Wanted – a guide to adhesives

Advert

Wanted – a guide to adhesives

Home Forums Books Wanted – a guide to adhesives

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gitsham
    Participant
      @bobgitsham90361
      Posted by David Standing 1 on 19/09/2017 09:50:03:

Posted by Bob Gitsham on 19/09/2017 08:14:49:

Posted by Tim Stevens on 18/09/2017 18:00:09:

Indeed, this is the case. Then, I wanted to stick an aluminium sheet to a marine ply panel. Last week it was to stick ABS letters to a plastic-coated plate. Next week it will be some other combination, I'm sure. I am particularly keen to find adhesives which are not affected by plasticiser migration, which is especially common with PVC stuff (including vehicle wiring).

And it does seem that the only serious tomes are intended for serious professionals and cost serious three-figure money.

Thanks, everyone, for trying to help.

Regards, Tim

Tim,

For your first problem I would suggest any reputable brand of contact adhesive, This stuff is realy tough, and will survive all sorts of situations.

Your next problem to stick ABS letters to a plastic coated plate.. depends a lot on the environment it will be used in, and how long it has to last. There are some very good double sided tapes available, real industrial strength and not very expensive, also available in small quantities.

Rather than look for a one size fits all publication on the subject, which I'm fairly certain doesn't exist, Why don't you pose the question on this forum whenever a new problem arises, I'm sure you'll get plenty of prompt, knowlegable replies.

You could also do as I have done and simply arm yourself with a few good quality standby products that will, suit most general purpose situations, and then when a specific application comes up then ask for help.

Edited By Bob Gitsham on 19/09/2017 08:17:10

If you want to quote someone else's post(s) without getting yours all mixed up with it, start your comment below the vertical line on the left of the text smiley

Sorry I didn't see any instructionon how to do that, I hope this is correct. Thanks.

Advert
      David Standing 1
      Participant
        @davidstanding1
        Posted by Bob Gitsham on 20/09/2017 03:13:09:

Posted by David Standing 1 on 19/09/2017 09:50:03:

Posted by Bob Gitsham on 19/09/2017 08:14:49:

Posted by Tim Stevens on 18/09/2017 18:00:09:

Indeed, this is the case. Then, I wanted to stick an aluminium sheet to a marine ply panel. Last week it was to stick ABS letters to a plastic-coated plate. Next week it will be some other combination, I'm sure. I am particularly keen to find adhesives which are not affected by plasticiser migration, which is especially common with PVC stuff (including vehicle wiring).

And it does seem that the only serious tomes are intended for serious professionals and cost serious three-figure money.

Thanks, everyone, for trying to help.

Regards, Tim

Tim,

For your first problem I would suggest any reputable brand of contact adhesive, This stuff is realy tough, and will survive all sorts of situations.

Your next problem to stick ABS letters to a plastic coated plate.. depends a lot on the environment it will be used in, and how long it has to last. There are some very good double sided tapes available, real industrial strength and not very expensive, also available in small quantities.

Rather than look for a one size fits all publication on the subject, which I'm fairly certain doesn't exist, Why don't you pose the question on this forum whenever a new problem arises, I'm sure you'll get plenty of prompt, knowlegable replies.

You could also do as I have done and simply arm yourself with a few good quality standby products that will, suit most general purpose situations, and then when a specific application comes up then ask for help.

Edited By Bob Gitsham on 19/09/2017 08:17:10

If you want to quote someone else's post(s) without getting yours all mixed up with it, start your comment below the vertical line on the left of the text smiley

Sorry I didn't see any instructionon how to do that, I hope this is correct. Thanks.

You got it smiley

Ed Dinning 1
        Participant
          @eddinning1

Hi gents, coming onto this thread a little late, but Loctite produced a "World Design Handbook in various editions. Mine is from 1996/97 and full of hard to find information on their products.

Ed

Andy Holdaway
          Participant
            @andyholdaway

There is also this one that looks pretty good.

Andy

Neil Wyatt
              @neilwyatt
              Posted by Andy Holdaway on 16/11/2017 21:31:06:

There is also this one that looks pretty good.

Andy

The only problem with Henkel/Loctite is they have produced so many guides you need a guide to choosing which guide to use… but I see that's the 2017 version so thanks for posting the link.

That said, it doesn't cover joint design, a shame they don't pull everything together in one document.

Neil

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 16/11/2017 21:43:30

Michael Gilligan
              Participant
                @michaelgilligan61133

Posted by Neil Wyatt on 16/11/2017 21:39:43:

… a shame they don't pull everything together in one document.

dont know

How long has hypertext been available ? [ it certainly pre-dates the internet].

It's a shame that so few 'electronic documents' use it to real effect.

This example, despite showing its age, is one of the few:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/quarwv.html

[ I've chosen an arbitrary start page ]

A guide to Adhesives could [should?] be made in that style.

MichaelG.

Enough!
                Participant
                  @enough
                  Posted by Michael Gilligan on 16/11/2017 22:06:25:

How long has hypertext been available ? [ it certainly pre-dates the internet].

I think I must have the polar-opposite viewpoint. I hate with a vengeance. documents that split descriptions, instructions etc over many, many web-pages. You can never see the thing "as a whole" and making a hard copy is impossible.

The worst culprits are the various public-domain maker communities with their wiki documentation.

Michael Gilligan
                  Participant
                    @michaelgilligan61133
                    Posted by Bandersnatch on 17/11/2017 01:04:27:

Posted by Michael Gilligan on 16/11/2017 22:06:25:

I think I must have the polar-opposite viewpoint. < etc. >

Actually, I think we may be in general agreement

.. you have just elaborated on my comment.

MichaelG.

Ian S C
                    Participant
                      @iansc

I picked up a copy of "Loctite Worldwide Design Handbook" 1996/97 edition at the local church fair a coup;e of months ago. It's a hard cover book of about 460 pages, it has information about the various Loctite products, and the use etc. Some of it is possibly out of date, but most of it is ok.

Ian S C

Martin 100
                      Participant
                        @martin100

RS has a quite comprehensive adhesives datasheet, it's over a decade since it was last updated though and I suspect many of the product codes are no longer available.  (225kB pdf file)

**LINK**

Edited By Martin 100 on 17/11/2017 11:42:23

Enough!
                        Participant
                          @enough
                          Posted by Michael Gilligan on 17/11/2017 08:44:29:

Actually, I think we may be in general agreement

.. you have just elaborated on my comment.

Ah yes …. I do see. Shoulda pushed on through the obfuscation wink

Danny M2Z
                          Participant
                            @dannym2z

The quotes that I see are all very good information but obviously biased towards the vendors' products.

Not to say there is anything wrong with them as I have used many of them, and they all seem to work.

Neil – This topic deserves to become a 'sticky' ? cheeky

* Danny M *

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)