welding

Advert

welding

Home Forums Beginners questions welding

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    the artfull-codger
    Participant
      @theartfull-codger

cobra dch 2000

Advert
      the artfull-codger
      Participant
        @theartfull-codger
        hello, has anyone had, or does anyone use a cobra dhc 2000 welding torch?, I’ve watched the video & it looks like gr8 tool, but not spoken to anyone who has actually used one to say if it’s good bad or indifferent, your comments would be greatly appreciated.
                    many thanks  Graham.
        Ian Abbott
        Participant
          @ianabbott31222
          I did a quick search, not having heard of the Cobra.

So, I’ve not handled this torch, but any product where AMAZING! and like full caps. superlatives crop up on every line of advertising must be suspect.Looking at the torch, I’d say that it would be impossible to use in any tight corners such as a firebox and my hand would be way too close to the hot bits.  As for 4 lbs pressure, other than for cutting, that’s not much different that normal acetylene pressure for a small tip.  A comment on one of the promos says that the lower pressure prevents “blowout” of the puddle, but that’s not really a problem for most people.  It’s been a while since I bought a torch, so I don’t know how the price compares. I would be interested in what users say about it though. 

Ian 

russell
          Participant
            @russell
            hi graham

i’ve had one for 20 years (formerly known as dillon then henrob then i think a lot of other names.)

i am very happy with it. I found it very easy to use, even welded al drink cans. Its probably not a torch for very heavy items, but then you’d probably arc of some sort anyway. cuts nicely.

i guess the short length gives a bit more control, but as Ian suggested, your hand is close to the hot stuff. Good glove is essential. There is a heat shield (at least, in my ancient kit!)  which helps. 

if you can buy from someone who can demo it one-to-one or even better include some lessons, there are some neat tricks it does.

hope this helps….

russell (australia)
            andy mulholland
            Participant
              @andymulholland30577
              hi graham, ive had one for a couple of years.  i cant compare it with other torches because its the only one ive used. previous experience was all mig and arc.  it is a nice torch to use been good with thiner sheet etc. it stops been as good at around 1/4 inch, but arc is a better bet by then anyway.  i can make a far better job on aluminium  since i got it and managed some good repairs on motorcycle casings. the cutting ability can give some great results in terms of finish but does take some practice. it may be a little heavy and im sure i would benefit from fittting smaller hoses.  i also machined adapter sleves to allow the fitting of standard 3/8 bsp hose fittings straight to the torch and that does away with the supplied check valves. if you want any other info or i can help in any other way message me with a phone no and ill get in touch.
                                                                                regards andy
              the artfull-codger
              Participant
                @theartfull-codger
                Hi Ian, Russell &Andy,
                                                  Thanks for taking the time to reply to my posting, I’m  allways a bit suspicius of ”buzz” words in adverts & 4psi is about what I use with a boc gun anyway, but obviously both Russell & Andy have got one of these torches & it ”does what it says on the tin” (or box!!) so I am really gratefull for your comments,& thanks Andy , if I need any more info I will give you my phone number, I shall certainly be keeping my eyes open for one. thanks once again
                                                    Regards Graham.
                Versaboss
                Participant
                  @versaboss

I just accidentally discovered this thread, and the mist cleared when I saw the names ‘Henrob’ and ‘Dillon’. Yes, I also have such a set, and also bought it after it was recommended in the model-engineering mailing list. It really is the ‘poor man’s TIG’.
                  Btw, it is the low oxygene pressure which makes the difference, not the acetylene. My ‘standard’ burners need 2.5 bar ox. pressure against 0.3 for the Dillon. That results in a much ‘softer’ flame. And yes, for me at least is the blowing away of the puddle a probem.

Furter issues:
                  ‘short burner length’: an extension tube is available. For silver soldering a 7 1/4″ loco boiler you are better off with a special soldering tip on a standard torch
                  ‘for thinner materials only’: yes, but as others said over 5 mm I would use stick. I have got (at the recommendation of the vendor) some special tips for the really thin stuff.

I got mine from the manufacturer in Sweden (Skandria AB), and it was a bit pricey (+/- 600 Euro iirc).
                  Sorry I yust discovered that their webpage is deleted, but they are still mentioned in one of the other sites.
                  My contact (last in 2007) was Lars-Göran östergren, email lars@scandria.se

the artfull-codger
                  Participant
                    @theartfull-codger
                    Hi Versaboss,
                                             ” Every little helps” as tesco says,a little bit more info’ to mull over, many thanks for the reply, this forum is a gr8 resource for us all ,you can find out all sorts & it helps you make decisions on purchases & workshop info.
                                                                            Regards Graham.
                    Ian Abbott
                    Participant
                      @ianabbott31222
                      Summat’s wrong wit’ web site t’night……  Keeps logging me out, “Can’t find the server”, etc, etc….   If I get this message over I’ll consider myself lucky.

Anyway,  years ago I bought a BernzOmatic Oxy-Propane  torch as an alternative to lugging the big bottles around for a bit of thin brazing and such.  I can’t remember what the price was, but it was quite cheap.

So, it’s still available and would be  handy for hobby stuff.I can’t get the photo albums to work, but I’ll keep trying and put a picture of the torch up.

Ian 

Ian Abbott
                      Participant
                        @ianabbott31222
                        ‘Kay, the photos seem to be working now.  The postings are running under the ads though, oh well.

Anyway the photo of the BrenzOmatic Oxy-Propane torch should be showing on the albums bit on the Home page.

Ian 
                        Ian Abbott
                        Participant
                          @ianabbott31222
                          Sorry, it should of course read “BernzOmatic”, not “BrenzOmatic”, s’been a long day.

Ian 
                        Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)