this is the worst site possible

Advert

this is the worst site possible

Home Forums Website Questions, Comments, and Suggestions this is the worst site possible

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 298 total)
  • Author
    Michael Gilligan
    Participant
      @michaelgilligan61133

IMG_9193IMG_9194

Advert
      Michael Gilligan
      Participant
        @michaelgilligan61133

… and a slightly better illustration of the user-experience:

Perfectly legible and uncluttered once you have scrolled through all the ###p

IMG_9195

A major failing of this site still seems to be that there is no consistent interface across different devices.

MichaelG.

David Ambrose
        Participant
          @davidambrose86182

I’m now seeing the Morton’s pop-op instead of the Warco one, but it still takes me to advintage.net when I click on it on my iPad.  And it is still just as annoying.

JasonB
            @jasonb

Thought I would try clicking the banner Ad David, I think they have lost the plot as this is what comes up. I’ve pointed out what the cause is previously but nothing done about it.

subscribe 404

SillyOldDuffer
              @sillyoldduffer

Login problem test post.  Seems OK.

Edit – except for an odd flash – try again.

JasonB
                @jasonb

No wonder the site sucks, there is one with a v in it too

sucks

S K
                Participant
                  @sk20060

It’s sped up a little, recently, and at least the “click on all the motorcycles” BS is on hiatus, but the latest hilarity is that “accept cookies, etc” nuisance thing.

Hit “Reject all” and … nothing happens, can’t proceed! Doesn’t work!? Must I accept? Ah, you can “accept all” perfectly well, and that seems to be about the only way to get past it? 🙄 Well, I fixed that by a bit of script magic that made this “Thou Shalt Not Pass!” test go away completely.

Anyway, the cohort of participants whose discussions I used to come here for have all moved elsewhere since the near-fatal collapse of this forum, so I doubt I’ll be back much more either. It’s sad, as I enjoyed my time here.

Thanks and good luck to those who remain.

peak4
                  Participant
                    @peak4
                    On JasonB Said:

No wonder the site sucks, there is one with a v in it too

sucks

I’ve just been having a quick check to see if I could find those URL mis-spellings, but can’t spot them anywhere now; Have they been mended or is it a cache issue?
                    There does seem to be rather a lot of different links and buttons to that specific URL though; I think I’ve found 14 different ones all on the site’s top page.
                    None of which actually take you to the Classic Magazines subscription page; I do appreciate that this site covers two magazines, unlike Model Boats, where the same buttons do  take you directly to the actual Classic Magazines subscription page.

Another odd one, If you actually do visit that “subscribe” URL, rather than the header page, The panel circled in lime green is a hyperlink to where you are already, but the “advert” one circled in pink, tells you how to advertise in Model Boats, not ME/MEW; the main page advert, about advertising here, seems to be more as you might expect.

image_2024-01-03_175746580

Bill

peak4
                    Participant
                      @peak4
                      On S K Said:

I………………. but the latest hilarity is that “accept cookies, etc” nuisance thing.

Hit “Reject all” and … nothing happens, can’t proceed! Doesn’t work!? Must I accept? Ah, you can “accept all” perfectly well, and that seems to be about the only way to get past it? 🙄

…………………………

I managed to get that to work OK for me on Windows10/Opera browser

Have a look at This Post
                      Post 702209 if the link fails

Bill

JasonB
                        @jasonb

I believe they have altered the typo in the url.

Have pointed out the Model Boats advert problem too along with another wrong link I found on the lego page as ” new forum here” doe snot take you to the forum.

Kiwi Bloke
                        Participant
                          @kiwibloke62605

All this discussion about adverts puzzles me. With the most basic advert blocking methods, this is what I see:

Screenshot_2024-01-04_08-12-58

Kiwi Bloke
                          Participant
                            @kiwibloke62605

Bother! Couldn’t add text below image. S’pose I should have reserved a blank line or two, after dropping the pic above them…

Using Firefox (slightly tweaked) on Linux, I’ve signed in with only model-engineer.co.uk, gstatic.com, and google.com scripts allowed. The last is required for the apparently pointless reCAPTCHA box to be ticked, no ‘puzzle’ displayed. All cross-site cookies are blocked. The adblocker is currently blocking 10 adverts – Hooray!

So it should be possible to change some settings to alleviate some of the complaints above. Perhaps…

Harry Wilkes
                            Participant
                              @harrywilkes58467

I too was wondering what the talk about adverts was about as I’ve mentioned I use Brave so I thought I’d take a look and this is what I could see on my tablet it filled the whole screen and I couldn’t reduce it.

Once again not being allowed to add image to text will try below

H

Harry Wilkes
                              Participant
                                @harrywilkes58467

Screenshot_20240103_213230_Samsung Internet

JasonB
                                  @jasonb

Well all I can say is as the adverts are the only real income for Morton from the forum, if you all start blocking the adverts you will have more to complain about when they decide to shut the forum down.

Also makes me wonder if help and advice should be offered to those using ad blockers, for example I could tell Kiwi and Harry how they can easily get the text after inserting an image but should I?

Then again it may be because your ad blocker is mucking something up, text here after the image with No ad blocking software No problem

sucks

It works without ad blocking.

Michael Gilligan
                                  Participant
                                    @michaelgilligan61133

Jason,

Speaking for myself: __ Although I don’t use an ad-blocker on the iPad, I still find it impractical [perhaps impossible] to insert text after an image.

This is probably because I just insert images at whatever size they happen to be

[the forum offers that capability, so why not use it]

Unfortunately, a large image will then ‘swamp’ the editing pane

I therefore insert images into the text when I have finished writing.

MichaelG.

dhendley
                                    Keymaster
                                      @dhendley

Warco have a new offer/advert starting today so you’ll see that later. Their Christmas offer ended at Christmas.

JasonB
                                        @jasonb

Michael you don’t need to see anything I often insert images and the right side is beyond the boundry of the editing box, just a case of knowing what to do which I have previously mentioned somewhere on here. bent wire thread is a good example the wider third image was beyond the reply box but no problem adding text after it.

Michael Gilligan
                                        Participant
                                          @michaelgilligan61133

Thanks, Jason

… maybe I am just too old/daft/clumsy/whatever …

or maybe it’s one of those [all too many] things that seem to  work a little differently on various devices.

I have found my work-around, and I can cope with the relatively minor inconvenience of that …

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan
                                          Participant
                                            @michaelgilligan61133
                                            On Darren Hendley 1 Said:

Warco have a new offer/advert starting today so you’ll see that later. Their Christmas offer ended at Christmas.

Whoopee !

Easter Bunnies, and Chicks

MichaelG.

Harry Wilkes
                                            Participant
                                              @harrywilkes58467
                                              On JasonB Said:

Well all I can say is as the adverts are the only real income for Morton from the forum, if you all start blocking the adverts you will have more to complain about when they decide to shut the forum down.

Also makes me wonder if help and advice should be offered to those using ad blockers, for example I could tell Kiwi and Harry how they can easily get the text after inserting an image but should I?

Then again it may be because your ad blocker is mucking something up, text here after the image with No ad blocking software No problem

sucks

It works without ad blocking.

Jason I don’t use a add blocker as such the Brave browser by its nature does it and other features to that’s why I use it. You say you could easily tell myself and Kiwi how to add text after inserting an image but then say ‘should I’ as a moderator I would suggest that if your protecting the interests of Mortons maybe not its up to you where to draw the line, as a forum member I would say yes you should is it not why we are members of the forum to both seek and share our knowledge !

Finally I am surprised that you would make such a statement.

H

Michael Gilligan
                                              Participant
                                                @michaelgilligan61133

For Harry & Jason

I think this illustrates the problem when composing on the iPad

IMG_9198

MichaelG.

Nicholas Farr
                                                Participant
                                                  @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, after inserting an image,

IMG_20240103_114332

just tap the return button, and carry on typing your text, as the curser will be on the right hand side of the image, and by using the return will put a space between your image and the new line of text.

I normally use my laptop when making replies, but I did this one on my Android phone, just to see if it was easy enough for me to do, and I had no problems.

Regards Nick.

JasonB
                                                    @jasonb

Test

20230927_130041_OriginalNew line after

JasonB
                                                      @jasonb

There you go, as I hardly ever use an ipad it took me longer to work out how to find and paste the image on the borrowed ipad than it did to put the text after it.

After inserting the image I just pushed it up a bit with my finger so I could see “white” space below, tapped my finger on that and typed. Simples

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 298 total)