UPT – Model Engineers’ Workshop magazine #334

Advert

UPT – Model Engineers’ Workshop magazine #334

Home Forums General Questions UPT – Model Engineers’ Workshop magazine #334

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    flatline
    Participant
      @flatline

Good Morning,

I have just purchased back issue #334 (Dec 2023), specifically for the article on the UPT.

the article indicates that there was a follow-up article planned…. Can anyone tell me in which issue this was published??

I am new to model engineering & have just taken out my subscription to MEW, so please be patient with me!!

TIA 😎🇬🇧👍

Advert
      John Hinkley
      Participant
        @johnhinkley26699

There are follow-up articles – parts 2,3 and 4 – in issues 335, 336 and 337.

John

P.S. As you have a subscription (digital?) you’d be able to access these back issues there.

flatline
        Participant
          @flatline

Many thanks John, I have a print subscription – not sure if this gives me digital access too(?)..

bernard towers
          Participant
            @bernardtowers37738

Mine did for a while now its ACCESS DENIED!!!!

Nicholas Farr
            Participant
              @nicholasfarr14254

Hi flatline, you don’t get access to the digital archive with a print only subscription.

Regards Nick.

Hopper
              Participant
                @hopper

If you are thinking of making a UPT, it is well worth buying G H Thomas’s original book “Workshop Techniques” from Tee Publishing. Contains all the original drawings and instructions.

His other book “Model Engineers Workshop Manual” is also well worth having for general purposes.

flatline
                Participant
                  @flatline

Many thanks for the advice, I also have several other publications, including his book ‘Building the Universal Pillar Drill’ – it looks like quite a project for an inexperienced lathe user, and perhaps a little much for a Myford Super-7, given the amount of cast-iron milling involved??

Having said that, my machine managed the Tool Height Gauge from Hemmingway ok, although I have yet to mill the final ‘flat’ on the base… for my first project I am pretty happy with the result.IMG_3355

JasonB
                    @jasonb

I think you will find most of the older model engineering designs were capable of being made with just a Myford combined with a vertical slide.

Recent article in 334,5 & 6 about the UPT including fitting a modern variable speed motor.

Craig Brown
                    Participant
                      @craigbrown60096
                      On flatline Said:

Having said that, my machine managed the Tool Height Gauge from Hemmingway ok, although I have yet to mill the final ‘flat’ on the base… for my first project I am pretty happy with the result.

For an “inexperienced lathe user” that looks pretty good from where I’m sat

flatline
                      Participant
                        @flatline
                        On Craig Brown Said:
                        On flatline Said:

Having said that, my machine managed the Tool Height Gauge from Hemmingway ok, although I have yet to mill the final ‘flat’ on the base… for my first project I am pretty happy with the result.

For an “inexperienced lathe user” that looks pretty good from where I’m sat

Thank you. I bought my 1955 Super-7 on 28th May this year; once I’d got it home and set up I turned the standard ‘test-piece’ as outlined in the Myford manual – I had to adjust the bed slightly to get a good result, and a small re-wire between the switch & motor as the original was a little tired & not ideal.

My previous lathe experience was a couple of metalwork lessons @ school in the late 1970’s, and a very brief time with a motorcycle race-team as a volunteer in the workshop, where I made a couple of small spacers in aluminium.

Apart from that I have read quite allot, and watched some tutorials on YouTube…

I am certainly please with my first proper project – I’d put it down to allot of forethought & a fairly meticulous approach based on what I’d read or seen on YouTube….

I am very tempted to embark upon the UPT, but it is still a pretty daunting second project for a newbie…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)