That cheap Parkside wood-lathe

Advert

That cheap Parkside wood-lathe

Home Forums Workshop Tools and Tooling That cheap Parkside wood-lathe

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Andy_H
    Participant
      @andy_h
      On Dalboy Said:
      On KEITH BEAUMONT Said:

Watching that video and seeing the “demontrator” putting a rough,square, piece of wood in the lathe and try to cut it ,made me cringe!  I would have expected him to know to take all the corners off first, before putting it in the lathe and keep stalling the motor.

Keith.

The item I am working on at the moment requires a round 2″ dia piece of wood and I need 6 of them, I tend to start with a square piece of wood and then take it too round. It is down to presentation of the tool which as a novice he is not doing rather than that he is using it like a scraper which is why all of the catches

Exactly my first thought too! Also maybe sharpen the tools first as well.

The headstock wobble is a bit worrying and the problem securing the tool rest would quickly annoy me and motivate me to modify something. But, as someone else, horses for courses. It depends what one want’s it for – obviously wood turning I know! But if it’s a try out “to see if I’m interested in the hobby” probably fine. Or maybe to make a couple of things (rather than paying someone to do it) but with no longer term use probably equally fine.

Andy

Advert
      larry phelan 1
      Participant
        @larryphelan1

I would have to agree with Dave, there is no point in spending a huge amount of money on equipment which is far better than you need. As long as the tool suits the type of work you do and you are not working 24/7, good enough is good enough.  I have spanners I bought many years ago, not top-of-the-range, which I,m still using. I also have some Aldi and Lidl sets which are quite good enough for my needs. OK, some stuff needs to be good, but not all, otherwise very few of us would have anything, due to cost.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)