Unidentified Tool, similar to a ‘push-pin’

Advert

Unidentified Tool, similar to a ‘push-pin’

Home Forums Workshop Tools and Tooling Unidentified Tool, similar to a ‘push-pin’

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mike Donnerstag
    Participant
      @mikedonnerstag
      Advert
      Mike Donnerstag
      Participant
        @mikedonnerstag

Below is a photograph of a tool I can't identify (the one with the aluminium handle), underneath a tool that seems to operate in a similar way that is used to push panel-pins into wood, known as a 'push-pin'. Unlike the push-pin, the aluminium-handled tool has a central plunger that is flush with the sprung tube, making me think it is for a different purpose.

Push-pin and unidentified tool

Does anyone recognise what this is (the aluminium-handled tool, that is)?

Cheers,

Mike

Edited By Mike Donnerstag on 18/12/2022 21:14:18

Clive Hartland
        Participant
          @clivehartland94829

This item is used by Beekeepers making up frames to push the frame nails into position before hammering them in.

john halfpenny
          Participant
            @johnhalfpenny52803

Surely for pushing panel pins below the surface after they have been knocked flush, or making a starting hole for a panel pin( if I have understood your description Mike)

Edited By john halfpenny on 18/12/2022 21:35:49

Mike Donnerstag
            Participant
              @mikedonnerstag

I see – so the top (wooden-handled) one is for pushing the pin in, and the bottom (aluminium-handled) one is for sinking the pin head below the surface?

DMR
              Participant
                @dmr

It might say BICC Burndy on it somewhere and it is for extracting pins and sockets out of small connectors. It's obsolete now as things are smaller and not alterable. That's progress. The pins (or sockets) for the plug are crimped to the wire ends and inserted into the body, retained by an outward facing clip on the pin. To extract a pin the tool (to be exact – it's outer tube) is pushed down the side of the pin to push the clip away from its retaining surface and further pressure brings the inner rod down onto the pin pushing it out of the moulding (the plug body). It works on the free wired plug or the socket on the instrumentation.

Mike Donnerstag
                Participant
                  @mikedonnerstag

Many thanks DMR – that explains it!

Andrew Tinsley
                  Participant
                    @andrewtinsley63637

Another beekeeper here. I have the same tool and use it as Clive describes.

Andrew.

Robert Atkinson 2
                    Participant
                      @robertatkinson2

While it does look like a contact extraction tool they normally have a fixed sleeve and separate actuator for the pin.

bundy extract tool.jpg

Note collar and slot allowing it to connect to the pin. The pin extends well beyond the sleeve. They are still used:

https://www.dmctools.com/oscar/catalogue/drk20_1424/

I think the OP's tool is a push-pin with a broken off sleeve. There is no need for a sleeve on a flush pin.

Robert G8RPI

Edited By Robert Atkinson 2 on 19/12/2022 10:37:21

Mike Donnerstag
                      Participant
                        @mikedonnerstag

Many thanks all – I'll go with the beekeeper's tool then.

Mike

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)