Unusual Roller Type Tooling?

Advert

Unusual Roller Type Tooling?

Home Forums Help and Assistance! (Offered or Wanted) Unusual Roller Type Tooling?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Martin King 2
    Participant
      @martinking2

Hi All,

This lot came in with some watchmaking tools and a Pultra lathe that i have been after for a long while!

I do not think they are to do with watch or clock making but not sure and would love some info on them please.

They are of hardened steel. Cheers, Martin

boxwatch 1boxwatch 2

Advert
      Mark Rand
      Participant
        @markrand96270

Rolls for a wire/rod bender?

Diogenes
        Participant
          @diogenes

..^//or tube bender.?.  ..do the numbers refer to the diameter of the material to be formed..?

Martin King 2
          Participant
            @martinking2

Hi All

Someone has said they are jewelers ring formers but I do not see how you would get the ring of the tool?

Martin

Michael Gilligan
            Participant
              @michaelgilligan61133

“Someone” was quite correct, Martin

But the point, perhaps not mentioned, is that the tool is used for re-forming the shape before soldering the ends.

MichaelG.

The classic bench tool looks like this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300401358053

Robert Atkinson 2
              Participant
                @robertatkinson2

For a ring rolling tool these would be the part that is rotated around the outside of the ring with a mandrel on the inside. These are sized for the rod diameter, the mandrel sizedfor the ring diameter. The rings may or may not be jewlery.

Martin King 2
                Participant
                  @martinking2

Michael, Thank you so much, very helpful indeed.

Regards, Martin

DC31k
                  Participant
                    @dc31k
                    On Robert Atkinson 2 Said:

These are sized for the rod diameter, the mandrel sized for the ring diameter. The rings may or may not be jewelery.

In the eBay link, the mandrel is plain, suggesting the item to be rolled is flat where it touches on the inside.

Hence, I wonder if there is a better descriptive term than ‘rod diameter’. Let us say I want to roll a ring tomorrow. What should I search for to find the correct shape of material to use? I can find ‘half round bar’ but would a ring use material that is full semi-circle?

Second, what do the numbers in the photo above refer to? Is it simply that 4 is bigger than 3 or do they relate to a measurement system?

Michael Gilligan
                    Participant
                      @michaelgilligan61133

[update]

See here, under “Stretching stone-set rings”

https://blog.esslinger.com/how-to-size-a-ring-by-stretching/

A tool is a tool … you use it in such a way that it does what you want to achieve.

[ I have mostly seen these used to stretch simple rings that have been cut off the finger, hence my first description ]

MichaelG.

Nigel Graham 2
                      Participant
                        @nigelgraham2

I think jewellery rings are of part-circular form, but I would first see if the numbers are of mm.

Measure the diameters of the grooves themselves (not of the entire roller) and see if the sizes and numbers correspond.

Bear in mind they might be slightly shallower than a full semi-circle, but if so should follow a regular, identical or proportional, difference.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)