time to hang up my tools

Advert

time to hang up my tools

Home Forums Model Engineers’ Workshop. time to hang up my tools

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    geoff adams
    Participant
      @geoffadams14047

It's been a difficult decision but now realising after suffering a stroke last October I am no longer able to use my machines as it is to dangerous for me.

I have given all my small tools, vee blocks, paralells, measuring equipment etc.. to a first year apprentice at a local engineering firm that I used to deal with. Hopefully he will get as much use out of them as I have.

I now have to dispose of all of my machines and tooling, I will be posting them up for sale soon one at a time. You can see what I will have for sale in my photo albums (machines for sale 2022).

I also have loads of raw material, aluminum, brass and steel that I will also need to get rid of as I do not what to send it to the scrap yard.

I have many more toolings, if there is anything anyone is after please ask and I may have it.

If you are in the Hampshire or Dorset area you are welcome to come take a look.

I will still be reading forum daily and putting in my two penny worth.

Many Thanks

Geoff

Please PM if you have any enquires.

Advert
      geoff adams
      Participant
        @geoffadams14047
        Brian Wood
        Participant
          @brianwood45127

A sad decision Geoff, you have my sympathy. I live in North Yorkshire, too far to travel for viewing I'm afraid.

I hope your sale goes well and that you can still find something fulfilling to do.

Kind regards Brian

Roger Best
          Participant
            @rogerbest89007

Sorry to hear that Geoff, pm sent.

Tony Pratt 1
            Participant
              @tonypratt1

Sorry to hear that, Iv'e got a few more years in me but who knows, I think I should thin my tools out or at least make a start.

Tony

Chris Evans 6
              Participant
                @chrisevans6

Sad news Geoff, I can relate to the problem. A stroke two and a half years ago and I just thought I was a long time recovering only to be diagnosed with Parkinson's at the start of the year. Add in ongoing prostate cancer woes and I really ought to start to move my equipment on. I still manage a few workshop jobs and can't bring myself to let go.

Harry Wilkes
                Participant
                  @harrywilkes58467

Sad news mate but nice touch to help out the apprentice

H

Ramon Wilson
                  Participant
                    @ramonwilson3

I hope all goes well and it works out for you Geoff. Though I have no real health issues that affects me greatly I have decided to dispose of my workshop too in the near future, age and diminishing desire to machine metal the main reason.

With you down in Hampshire and Brian in Yorkshire that hopefully leaves me some catchment area over here in East Anglia wink

I wish you the very best for the future years

Regards – Tug

Robert Walker 8
                    Participant
                      @robertwalker8

Best wishes Geoff. If I was not in Australia I would take some off your hands.

Speedy Builder5
                      Participant
                        @speedybuilder5

Best wishes Geoff. We moved to France 20 years ago bringing all my imperial stuff with me. When its time for me to dispose of stuff, what chance trying to off load imperial lathes and mill in metric land ! I have thought of changing over to metric, but would I get the use out of the investment at the age of 76 ?

My best hope would be to offer the lot at a silly price and include a free weekend's accommodation for an interested UK buyer as we are 10 hours away from a channel port. However, by that time, would imperial machines be of interest in the UK ??

Bob

not done it yet
                        Participant
                          @notdoneityet

Time marches on. We are all getting older. I’m well past my ‘sell-by’ date – kept going longer by a quad by-pass over a decade ago – but I will keep going as long as I can, even though I am steadily(?) slowing down.

I sympathise with Geoff – it is a hard decision but must be made because of his state of health. He is probably better moving on his machines before his demise (hopefully he has a long time to go, even after the stroke). I think most of us will expire with our machines still in situ – and likely they will be moved on by our children/widows for relative peanuts of the real value.

vic newey
                          Participant
                            @vicnewey60017
                            Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 31/08/2022 06:34:16:

My best hope would be to offer the lot at a silly price and include a free weekend's accommodation for an interested UK buyer as we are 10 hours away from a channel port. However, by that time, would imperial machines be of interest in the UK ??

Bob

———————————————————————————————————-

There will always be enthusiasts for imperial machines, I am one myself and have two Pittler lathes from 1895, a 1930's Holbrook and South Bend. For me the vintage lathes themselves are the enjoyment and not what I could make with them.

I'm in good health at 76 compared to some of you here apart from me going fairly deaf and having Ocular hypertension but who knows what awaits us all

magpie
                            Participant
                              @magpie

Sorry to hear of your situation Geoff and i too wish you all the best. Although not the same problems as yours, i to have health problems that prevent me from getting to my workshop and doing anything in there.

After spending some time slowly becoming brain dead watching daytime TV, i treated myself to a mini lathe and have set up a small workshop in a spare bedroom. It is still a struggle to do things up there but i am determined to carry on trying as long as possible.

Dek.

geoff adams
                              Participant
                                @geoffadams14047

thanks all for your best wishes had lots of local interest in materials and tooling

thanks Geoff

Roger Best
                                Participant
                                  @rogerbest89007

A big thank you to Geoff for the folder and other stuff I took off him Saturday, and for the hospitable welcome.

His collection of machine tools are wonderful and I would have had a few of them if I had any room. Definitely worth a look if you are remotely interested. They all have lots of machine-dedicated tooling.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)