What’s the use of this Lever press tool

Advert

What’s the use of this Lever press tool

Home Forums Workshop Tools and Tooling What’s the use of this Lever press tool

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Pete.
    Participant
      @pete-2

I thought cable cutter of some description,  but it has an unnecessarily big throat for just that use, any ideas?

Screenshot_20231129_050435_eBayScreenshot_20231129_050441_eBay

Advert
      Brian Wood
      Participant
        @brianwood45127

Cable crimping tool perhaps

Brian

Nigel Graham 2
        Participant
          @nigelgraham2

I’d agree – some sort of crimping-tool anyway. Though it does make me think of the rod-cutter in some types of bench-shear, consisting of a hole through each blade.

The wide throat suggests it might be for some trade other than electrical: leather-work perhaps?

If there is a maker’s name or trade-mark on the press itself, it might be possible to learn more via that.

Andy_G
          Participant
            @andy_g

Mesh cutter?

Nicholas Farr
            Participant
              @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, I can’t see how it’s a crimping tool, as I’ve never seen one that has a sheering action. The deep throat could just be to give the right amount of leverage to cut either cable or maybe round bar sections. Although the tips might be able to be replaced for other types, and making it into a multi-tool.

Regards Nick.

David-Clark 1
              Participant
                @david-clark1

It looks like a bar cutter. Punch and dies look easily changeable. It looks the wrong hand, I would think the material should be fed from left to right but this might be because the photos are mirror images,

Mike Hurley
                Participant
                  @mikehurley60381

The bottom ‘anvil’ looks easily interchangeable – perhaps for different diameters? But there doesn’t seem an obvious method relating to the top ‘die’ which seems odd?

Unfortunately the photos don’t show the whole unit, which might give further clues e.g does it have a long handle? This may indicate a lot of force available and a cutting action. Are there any ‘stops’ anywhere? There appear to be at least 2 pivotted links (red) – how do they connect? etc etc.

Nice to able to work this one out.

Mike

Pete.
                  Participant
                    @pete-2

Thanks for ideas, I thought Rod cutter, but the edges seem more sharp designed for shearing something that needs a clean edge not sure if they’d hold up to cutting metal Rod,  I’ve added a full pic, off the top of my head the handle is about 12″ to 14″.

Edit, there’s a pin that holds the top cutter in place not in it in the photo if you look carefully,  so probably quite easy to replace as the lower one.

Screenshot_20231129_050429_eBay

David George 1
                    Participant
                      @davidgeorge1

I recently saw one of these cutting 6mm re-bar for concrete fence posts. they just pulled thebar through the jaws to a mark on the bench and cut to correct length depending on length of fence post. These were placed into a mould and filled with concrete.

David

Robert Atkinson 2
                      Participant
                        @robertatkinson2

The main part of the tool can carry other punches / dies. Some applications might need the deep throat. Even the intended one may need it. The dies could be for producing round holes in sheet material. The strange cutting edge shape maybe to produce a clean cut in a specific material with minimal distrortion, or maybe deliberate distortion.
                        But it really does look like a cutter for rod or wire. The die shape would leave the same, but mirrored, distortionn on both bits of wire.

peak4
                        Participant
                          @peak4

I’m guessing it’s a standard toggle press with a variety of uses depending on the dies fitted.
                          Have a look here for one orthodontic use

Bill

bernard towers
                          Participant
                            @bernardtowers37738

Rivet sizer?

noel shelley
                            Participant
                              @noelshelley55608

Bill and Robert I feel have it ! A standard toggle press to which you fit with the punches for your job. I had one like this with different dies to do the holes in number plates when they were metal. Noel

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)