrywilkes58467
                  On Robert Atkinson 2 Said:

If you are not used ot working on this type of machine I strongly suggest you do not disturb the spindle but use a link belt instead of a conventional type. Example from “new” Myford:

https://www.myford.co.uk/product/megadyne-a-section-link-vee-belt-for-myford-lathe-headstock-ml7-ml7-r-super-7/

Other suppliers out there.
                  You can fit this with just hand tools and no disassembly.

You got a bargin for £200 enjoy!

Robert.

I put a link belt on my S7 but cannot stop it slipping need to bite the bullet and fit the recmemded one

H

noel shelley
                  Participant
                    @noelshelley55608

On a ML7 the belt is an A23 and a link belt has NO benefit. I would not use link belt, it is for lazy ——-s may well slip and cause vibration. Just do the job properly ! Noel.

Diogenes
                    Participant
                      @diogenes

👍 I’m not a huge fan of link belt either..

Gareth, what region of the country do you reside in?

John Haine
                      Participant
                        @johnhaine32865

Link belts are fine if you use the right one and fit it the right way round.  They do need quite a lot of tension.  At one point RDG sold a belt with moulded rubbery plastic links, but they were useless and did nothing but slip.  I bought a proper one that looks like the current “New Myford” item from RS who stock a range of them:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/mechanical-power-transmission/belts-pulleys/link-belts/

I’ve used one on my S7 for years and also on my VMB to connect the 3ph motor to the spindle (having eliminated the central pulley which was just a PITA).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)