Verniers 101

Advert

Verniers 101

Home Forums Beginners questions Verniers 101

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Graham Horne
    Participant
      @grahamhorne65034
      Remind me please, how it goes. I have a 5″ chuck with a 10 deg indexing ring and I would like to make a ‘banana’ shaped vernier ring to put in between the fixed peg and the ring. You know, round one major (10 deg) peg hole then back nine on the vernier might give me an increase of 1 deg. Will it work?
      Of course I first have to remember, or be told, is it nine into ten or ten into eleven or ???. Suppose I could make a wooden mock-up. Howgozit?  GH
      Advert
      Graham Horne
      Participant
        @grahamhorne65034

10 degree index chuck needs degrees of 1

AndyP
        Participant
          @andyp13730
          I reckon you would need 10 divisions on your vernier in the length occupied by 9 on the indexing ring – just from looking at my venier calipers you understand!
          Andy
          George Shone
          Participant
            @georgeshone63264
            In addition to AndyP’s comment, you may wish to spread your 10 divs over 18 lengths of the indexing ring! it takes a bit more counting but the difference between the divisions are a whole lot easer to see (twice as easy in fact)
            George
          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)