What did you do today? 2023

Advert

What did you do today? 2023

Home Forums The Tea Room What did you do today? 2023

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 474 total)
  • Author
    Neil Wyatt
      @neilwyatt
      Posted by Dalboy on 15/08/2023 19:48:14:

While making the Farm boy I needed something to support a piece which overhung the vice so I knocked this little beastie up. Sorry slightly out of focus

milling jack (1).jpg

Something like that would make a great reader's tip or 1-page article for MEW you know

Neil

Advert
      Dalboy
      Participant
        @dalboy

Yet again another side project this time a plate to fit in the mill vice to hold parts which can't be held directly in the vice. This is the start which I did a while back so now need to complete it by drilling and tapping a few holes. This is the second time I have had to come off the Farm Boy build to make a jig or fixture and sure it will not be the last, at least they will also be hand for future work as well.

I will also need to make some small clamps for this as well.

dscf3491.jpg

Dalboy
        Participant
          @dalboy

Drilled 45 holes and started the threaded holes on the mill to finish the tapping by hand in the plate and have tapped the first 9 holes still another 36 to finish before making a start on the clamps

Craig Brown
          Participant
            @craigbrown60096

20230906_120631.jpg

The outside of the shed is complete all bar the guttering which is probably what I should be doing in this nice weather but I want to get the 2k epoxy floor paint down and give it chance to cure before I start moving machines around on it

bernard towers
            Participant
              @bernardtowers37738

looks a whole lot better than your 13 aug photo

bernard towers
              Participant
                @bernardtowers37738

Finally assembled the Humbug in glow form and it runs!!!

Nigel Graham 2
                Participant
                  @nigelgraham2

Laboriously drew my engine's cylinders in Alibre, which appears to have survived its "up-dating" antics last night. Then found a measuring mistake meant I had to try and trim one end and stick some "metal" on the other, necessitating re-drawing the ports at that end.

It finished a bit of a mess. I'll have to redraw it if I want to produce working drawings from it.

I had built in some peculiar errors in the cylinder block, producing various unforeseen conflicts such as studs meeting passages, over-complicated fabrication and inadequate sealing surface areas, many years after starting it, so will have to start again from scratch.

Otherwise I spent an hour or so working on the "plug-in" bunk I've made for my car, spartan but adequate for a couple of nights at my caving-club or on a rally field. Kipping in there when the steam-wagon's loaded is rather a challenge!

Chris Mate
                  Participant
                    @chrismate31303

Some time ago I bought a "Precission" 90 degree square, very well made on the face of it. The other day I want to use it on the mill, I dicovered its loose, can't believe it was a pressfit glued(Was used before, maybe solvents effected the glue). So today was my 2nd attemp to clamp it between 1-2-3 blocks properly like a jig at 90 degrees and properly clamped. I switched the blade around and redrilled 6mm holes to fit two hollow pins, then glue those innersides with strong cement rawbolt glue. So I will know tomorrow if this attemp was successfull testing it with the line drawmethod using the same square.

Edited By Chris Mate on 21/09/2023 22:53:46

Nicholas Farr
                    Participant
                      @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, I've made a lifting bar from bits of scrap, this is to be able to lift my old Chester Champion milling machine in place where there is a shortage of height, as it's currently standing on my mobile slide compound mitre saw bench / storage cupboard, waiting for it's new stand that I'm making.

lifting bar 1.jpg

You may notice a block of steel on the Y axis, this was to level it it from back to front, as having to swing the head round, made the back heavy.

lifting bar 2.jpg

Regards Nick.

Andrew Johnston
                      Participant
                        @andrewjohnston13878

I stopped posting about progress on my traction engines on here some time ago. However, yesterday at the Forncett Steam Museum model engineers day, I got a flea in my ear about not posting. Sadly I didn't get the name of the gentleman that gave me said flea, or more likely I've forgotten it.

Over the summer I have been busy in the garden and flying. For both gliding and power I needed to do revalidation flights, and CAA paperwork in the case of power.

More recently I have been working on the tenders for my engines. The first job was to machine, and flange, the sides from 3mm steel sheet. For economy reasons I used oxy-propane for heating rather than oxy-acetylene. Previous duff attempts had shown that I needed to use a lot of clamps. Initial flanging was done with a home made wooden mallet, followed by a steel bolster and copper mallet to tap the flange into close contact with the steel former:

tender flanging setup.jpg

After forming the sides were convex, due to the flange shrinking as it cooled. Ideally I wanted the sides to be slightly concave as this would make assembly easier. The distortion was removed by clamping the side over a steel rod, heating the flange to red along it's length and then letting it cool. Excess concavity was removed by heating an inch or so of the flange and letting it cool with the plate unclamped:

removing_distortion.jpg

All four sides flanged, the flanges machined to size and cleaned up with files and an abrasive rotary wheel in the electric drill:

tender sides.jpg

Note: One of the reasons I gave up posting was due to snide comments. I have a well equipped workshop with, mostly, ex-industrial machine tools which I run to the limits. Time is precious and I don't like to waste it. I also use 3D CAD, CAM and CNC milling. So if any member doesn't like what I do keep it to yourself, I;ve heard it before, and it is your problem, not mine!

Andrew

Philip Rowe
                        Participant
                          @philiprowe13116

Andrew,

There are always going to be issues with some people but as you say they should just keep it to themselves. Personally I like to see your progress as it is on a very large scale compared to my activities.

Also I used to thoroughly enjoy your postings about your flying and gliding experiences. Phil

Brian Baker 2
                          Participant
                            @brianbaker2

383896479_640530291534702_3859779291314847710_n.jpg384090404_139823705875580_3314802186058429405_n.jpgFinally got round to uploading photos of "Sir Nigel Gresley", taken after 5 years work.383144452_6478954492201657_6101808439455627661_n.jpg 384192096_1003095744492476_3324836503744751266_n.jpg

Edited By Brian Baker 1 on 02/10/2023 16:50:51

gary
                            Participant
                              @gary44937

ANDREW good progress and good to see you posting again.

Keith Rogers 2
                              Participant
                                @keithrogers2

Andrew.

See, I told you it wasn't only me that wanted to know your progress on the Traction engines.

Good to see you back.

I must say it's nice to be called a gentleman!

Regards Keith.

Nicholas Farr
                                Participant
                                  @nicholasfarr14254

Hi Andrew, nice looking work you've done there. Don't let those snidey ones get to you, they are probably just jealous. Keep on posting about your traction engines as they are interesting, and the methods you use can help a lot of people.

I like your Sir "Nigel Gresley" Brian, I've travelled behind the full size one a few times.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 02/10/2023 19:39:42

Andrew Johnston
                                  Participant
                                    @andrewjohnston13878
                                    Posted by Keith Rogers 2 on 02/10/2023 17:33:37:

See, I told you it wasn't only me that wanted to know your progress…

You were right and I was wrong!

Andrew

Andrew Johnston
                                    Participant
                                      @andrewjohnston13878

The first task on the tender sides after flanging was to add the angles on the inside that will form part of the frame for the water tank:

tender side - riveting angles.jpg

The rivets are 1/8" diameter steel. The inner side will never be seen so a whack with a hammer to close the rivet is all that is required. The rivet dolly, setting tool and "bolster" are home made from hardened and tempered silver steel. The items with yellow bottoms are skinpins. They are normally used in aircraft sheet metalwork for holding sheets in place while they are being riveted onto frames. Yellow denotes a skinpin suitable for 1/8" rivets. To start with rivets were placed at each end and at several places in the middle. The gaps were then filled in. This avoids cumulative issues with the pre-drilled holes failing to line up as the metal stretches very slightly when a rivet is closed.

Once the angles are fitted the two sides can be held apart ready for the bottom/back sheet to be riveted in place.

tender side fixture.jpg

The spacer bars are machined to an accurate, 1 thou or so, length of 9.5" which is the outside spacing of the hornplates that the tender needs to fit over.

Andrew

NB: An alternative to skinpins are Clecos, which are fitted using special pliers to compress them for insertion and then released. I have some Clecos, but no pliers, so I decided to stick with the manual skinpins. I had a few in stock but was able to buy more online as mine are old and not in the best of shape.

Keith Rogers 2
                                      Participant
                                        @keithrogers2

laugh

Keith.

Taf_Pembs
                                        Participant
                                          @taf_pembs

Very impressive Andrew, very impressive..thumbs up

5 years work you say for "Sir Nigel Gresley"..? was that 18 hours a day every day?!

Chris Gunn
                                          Participant
                                            @chrisgunn36534

Andrew, looking at the pics of the tender sides leaning against the wall, it looks llke you will have a RH and LH set, judging by the cut outs. Just curious why that should be.

Keep up the good work. Chris Gunn

Nigel Graham 2
                                            Participant
                                              @nigelgraham2

Fine work! I will follow the traction-engine progress with interest.

I recall seeing skin-pins used by one of the metalworkers in a small contract electronics-engineering company for which I worked many moons ago, but rarely since.I didn''t realise they are colour-coded for diameter.

If they are still made at all, I'd think them something our tool suppliers might consider stocking, or at least able to obtain on order.

Thank you for the tip on rivetting to avoid problems with stretching.

Emgee
                                              Participant
                                                @emgee

The tender sides look very good in the pictures but more impressive if seen in the flesh, very nice work.

Emgee

duncan webster 1
                                                Participant
                                                  @duncanwebster1

When I was still in the day job we used to make large stainless containment boxes which had radiused corners (makes them easier to clean). Instead of trying to form the corners they had a square cut away, the sides folded round and then a made from solid hemisphere chopped into 4 welded in and dressed off. You wouldn't have seen the join. I the link some loco firebox end plates have been done the same way

Edited By duncan webster on 03/10/2023 23:37:05

Andrew Johnston
                                                  Participant
                                                    @andrewjohnston13878

Thanks to one and all for the kind words; it does help. smile

Skinpins are still available. I bought mine online from the manufacturer:

Skinpins

The online ordering process was simple, just how it should be, but often isn't. I bought 20 for £35 including VAT and delivery.

Andrew

Andrew Johnston
                                                    Participant
                                                      @andrewjohnston13878
                                                      Posted by Chris Gunn on 03/10/2023 21:43:23:

…it looks llke you will have a RH and LH set, judging by the cut outs.

I'm not sure I understand the question?

I am building two engines, hence four sides in total. The right and left hand sides are different. The RH side has the rectangular cutout for the water pocket. The LH side has the bigger cutout at the top so the driver can get into position without damaging himself.

Andrew

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 474 total)
                                                    • The topic ‘What did you do today? 2023’ is closed to new replies.

Advert

Latest Replies

Home Forums The Tea Room Topics

Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
                                                    Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

View full reply list.

Advert