Thread cutting

Advert

Thread cutting

Home Forums Beginners questions Thread cutting

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tom Gullan
    Participant
      @tomgullan59234

Hello,

I have an Imperial Myford Super 7 lathe with a gear box. I've read a bit about cutting threads and have cut a number of imperial sizes which have turned out well. I have been told that it is possible to cut metric threads on a imperial lathe by changing the tumbler gears. Can anyone help? Is this possible?

Regards

Tom

Advert
      Tom Gullan
      Participant
        @tomgullan59234
        Les Jones 1
        Participant
          @lesjones1

I would think changing the tumbler gears is a hard way to achieve different gear ratios. Assuming you do not change the spindle gear then the only one of the tumbler gears that would effect the ratio is the one mounted on the axis of the tumbler assembly. To change this it would involve making a new tumbler assembly and moving the pivot point. I think just tying to work out a ratio using your existing change wheels is the first method to try. If you cannot achieve the pitch you require then you will have to obtain some extra change wheels. The way I do this it to use the program "nthreadp.exe" which you can download from here. Work out all the ratios given by the gearbox and multiply the actual pitch of your lead screw by these ratios to give effective lead screw pitches Try running nthreadp.exe for all the effective lead screw pitches you have calculated. You may get a result that is close enough to the value you require. To get exact metric pitches you will probably need a 127 tooth gear. (Assuming you can find room to fit it on the banjo.

Les.

Roderick Jenkins
          Participant
            @roderickjenkins93242

Tom.

You can get very good approximations to metric pitches by changing the 24 tooth gear below the tumbler gear to either a 34 or 33 tooth (mostly). I got my gears from John Stevenson but I believe Myford now sell them. The approximations are very close, most are only a few thousands of a millimeter (microns) out.

metric approx.jpg

Please note the typo in the M12 fine where the Box setting should be 28 as in all the other 1.25mm pitches.

HTH,

Rod

Tom Gullan
            Participant
              @tomgullan59234

Les, Roderick,

Thank you very much for your help.

Tom

Brian Wood
              Participant
                @brianwood45127

Tom

I've sent you a personal message. Look in your Inbox

Brian

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)