Torx Screws for Inserts

Advert

Torx Screws for Inserts

Home Forums Manual machine tools Torx Screws for Inserts

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Chris Evans 6
    Participant
      @chrisevans6
      Advert
      Chris Evans 6
      Participant
        @chrisevans6

I am making a ball turning attachment and have decided to use triangular tips.

I have got TCMT 16 03 04 and TCMT 11 02 04 to see which is most suitable.

What I can not seem to find is the correct Torx screw to fit the inserts. Any charts/tables or info out there ?

Chris.

Neil Wyatt
          @neilwyatt

I expect either Greenwood Tools or JB Tools can probably let you know and supply the right screws.

Neil

Robbo
          Participant
            @robbo

jbcuttingtools – **LINK**

Vic
            Participant
              @vic

If you look here they show you the hole diameter.

**LINK**

The Torx screws cost one or two pounds each over here but you can get 5 or 10 for a few pounds from Hong Kong on eBay if you can wait a week or two.

Lynne
              Participant
                @lynne

http://www.shop-apt.co.uk/torx-screws.html Good range, good service and quick. Lynne

Vic
                Participant
                  @vic

I don't recommend it but you can use hex bolts at a push in the larger sizes. Picture taken just after I made the ball for the handle.

john fletcher 1
                  Participant
                    @johnfletcher1

I made a ball turning attachment like Vic above, turned down an Allen screw to fit in the insert, works a treat. John

Chris Evans 6
                    Participant
                      @chrisevans6

Thanks for all the info. I have ordered torx screws but will follow Johns tip and turn an allen screw to finish the job.

Vic
                      Participant
                        @vic

That's what I used in the picture, it's a stainless M4 CS socket screw turned down. Torx is best though if you can get them.

Roger Head
                        Participant
                          @rogerhead16992

I had one of these screws fail (fractured) in a TaegueTec holder. Here in Oz replacements were $10 each, with a minimum order quantity of 5! Fifty dollars for five little screws!

I got a pack of 10 (M3.5 x 12) from China for US$2.99. They arrived in about 2 weeks, appear well made, complete with a snug-fitting Torx driver, and fit perfectly. I'm now going to check through all my holders and order a pack of each of the different sizes. I'm sure that for twenty bucks I'll have enough to keep me and my mates going for many years to come.

Roger

David Jupp
                          Participant
                            @davidjupp51506

Arc Euro now list spare Torx screws to use with inserts, there is some information in the table. **LINK**

Vic
                            Participant
                              @vic

I've just ordered a dozen M4 X 12 Torx screws for £3.85 inc postage and they supply a free Torx driver. These are quality Taiwanese screws that I've bought before. At 32p each I can afford to wait a week or two for them rather than paying £2.10 EACH from a uk supplier.

russell
                              Participant
                                @russell

just wondering, but why are torx better than hex CS screws in this application? Is the head size relatively smaller, or???

-russ

Michael Gilligan
                                Participant
                                  @michaelgilligan61133
                                  Posted by russell on 05/05/2016 04:07:52:

just wondering, but why are torx better than hex CS screws in this application? Is the head size relatively smaller, or???

Russ,

I think it"s really down the the geometry of the driver/socket.

Especially at small sizes, the hexagon is more prone to rounding than the 'star-like' Torx.

Head shape is also optimised for these screws, but robustness of the drive is the big feature. … Torx is better-engineered for the job.

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 05/05/2016 07:53:00

JasonB
                                    @jasonb
                                    Posted by russell on 05/05/2016 04:07:52:

-russ

Head size is also substantially smaller for the same dia thread mostly due to the steeper CSK angle used BUT the key is considerably larger which helps avoid stripping of the key, these are the same size thread.

torx.jpg

Edited By JasonB on 05/05/2016 08:13:59

Raymond Anderson
                                    Participant
                                      @raymondanderson34407

russell, As far as i'm aware Socket head cap screws whether Torx ® or Hex all share the same head dimensions. [just checked a few sizes of each] so i'm not sure of the reason for using a Torx ® over a Hex. One thing is for sure, and that is the head profile must match the insert hole profile. I have in the past [due to losing one ] had to turn down a standard hex to get me out of a jam [until I got a replacement]. and it worked ok, but I do prefer to use the proper insert screw.

Cheers.

Neil Wyatt
                                        @neilwyatt

My guess is that they want as much material in the insert as possible for strength, and a torx allows a much smaller head for a given torque.

Neil.

Raymond Anderson
                                        Participant
                                          @raymondanderson34407

Just been checking with AccuGroup and even Countersunk skt screws [hex] and countersunk skt screws [Torx ® ] all share the same head sizes Insert screws, as in Jasons pic have a much smaller head but then they are not a "normal" csk screw. So yes, it must have something to do with the tightening torque.

I have a few inserts / toolholders that use what at first appears to be standard skt head cap screws, and they are anything but. The underside is machined to the same profile as the insert hole. There is such a variety of clamping methods /screw sizes / profiles , The Torx® style is the most common.

Vic
                                          Participant
                                            @vic

I've seen plenty of rounded sockets in the smaller size hex screws over the years and had to drill out one or two. Never seen it happen yet on a Torx screw. unless I'm mistaken I believe Sandvik use a slightly different pattern Torx socket?

Vic
                                            Participant
                                              @vic

Just found this.

**LINK**

I dont know if I'm the only one who thinks the Americans can be really thick sometimes but I found this as well.

**LINK**

Which says the Sandvik Torx plus drivers are:

"Restricted from sale in the following countries: Andorra, United Arab Emirates, Afghanistan, Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, Albania, Armenia, Angola, Antarctica, Argentina, Austria, Australia, Aruba, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bangladesh, Belgium, Burkina-Faso, Bulgaria, Bahrain, Burundi, Benin, Bermuda, Brunei Darussalam, Bonaire, Saint Eustatius and Saba, Brazil, Bhutan, Bouvet Islands, Botswana, Belarus, Canada, Cocos Islands, The Democratic Republic of the Congo, Central African Republic, Congo, Switzerland, Ivory Coast, Cook Islands, Chile, Cameroon, China, Cuba, Cape Verde, Curacao, Christmas Island, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Germany, Djibouti, Denmark, Dominica, Algeria, Estonia, Egypt, Western Sahara, Eritrea, Spain, Ethiopia, Finland, Fiji, Falkland Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Faroe Islands, France, Gabon, United Kingdom, Grenada, Georgia, French Guiana, Bailiwick of Guernsey, Ghana, Gibraltar, Greenland, Gambia, Guinea, Guadeloupe, Equatorial Guinea, Greece, S. George & S. Sandwich Islands, Guinea-Bissau, Hong Kong, Heard and McDonald Islands, Croatia, Hungary, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Isle of Man, India, British Indian Ocean Territory, Iraq, Iran, Iceland, Italy, Bailiwick of Jersey, Jordan, Japan, Kenya, Kirghizia, Cambodia, Kiribati, Comoros, St. Kitts and Nevis, North Korea, South Korea, Kuwait, Cayman Islands, Kazakhstan, Laos, Lebanon, St. Lucia, Liechtenstein, Sri Lanka, Liberia, Lesotho, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Latvia, Libya, Morocco, Monaco, Moldavia, Republic of Montenegro, Saint Martin, Madagascar, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Macedonia, Mali, Myanmar, Mongolia, Macau, Northern Mariana Islands, Martinique, Mauritania, Montserrat, Malta, Mauritius, Maldives, Malawi, Mexico, Malaysia, Mozambique, Namibia, New Caledonia, Niger, Norfolk Islands, Nigeria, Netherlands, Norway, Nepal, Nauru, Niue Islands, New Zealand, Oman, French Polynesia, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Pakistan, Poland, St. Pierre and Miquelon, Pitcairn Islands, Palestinian Territory, Portugal, Paraguay, Qatar, Reunion, Romania, Republic of Serbia, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Sudan, Sweden, Singapore, Saint Helena, Slovenia, Svalbard, Slovakia, Sierra Leone, San Marino, Senegal, Somalia, Republic of South Sudan, Sao Tome and Principe, Country of Sint Maarten, Syria, Swaziland, Turks and Caicos Islands, Chad, French Southern Territories, Togo, Thailand, Tajikistan, Tokelau Islands, Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste, Turkmenistan, Tunisia, Tonga, Turkey, Tuvalu, Taiwan, Tanzania, Ukraine, Uganda, American Minor Outlying Islands, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican City, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, British Virgin Islands, Vietnam, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna Islands, Western Samoa, Yemen, Mayotte, South Africa, Zambia and Zimbabwe."

Why didn't they just say "not sold outside the USA" ?! cheeky

Load of tosh anyway as I've got two of them in my shed and I bought them in Surrey!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)