What is the boiler pressure

Advert

What is the boiler pressure

Home Forums Locomotives What is the boiler pressure

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Callaghan
    Participant
      @michaelcallaghan68621

Hi, can anyone please let me know the correct boiler pressure for a 2 1/2 inch gauge Dyak please.

Advert
      Nigel Graham 2
      Participant
        @nigelgraham2

If you can’t find a definite answer for the design, Martin Evans’ Manual of Model Steam Locomotive Construction recommends 70psi for a 2.5″ g. locomotive. Which seems high but probably necessary for hauling a full-size driver behind it.

Is this for building new, or putting an old model back into service? If the latter and the pressure-gauge is not marked (as it should be), I would take that as a maximum and carefully consider the condition of the boiler; if necessary down-rating it.

If new, the drawings should specify the w.p., surely?

If you intend public running, even if the “public” are fellow model-engineering society members, it will need testing and the boiler inspector will need know the designed (or if down-rated, new) working pressure.

Weary
        Participant
          @weary

80 lbs sq in.

(Curly’s ‘standard’ pressure)

Sample Reference.

Regards,

Phil

Michael Callaghan
          Participant
            @michaelcallaghan68621

Thanks chaps, I think given the age of the boiler 70 psi would be best.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)