this is the worst site possible

Advert

this is the worst site possible

Home Forums Website Questions, Comments, and Suggestions this is the worst site possible

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 298 total)
  • Author
    Michael Gilligan
    Participant
      @michaelgilligan61133

So it looks like my multi-choice list can be reduced to /daft/ … oh dear !

Except, of course that on the iPad, [when composing a post, and after inserting an over-width image] the on-screen keyboard is only visible in portrait mode … and I usually use it in landscape.

Thanks, Nick

MichaelG.

Edit: __ If only there had been some proper User Acceptance Testing before this site was launched, things might have been different.

IMG_9198

Advert
      JasonB
        @jasonb

Michael, that image of the dog was wider than the editing window yet keyboard was still there in landscape.

I think more recent ipads have a function key which when used with the arrows will also put you at the end of the image where return will start a new line.

That can also be used on the pc as another way to get to the right place to add text after the image, click the inserted image then “end” on your keyboard and then “return”

Michael Gilligan
        Participant
          @michaelgilligan61133
          On JasonB Said:

Michael, that image of the dog was wider than the editing window yet keyboard was still there in landscape. …

On what device ?

MichaelG.

If I had the will, I would post a load of images to demonstrate this

… but I don’t

What it needs is for the Developer[s] to test the site on a good range of widely-used devices and browsers … Like they do it in the real World.

JasonB
            @jasonb

Test from android

20240101_094836

New line easily added to a big image

JasonB
              @jasonb

Crossed post Michael but read the post immediately below the one where I posted the dog image as you will see it was done on an ipad. All the time in landscape mode with a large image.

Kiwi Bloke
              Participant
                @kiwibloke62605
                On JasonB Said:

Well all I can say is as the adverts are the only real income for Morton from the forum, if you all start blocking the adverts you will have more to complain about when they decide to shut the forum down.

Also makes me wonder if help and advice should be offered to those using ad blockers, for example I could tell Kiwi and Harry how they can easily get the text after inserting an image but should I?

I think we could have a long (and rambling) discussion about this. Is this forum being run for the benefit of the ‘participants’, Mortons or the advertisers? My view is that I’m in control (to a limited extent) of this PC, and what it displays is up to me. I don’t wish to be compelled to see adverts, so I try to disable them. If the reality of internet economics is that this forum is a mere vehicle for advertisers, then that’s sad. I don’t like that model. Also, if it’s viewed by Mortons as just another income stream, that’s pretty cynical. One might hope that there was some altruism operating – that the forum was provided for the mutual benefit of the participants. Mortons gets my Model Engineer subscription, and that publication carries plenty of adverts. Mortons no longer gets my MEW subscription, because it no longer meets my needs. There are plenty of fora around that are not polluted by adverts.

I do understand that someone has to pay for this forum, but, if you start examiningthe whole thing in detail, you quickly come up against awkward questions such as ‘Should the participants be paid in some way for their contributions?’, because no contributions = no forum. And if JasonB doesn’t want to help me, because I block ads, should I still want to help others on the forum? And so on – it’s complicated…

JasonB
                  @jasonb

Probably worthy of another thread if anyone wants to start.

Nicholas Farr
                  Participant
                    @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, well now having posted earlier today, for some reason or other the “Human or Robot” box has disappeared and I can’t log in on my everyday laptop, or my phone, and nor on my small portable laptop that is fairly new. As it happens, I’m using my cheap Lenovo tablet, which is still logged onto this site, from when I used it a couple of days or so ago. Others still seem to be able to login, as there are some new replies since I’ve been trying. Just seems we get one step forward and two back.

I was going to try another post with an image, using my phone in landscape, as MichaelG has said that’s how he uses his phone, to see if I can see my keyboard after posting an image, as I did the last one in portrait.

Regards Nick.

Michael Gilligan
                    Participant
                      @michaelgilligan61133
                      On JasonB Said:

Crossed post Michael but read the post immediately below the one where I posted the dog image as you will see it was done on an ipad. All the time in landscape mode with a large image.

Yes … crossed post: I hadn’t seen the Dog or the related text

Yes … with care, it is possible for me to move the image upwards, sufficiently far to expose one line of white [or whatever] space, with no cursor showing.

A leap of faith then allows me to type in that area [which, frankly, came as a surprise]

old/daft/clumsy/arthritic/whatever

MichaelG.

Harry Wilkes
                      Participant
                        @harrywilkes58467

Jason I cant push it up a bit my problem insert text after inserting a image is with my laptop I hit the return key and the cursor can not be seen bcls_logo_new colour Ive just tried inserting a small image 200×200 and as you can see it’s not inserted it’s self under some of my text rather than below, so I,m now wondering if my problem is down to ‘wrap’ is it possible to adjust the ‘wrap’ and if so how ?

H

JasonB
                          @jasonb

Harry is that a window laptop and what number windows, if so I’ll dig one out and give it a try. Assuming I can get logged in.

On the plus side you ar ethe first person I have seen be able to wrap text around an image

peak4
                          Participant
                            @peak4
                            On JasonB Said:

Harry is that a window laptop and what number windows, if so I’ll dig one out and give it a try. Assuming I can get logged in.

On the plus side you are the first person I have seen be able to wrap text around an image

I spent a long time trying on this page, to no avail.
                            I wonder if something has changed

Bill

Peter Greene
                            Participant
                              @petergreene36336
                              On JasonB Said:

Well all I can say is as the adverts are the only real income for Morton from the forum, if you all start blocking the adverts you will have more to complain about when they decide to shut the forum down.

I don’t mind too much, static ads down the side (as we had on the old forum) – they’re generally unobtrusive and I can look at them as I choose (and I did). If I have ads obtrusively forced on me – especially flashing ones – then Morton’s shutting the forum down will be academic for me ….. I’ll be long gone.

JasonB
                                @jasonb

trying to wrap textclip 2around an image

peak4
                                Participant
                                  @peak4

“Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud P7190025_DxO-Flickr_200 wideexercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.”

I ticked the Right hand box for no alignment, and placed the cursor  where the heart is in this bit of text
                                  “quis nostrud ♥ exercitation”

image_2024-01-04_184030609

image_2024-01-04_183617927

I’ve no idea how this will display when I hit submit

Bill

Peter Greene
                                  Participant
                                    @petergreene36336
                                    On Michael Gilligan Said:

For Harry & Jason

I think this illustrates the problem when composing on the iPad ….

I’ve never tried inserting an image on the iPad, so by all means tell me to sod off and that I don’t know what I’m talking about but:

In similar situations (and on the previous site in fact), I generally hit return a few times after the text and before inserting the image. Then put the cursor within the white space created. That creates some blank lines after the image into which you can insert the cursor and (hopefully) some text.

peak4
                                    Participant
                                      @peak4

Well that failed.
                                      Lets try a small micrometer, as the image is shorter; Again Cursor where the heart is
                                      image_2024-01-04_184800889

Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est,  Zoll P3150151_200 Wide♥  qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?”

Align Centre this time
                                      image_2024-01-04_184921318

peak4
                                      Participant
                                        @peak4

One last try, with image set to Align Left

image_2024-01-04_185418175

Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est,  Zoll P3150151_200 Wide ♥  qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?”

peak4
                                        Participant
                                          @peak4

It seems you get only one line of text wrapping, with the image where you place the cursor.
                                          The trouble is, that since the edit window is a different size, and layout, to the submitted one, it’s all a bit of guesswork as to where the image appears.
                                          The positioning icons don’t seem to work, but the cursor position does, providing it’s within a line of text.
                                          To position an image, it seems that you have to submit the text, do some word counting, and then edit the text with the cursor placed where you want the  top of the image to appear.
                                          In the edit pane it seems to show the cursor position as the bottom of the image, rather than the top.

Bill

Frances IoM
                                          Participant
                                            @francesiom58905

thought I would check that after 10days in the sin bin for questioning the direction of travel of both this site and MEW – that I was now allowed to participate.

I seemed to be able to login using the same approach as Kiwi bloke in the 3 cookie issuers who needed to be placated – that by google is of course the open sesame for all sorts of tracking but tho this site appears to be advert driven its major source of income would be selling the interests of viewers

Nicholas Farr
                                            Participant
                                              @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, I can’t advance beyond page 1 in Engagements or Replies Created, in my profile, I first noticed this five days ago. So I don’t know if anyone else is having the same problem, although I did mention it back then.

Regards Nick.

Michael Gilligan
                                              Participant
                                                @michaelgilligan61133
                                                On peak4 Said:

It seems you get …

WYSIWYG is such an outmoded concept, isn’t it ?

MichaelG.

peak4
                                                Participant
                                                  @peak4
                                                  On Nicholas Farr Said:

Hi, I can’t advance beyond page 1 in Engagements or Replies Created, in my profile, I first noticed this five days ago. So I don’t know if anyone else is having the same problem, although I did mention it back then.

Regards Nick.

I’ve not noticed the problem until you just mentioned it.
                                                  The facility certainly used to work when the forum was running very slowly, so I wonder if it’s unintended collateral damage from the efforts to speed things up.
                                                  I used to have a problem where I couldn’t get beyone the first page of a different section; I think it was either Classifieds or galleries.

The URL displays OK (sometimes) but the actual display still shows only the first page.

image_2024-01-04_202206053

If you just go to the header tab for Engagements ( or Topics Started, Replies Created etc) then  I guess it’s reasonable for it to default to the first 25 on Page one, but there is no page number shown in the URL

image_2024-01-04_202615173

Bill

Harry Wilkes
                                                  Participant
                                                    @harrywilkes58467
                                                    On JasonB Said:

On the plus side you ar ethe first person I have seen be able to wrap text around an image

Jason no its not Windows I run Linux Mint 21.2. I’m now using my laptop and going to try inserting image and text

H

Harry Wilkes
                                                    Participant
                                                      @harrywilkes58467

Elis-Cast-Ramp

Jason using my table I was able to do what you suggested and move the image up and add text but couldn’t resize image it seemed to have will of it own

H

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 298 total)