Today’s problem

Advert

Today’s problem

Home Forums Locomotives Today’s problem

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael Callaghan
    Participant
      @michaelcallaghan68621

Hi, today I took a look at the Dyak loco. On putting the boiler under a bit of pressure I found water begaining to fill the smokebox. Water was coming from the blast pipe. Not a great idea I feel. So is this a simple job of blanking off the cylinders to test the boiler, or is there a great problem. There are no drain cocks on this model.
      any help would be good. Thanks in advance

Advert
      MichaelR
      Participant
        @michaelr

Check your regulator valve it may not be sealing and passing water to the cylinders.

Just a thought.

Speedy Builder5
        Participant
          @speedybuilder5

Is the water coming from the blower nozzle. Of course, it should be steam.How good is the blower valve and is it leaking.

You say you are putting the boiler under pressure. Are you pressure testing with the boiler full of water and using the hand pump ?

A bit more info needed please.

Michael Callaghan
          Participant
            @michaelcallaghan68621

Hi. Thanks for replying. I am putting the boiler under pressure using an outside pump feeding into the boiler through the safety valve entry. On a bit of further playing around water is only coming out of the blast pipe through the cylinders. As MichaelR stated it looks like a regulator seal at fault. However I have no information on the regulator fitted to the Dyak. Is it just fitted to the back head, how is it removed and how do I test and correct the seal. Thanks

MichaelR
            Participant
              @michaelr

You really need to get hold of some drawings for the engine to see how the regulator is fitted, if you look at this website Link https://www.coulshed.com/category/dyak-steam-engine/ there is a article showing the removed Dayak regulator it may give you the help you need.

the regulator seems to be fitted at the back head and the front tube plate, runs the full length of the boiler (I think)

MichaelR

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)