Tornado

Advert

Tornado

Home Forums General Questions Tornado

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Sub Mandrel
    Participant
      @submandrel
      Advert
      Sub Mandrel
      Participant
        @submandrel

My wife and I are heading for Peterborough tomorrow to pick up a gas fridge for a boat. Nene Valley Railway, has the Thomas specialhttp://www.nvr.org.uk/thomas/te.php Great for the kids but even my wife is horrified at the thought of going to see Thomas.

But… it looks like Tornado will be on the scene, we won't have time for a journey, but hopefully will get to see it.

http://www.nvr.org.uk/timetable/cc2.php

Neil

Alan Worland 1
        Participant
          @alanworland1

Never seen it myself – yet – but are booked on a Tornado powered journey to York next month!

Enjoy the experience!

Alan

Nicholas Farr
          Participant
            @nicholasfarr14254

Hi Neil, well worth a look at it, as it is fine piece of engineering.

I saw it myself and had the pleasure of a journey behind it from Goathland to Pickering, during NYMR's Spring Steam Gala on the 4th May 2009. It pulled away as smooth as any electric train that I've been on.

Hope you get the chance to see it.

Regards Nick.

PS. I've put a picture in my namesake album

KWIL
            Participant
              @kwil

Having observed Tornado passing by at Goathland, it was a smooth and precise passing, a delight to the ear and eye. A friend has riden and fired her and has expressed a similar opinion. A delight!

Peter G. Shaw
              Participant
                @peterg-shaw75338

Aren't you lot lucky! Although I will be on the Moorlander (NYMR) early July, I suppose I'll have to make do with whatever's running. I wonder if Sir Nigel might be available?

Regards from a green eyed jealous….

Peter G. Shaw

Swarf, Mostly!
                Participant
                  @swarfmostly

Hmmm, Peterborough. I think it was there that I reached out of the window of a (stationary) South-bound train and actually TOUCHED the Mallard (also stationary).

Forgive me if this is too trivial a question but who chose the number for the Tornado and on what basis was the choice based?

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly.

Sub Mandrel
                  Participant
                    @submandrel

Well we went to Wansford. Saw the Thoimas special – they went light engine to move to the other end of the train. LOTS of smoke and steam. I don't know how fast the wee 'un went but I'd swear i bounced clear of the rails over the points Thomas is such a naughty engine

Tornado was bit late, I was a bit close to the track and my camera's trigger buttion has gone dodgy so all I got were these, plus some atmospheric video on the 'phone:

Neil

Springbok
                    Participant
                      @springbok

Hi Stubs

Lucky you would love to go on this Loco, will some day.

Roderick Jenkins
                      Participant
                        @roderickjenkins93242
                        Posted by Swarf, Mostly! on 08/04/2012 13:20:14:

Hmmm, Peterborough. I think it was there that I reached out of the window of a (stationary) South-bound train and actually TOUCHED the Mallard (also stationary).

Forgive me if this is too trivial a question but who chose the number for the Tornado and on what basis was the choice based?

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly.

The last Peppercorn A1 to be built, in December 1949, was 60162 "Saint Johnstoun" so Tornado was numbered as the next in sequence.

cheers, Rod

Swarf, Mostly!
                        Participant
                          @swarfmostly

Hi there, Rod,

Thank you very much for your explanation.

I remember the time when the four companies were nationalised at midnight – the bit I can't remember is whether that was before or after 1949.

Do you know if any steam locos were built (or completed) after nationalisation? If so, would numbering have continued to be controlled by the relevant loco works, e.g Derby, Didcot, Eastleigh et alia?

Thanks again and best regards,

Swarf, Mostly.

MICHAEL WILLIAMS
                          Participant
                            @michaelwilliams41215

Many steam locomotives were built after Nationalisation with Evening Star being the last one in 1960 .

There was a national numbering scheme but many of the numbers in practice were the old numbers with a regional prefix . New builds of pre-nationalisation designs generally carried on the old number series with added prefix . Great Western engines kept their numbers intact . BR standard locomotives had an all new number series . Some ex Southern engines had their continental style letters plus numeral codes re-numbered in a more logical way but still keeping the essential order of numbering .

Whilst the above note about numbering is generally correct there were many illogical and out of sequence numbers to be seen particularly on ancient engines that had survived past nationalisation .

Ian Abbott
                            Participant
                              @ianabbott31222

We're lucky here, Tornado and others come into Kingswear (Dartmouth) on the Torbay Express specials. A few weeks ago, we had the last run of 6024 before she was taken off the road. Her ticket may be up, but she was splendid. Photos as they pass upper ferry slip and then a walk down to the station for some stationary stuff. In between specials, from Easter to October we have Lydham Manor and the 2-8-0's.

Ian

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)