this is the worst site possible

Advert

this is the worst site possible

Home Forums Website Questions, Comments, and Suggestions this is the worst site possible

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 298 total)
  • Author
    Harry Wilkes
    Participant
      @harrywilkes58467

Bill I haven’t seen the option to change the wrap options hence my question could the wrap position be changed will have another try later

H

Advert
      peak4
      Participant
        @peak4
        On Harry Wilkes Said:

Jason using my table I was able to do what you suggested and move the image up and add text but couldn’t resize image it seemed to have will of it own

H

Harry, from my previous experiments, you can’t resize the image after, or during uploading to this forum.
        If you want a smaller image you need to resize before uploading; personally I use Faststone Image Viewer.

On a full widescreen monitor, the display width is limited to 1000 pixels, this reduces pro-rata as you narrow a window, or view on a tablet or phone.

Also, if you upload a large image, the forum resizes it, and also reduces the dpi to save storage space.
        As I recall, however large the image is that you upload, the maximum saved is 1200 pixels (I think it’s 96dpi, but can’t remember for now)

Even though the forum stores it at 1200 pixels, the maximum displayed in post is 1000, but also viewable at 1200 if you click on the image.

In the photos I posted earlier, both the Zoll micrometer and the max-min thermometer were 200 pixels wide before I uploaded them.

Also, the edit pane is narrower than the final display window, so that a 1200 wide image (or 1000 for that matter) overlaps the right hand side of the edit pane, which is rather misleading. My earlier screenshots do show the whole image in the edit pane, but that;s only because the original is 200 pixels wide, and I was using a full widescreen monitor.

From what I can make out, your own image is 1155 x 787 pixels, so the displayed size will be 1000 wide, on a monitor.
        On my Google Pixel 3 phone I think it shows as 400 wide in portrait mode and 800 wide in landscape.
        No idea how it shows on an Android  tablet or an Apple device.

Bill.

JasonB
          @jasonb

Peak, that small image I tried to wrap was uploaded as a large one, clicked it and I was able to drag the corners or edges and that is how I made it small not by uploading a small image

Below is the same file inserted twice, first just left as it cam in, second clicked and drgaged to a smaller size

clip 2

clip 2

Michael Gilligan
          Participant
            @michaelgilligan61133
            On Peter Greene Said:
            On Michael Gilligan Said:

For Harry & Jason

I think this illustrates the problem when composing on the iPad ….

I’ve never tried inserting an image on the iPad, so by all means tell me to sod off and that I don’t know what I’m talking about but: …

There is no need for me to do that, Peter … Jason [and the Dog]demonstrated my error, and I checked.

The apparent problem was that the iPad keyboard goes AWOL when the big image is displaying [and without a keyboard, it’s “rather difficult” to do as you suggest] … BUT it is actually possible, to do as Jason described. … There’s just very little indication that one is doing something right !!

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan
            Participant
              @michaelgilligan61133

For what it’s worth … I have just grabbed Harry’s last two pictures on the iPad and am posting screenshots with the information displayed.

My screenshots are 2048×1536 … so that should give us some reference dimensions to juggle with.

MichaelG.

IMG_9201IMG_9203

Michael Gilligan
              Participant
                @michaelgilligan61133

PostScript

Attempting to edit that last post … to insert some space between the two images … utterly defeated me.

MichaelG.

peak4
                Participant
                  @peak4
                  On JasonB Said:

Peak, that small image I tried to wrap was uploaded as a large one, clicked it and I was able to drag the corners or edges and that is how I made it small not by uploading a small image

Below is the same file inserted twice, first just left as it cam in, second clicked and drgaged to a smaller size

Cheers Jason that’s interesting, when I originally tried to do that in the test images thread a month or two ago, I couldn’t get it to re-size by dragging the corners.

For me also, your earlier experiment only shows like this;
                  image_2024-01-05_110154139

I’ve now dragged the corner of that screenshot narrower than the editing pane to 600 wide, and it appears to have worked.
                  Lets see what happens when I submit.

Edit, now inserted the screenshot again; but this time changed its size with the align right icon ticked whilst re-sizing

image_2024-01-05_110554221

Bill

peak4
                  Participant
                    @peak4
                    On Harry Wilkes Said:

Jason I cant push it up a bit my problem insert text after inserting a image is with my laptop I hit the return key and the cursor can not be seen bcls_logo_new colour Ive just tried inserting a small image 200×200 and as you can see it’s not inserted it’s self under some of my text rather than below, so I,m now wondering if my problem is down to ‘wrap’ is it possible to adjust the ‘wrap’ and if so how ?

H

Harry, Please accept my apologies for misleading you regarding the re-sizing and inserting of fixed image sizes.
                    Last time I tried it, I couldn’t re-size within the compose pane, but it now works.

Similarly as you’ve spotted, you can now insert an image within a section of text, but it looks like it’s only that one line, where the cursor sits, which word wraps.
                    I’m still playing, but it looks like when you change the width of a window, either by dragging it narrower on a monitor, or viewing on a phone/tablet, the forum might display a re-sized image automatically, according to the display window size.

Also, in order to leave the text readable, as a window width changes, then the text wrapping adapts to the display window size. i.e. two lines of text in a widescreen window may become four as the window narrows.
                    This does seem to have an effect on the positioning of the image, as it’s tied to where the cursor was in the line of text, so as the word-wrap changes, so does the image position.

Compare the image in your quoted text above, the original posting, and this screenshot, where I’ve split the screen, which effectively narrows the display window.

Black Country

It’s now moved to the very right hand side.

Note also, that in your original post, it’s the top of the image with the word wrapping, but in the edit pane, even in your quoted post, it’s the bottom of the image with word wrapping

image_2024-01-05_120229802

Nicholas Farr
                    Participant
                      @nicholasfarr14254

Hi MichaelG, I tried doing his yesterday, but the missing robot tick box prevented me from logging in on my phone. So this is to see if I can add text after an image, using my Android phone in landscape.

IMG_20230127_130036

The image is irrelevant, but it does span the whole width of my screen. However, after the image load’s, my keypad is shown over the top, but I was able to put it into what my phone calls floating at the start of my typing, the disadvantage though, it’s a small square one, which is just a bit smaller than half the width of my screen and so all the characters are small, which in turn made me miss some as I was typing. But all I did was hit the return on the keypad after the image had loaded, and just carried on typing.

Regards Nick.

P.S. I can see how that pop up Warco add annoys everyone when using a phone.

JasonB
                        @jasonb

Not just the phone, I found the same when using the ipad yesterday.

Michael Gilligan
                        Participant
                          @michaelgilligan61133
                          On Nicholas Farr Said:

… However, after the image load’s, my keypad is shown over the top, but I was able to put it into what my phone calls floating …

Thanks, Nick ; but this highlights something I have been banging on about:

Different devices and operating systems behave differently

and it is the site’s responsibility to make sure that it’s code is usably compatible with a reasonable range of devices, operating systems, and user ability levels

MichaelG.

Bazyle
                          Participant
                            @bazyle

Can the name of this thread be changed? I find it rather offensive that my favourite forum keeps having this come up. Not good PR.

peak4
                            Participant
                              @peak4
                              On Bazyle Said:

Can the name of this thread be changed? I find it rather offensive that my favourite forum keeps having this come up. Not good PR.

I’d go along with that; I was wary of posting my replies on it for the very reason you mention, and only did so as they followed directly from comments on it.
                              Renamed and moved to Comments & Test threads might be appropriate, The trouble is that none of the developers seem to have time to visit there either.

Our own two replies will promote the topic up the forum again. ho hum.

Bill

John Hinkley
                              Participant
                                @johnhinkley26699

Re: the problem with inserting text after a photo:

Have you (collectively) tried either resizing the photo after its insertion using the corner handles so that there is white space between it and the right-hand edge of the reply panel and putting in a new line before entering more text?  The photo can be resized to regain its original size if required afterwards.

OR inserting three new lines where the photo is to be placed, then clicking on the middle blank line and inserting the photo there?  Alternately, type all the text you intend to post, leaving suitable gaps for the insertion of photos, and put them in at the end.

I don’t know whether that would work on a phone; I can’t read the site on a screen that small!

John

Nicholas Farr
                                Participant
                                  @nicholasfarr14254

Hi MichaelG, understood.

Regards Nick.

Harry Wilkes
                                  Participant
                                    @harrywilkes58467

this is a test image

Elizabeth

Ok this time using my linux laptop I was able to resize the image (which I couldn’t do last night using my samsung tablet) and also I was given the choice of word wrap which i’m very happy with but at the same time hoping it’s going to stay consistent as up to now is differed each time I’ve time. Later i’ll see if I can repeat my success on my table.

H

Michael Gilligan
                                    Participant
                                      @michaelgilligan61133

I will just try a quick demonstration of the initial difficulty with the iPad:

Here is an over-sized image in a rather small composition pane:

.. with no keyboard in sight

IMG_9209

Scrolling up, and selecting the single blank line [with no visible cursor] below the image then pops-up the keyboard.

IMG_9210

.IMG_9211

IMG_9177

… and this ^^^ is what I was inserting

MichaelG.

Harry Wilkes
                                      Participant
                                        @harrywilkes58467

Micheal I do not have an iPad by I tried using my iPhone I dont know if my results were ‘apple’ or down to using a phone. I inserted a line of text dropped the cursor down and added image when I tried to resize the image I couldn’t so I hit enter with the black line to the left of the image the image disappeared tried 3 more times same result 🙁

H

Nicholas Farr
                                        Participant
                                          @nicholasfarr14254

Hi MichaelG, your images are not showing, all I see are little boxes with IMG_xxxx, x’s are different numbers for each image.

Regards Nick.

Michael Gilligan
                                          Participant
                                            @michaelgilligan61133

We should get there in time, Nick

… it’s happened before

MichaelG.

dodmole
                                            Participant
                                              @dodmole

Cat among pigeons time.

Reading all “this worst site possible” and  “comments on the new software threads” my opinion is that apart from the site disappearing for longer than was expected and returning with problems most of these threads extreme length seems to be caused by the impatience of users.

Once a problem has been identified and hopefully noted by the sites administration would it not be best to let them get on with repairing shortcomings.

My own experience of the site and forum has been quite decent pre and post software change

Just to let anyone interested know, my computer is an eighteen year old laptop running Linux Mint running with an adblocker (me bad), speed of site working appears the same with adblocker off whether logged in or not.

When I read of Iphones, Ipads and Windoze having multiple problems I have to feel slightly smug on not keeping up with technology as we up in my end of the country are still using copper wires.

Best sign out before I write something that might annoy

Dod

Maurice Taylor
                                              Participant
                                                @mauricetaylor82093

Hi, Test image

IMG_0356

Ipad 9th gen

Maurice

Grindstone Cowboy
                                                Participant
                                                  @grindstonecowboy

Just thought I’d try inserting an image copied from Facebook. If it works, you may find it amusing, but honestly, it’s a serious test

Rob

Grindstone Cowboy
                                                  Participant
                                                    @grindstonecowboy

Well that didn’t work!

I’ll try it the proper way

#dev

Edit – so that’s the way to do it. I saved image to my hard drive, then drag and dropped into the post using the Insert Image icon. Then clicked on image and re-sized by dragging the corner (all standard stuff), and then edited to add this comment.

Rob

duncan webster 1
                                                    Participant
                                                      @duncanwebster1

I must say I’m having no difficulty on my Android phone, it’s fast, keeps me logged in. Not tried the PC of late

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 298 total)