What did you do Today 2024

Advert

What did you do Today 2024

Home Forums The Tea Room What did you do Today 2024

Viewing 2 posts - 401 through 402 (of 402 total)
  • Author
    Nigel Graham 2
    Participant
      @nigelgraham2

Not only complex mechanically. There was a heck of a lot of advanced maths in designing steam locomotives.

I’m presently overhauling a long-stored 7-1/4″ gauge loco, a freelanced, doubled version of LBSC’s Juliet design – but this evening finally carried out a minor repair on my Myford lathe!

The Workshop Gremlins had long since spirited away the knob from the end of the half-nuts lever. By chance I found a spare spherical knob on a short rod – from what I don’t know – so I modified that to suit.

That should make screw-cutting less painful. The bare end of the little lever is a bit sharp!

All I need do now is determine why it is frequently very difficult to engage the half-nuts, necessitating briskly bringing the handle up and waiting for the next number on the dial to amble round…..

Advert
      Nicholas Farr
      Participant
        @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, I needed four more T- Nuts for my tilting table, so today I decided to make some from a piece of 12mm thick flat black bar. After cleaning off the mill scale, I trued up all the four edges, and set it up in my vice, on my mini mill, then reduced the thickness down to 11mm, 20mm in on each side. I then mill the two outer edges and two channels, to a depth of 5mm, to form the part of the nut, that fits into the slots of the tilting table surface.

T - Nuts 1

When these were done, the piece of flat bar was long enough yo make six T-Nuts, and so I drilled and tapped six holes for 6mm threaded rod, and then hacksawed two slots in each side to produce my six nuts.

T - Nuts 2

Tomorrow. I will now be able to cut the nuts off the rest of the bar, in my band-saw.

Regards Nick.

Viewing 2 posts - 401 through 402 (of 402 total)