Vulcan Beam Engine Restoration

Advert

Vulcan Beam Engine Restoration

Home Forums Work In Progress and completed items Vulcan Beam Engine Restoration

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Peter Hoerlein
    Participant
      @peterhoerlein37724

I inherited a part finished Vulcan Beam Engine from My Dad.  He never got it running so I thought I would give it a go to see if I could get it running.  Here is a photo of what I started with 60902B60-694A-4B0E-B25F-2ED1DD3F4FC6_1_105_c

Advert
      Jim Nic
      Participant
        @jimnic

That looks like a fair challenge.  Good luck

Jim

paul rayner
        Participant
          @paulrayner36054

nice

Peter Hoerlein
          Participant
            @peterhoerlein37724

Thanks Jim,

I have tried a couple of times to add some more photos but it has failed.  I will try with just one photo and see if works.  Most of the components had to be remade or re-machined here is a progress photo

5D04FB26-DB25-4190-BC28-9E520E591F99_1_105_c

Well that seemed to work I will try some more.  The bridle links were remade as the originals were all different lengths.  The suspension links were remade to the original specification.  Machining the 10BA threads on the end of the link straps was tricky lots of .002″ cuts and a double run over with the 10BA die.

005893C4-71B3-4D15-843E-71DEB4567ABE_1_105_c

I finally got the engine running on air.  Very satisfying, only wish dad could see it.

87CE6642-C16F-486B-8CD0-1644BB3A1993_1_105_c

roy entwistle
            Participant
              @royentwistle24699

Peter  Your last couple of photos don’t show

Thor 🇳🇴
              Participant
                @thor

Well done Peter.

Thor

Ches Green UK
                Participant
                  @chesgreenuk

Peter,

What a good looking machine, and well done on completing and getting it running.

Is there a picture of the finished painted engine?

Ches

Peter Hoerlein
                  Participant
                    @peterhoerlein37724

Roy,

I think the size of my photos are too large.  I have reduced the sizes of my photos and hence resolution.  Here are the last two photos I have posted.

Detail of the drop links

IMG_1031

IMG_1029

Peter Hoerlein
                    Participant
                      @peterhoerlein37724

Ches,

It is not quite finished yet.  I have some steam/water pipes and fittings to make and mount the stop valve and then paint.  Almost done but I have put some more progress photos.

In the mean time I have started another project for one of my grandson’s birthday in February and need to get that finished and then get the Vulcan finished.

The engine was mounted on a 4mm steel plate and attached to Dads original wooden base which was quite well made.

IMG_1264

The pump was re-machined and fitted to a new brass water tank.

IMG_1268

Some steps and railings were added.

IMG_1267

Peter Hoerlein
                      Participant
                        @peterhoerlein37724

Some other constructors of the Vulcan have found that the entablature bosses have been casted in the wrong.  Location.  I found the same thing and machined away the bosses and drilled the entablature at the correct location and silver soldered new bosses at the correct location.  When the 3/32″ pin hole was drilled 3 1/6″ from the end of the entablature it was dead centre on the bosses.  I found that this length was critical to get the piston rod to run true to the cylinder

IMG_1286

IMG_1287

Peter Hoerlein
                        Participant
                          @peterhoerlein37724

Edgar T Westbury published a governor design for the Vulcan and I thought I would give it a go.

The governor valve was quite tricky to make and I had three goes at making the spindle. Has anyone else made one of these valves? As I would like to know any times or tricks in making it.   Here is my completed valve.

IMG_1285

The bevel gears were imperial and I could not find a supplier of small DP gears so I had a go at machining them.  I had to make the cutters first and then machine the gears.  It was an interesting exercise and the gears turned out OK for a first attempt.

IMG_1304

The bridge piece was cast in bronze from a 3D print.  It was first go at casting and the piece was not perfect but it was usable and machined up OK.

IMG_1329

Here is the finished governor.  I have found it to be mainly ornamental as it does not control speed and is either fully open or fully closed.  The valve passes and I am not sure how to improve it.  Has anyone else had experience with small governor valves?  and getting them to work properly?

IMG_1346

noel shelley
                          Participant
                            @noelshelley55608

The issue of the governer valve may be due to a lack of, or to much damping (friction) ? Or links that are to short ? That bronze casting looks fine from here ! Noel.

Ches Green UK
                            Participant
                              @chesgreenuk

Peter,

I built the Stuart Governor for my Stuart Beam.

It is run off compressed air, and from what I could tell the Governor control of air entering the cylinder was either On or Off. However, steam may behave differently?

Ches

duncan webster 1
                              Participant
                                @duncanwebster1

Small governors are tricky. I think they have to be driven faster than full size, but memory might play me false. There was a very good article by Tubal Cain (the English one, not that American upstart) in ME many years ago. If you want a copy send me a pm

Ches Green UK
                                Participant
                                  @chesgreenuk

Duncan,

I found this ME 2017 thread (which you participated in) on Steam Engine Governors ….https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/topic/steam-engine-governors/

Down at the smaller modelling scale some forces, that were insignificant at full size, start to play a more important role eg stiction. It’s a very good read for me.

Ches

Peter Hoerlein
                                  Participant
                                    @peterhoerlein37724

Thanks Noel,

I found that if I had the air pressure just right the governor would be oscillate between open and close and attempt to control speed and hence some dampening would improve control.  I was also wondering the same thing as Ches to see if steam behave differently to air.  I will attache my boiler and see what difference it makes.

Ches, Ducan,

Thanks for info and link I will need to digest it all.  I think I have managed to reduce stiction as much as possible but the travel in the governor is quite small and the lever arm is quite long and hence quite a bit of gain probably making whole system unstable.

I have spent most of my working career calibrating and tuning electro-hydraulic governor on large steam turbines in the power industry but these small mechanical governors are a different beast.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)