What would be a good ‘micro motor’ and controller?

Advert

What would be a good ‘micro motor’ and controller?

Home Forums Manual machine tools What would be a good ‘micro motor’ and controller?

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Martin of Wick
    Participant
      @martinofwick

As sod says,  Scooter /cycle motors come in various powers, are compact and have a manageable RPM. I use one like  below for a jeweller’s style  sensitive drill running off a 6A 24v black brick PSU with a relatively decent quality DC controller (ie not the cheapest £3 ones!) speed controller. It even came with a 3M timing gear so I only had to get one more for the counter spindle.  More powerful ones are available

Plenty of grunt for drilling all materials up to 10mm and compact, round belt slips long before motor stalls out (except at very low speeds).

Thought about replacing the ex washing machine motor that powers my picador mini wood lathe. The only advantage of the faintly comically sized washing machine motor is that it delivers an almost perfect 1000RPM when supplied with 36V so it can power the lathe spindle directly without too large a pulley.

PNPUQWWPNRPRTMPTNYRPWWQQPVXPTRPWVQVO5b2W

Advert
      Martin of Wick
      Participant
        @martinofwick

Andrew, PM sent…

Clive Steer
        Participant
          @clivesteer55943

The BLDC motor controller type I most often use is eBay number 193 153 079 741 which is rated at 380 W and can also operate over a wide voltage range (12 to 60V).

A smaller less powerful version is eBay number 314 153 079 741 but it is only rated at 40W and limited to no more than 24V.

Both of these types need motors with Hall sensors. There are similar types that don’t need Hall but these won’t work to zero RPM or start against high inertia loads

The out runner BLDC printer motor came from a Chinese supplier called meilianu0 or maybe meilianuO. However the motors I purchased are no longer available.

The same supplier has a lower power version eBay number 226 021 167 408

A more common style BLDC motor is eBay number 285 292 763 888

The Dewalt battery adaptor is eBay number 203 996 988 305

Happy hunting.

CS

Michael Gilligan
          Participant
            @michaelgilligan61133

Thanks for the info. Clive

MichaelG.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)