Testing a steam whistle on Air

Advert

Testing a steam whistle on Air

Home Forums Help and Assistance! (Offered or Wanted) Testing a steam whistle on Air

• This topic has 5 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 4 May 2024 at 06:47 by Speedy Builder5.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Greensands
    Participant
      @greensands

Hi – Is it practical to test a whistle constructed for a miniature steam locomotive by using air in place of steam? The design I am experimenting  with is one based upon that published in a recent ME  and the results when tested around 50psi have been disappointing, the sound issuing from the tube being more one of escaping air rather than a musical note. I also note that this particular design uses a double slot as opposed to the more usual single slot. Any views and comments would be very welcomed.

Advert
      roy entwistle
      Participant
        @royentwistle24699

You cannot test a steam whistle on air as far as I know

Roy

norm norton
        Participant
          @normnorton75434

A whistle that sounds fine on steam will blow fine on air, but at a slightly different pitch. Conversely, a whistle that works on air will not necessarily sound right on steam. I say this from my limited trial and error experiments.

I think it is because under steam there is more energy being inserted (higher viscosity, temperature?) and the whistle that was OK on air will now have a whole set of additional harmonics that sound like the trodden-on cat.

Norm

noel shelley
          Participant
            @noelshelley55608

I’m with Norm on this, it should work but at a different pitch.  Pressure will have a bearing on the matter to. Noel.

Clive Brown 1
            Participant
              @clivebrown1

LBSC’s “Shop Shed and Road” has a good chapter on whistles of various types. Tuning of chime whistles on air is described. The need for fairly high pressure is mentioned; ie 60+ psi.

Speedy Builder5
              Participant
                @speedybuilder5

The whistle I made for SPEEDY 5″ loco works well on steam, air and human breath. I made it from a section of tube taken from a trumpet that had been “trampled on”.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)