Test Thread for inserting images

Advert

Test Thread for inserting images

Home Forums New Forum Software questions, comments and Test Threads Test Thread for inserting images

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    peak4
    Participant
      @peak4

Next post with the same image

I’m goint to try and edit it after uploading, but not submitting
      Well that failed, but I did get this extra box when I right clicked the image, which allows you to align it with the text, assuming the image is small enough.

image_2023-10-26_234547485

This image is re-sized in Faststone image viewer to 400 pixels wide.
      P3150151_400

And this one is 600 pixels wide
      P3150151_600

Bill

Advert
      David George 1
      Participant
        @davidgeorge1

test from David George.

20221016_203754

this is the latch and ramp with inserted ball bearing which allows the slide to put a cut on without altering the cut depth on my self extracting threading tool holder.

David

ChrisLH
        Participant
          @chrislh

Dear me, have another go.

ChrisLH
          Participant
            @chrislh

Managed to post pictures via albums but totally foxed by the new arrangement. Using W10, clicked picture icon as per instructions but then what, no further guidance offered ? Dragged and dropped an image into blank screen as instructed, unable to proced from there. Am I the only one ?

Bazyle
            Participant
              @bazyle

When you click the icon you get a target area to drag to, not the whole screen. Now I just found out you can click on the target and it gets your rile manager on screen. This screen capture I will attempt shows the target half covered by the file manager. Tried to smallify it without much luck.
              fmlknts7

ChrisLH
              Participant
                @chrislh

Thanks Bazyle, I’ll give that a go. It would have been good if “they” had said all that in the “Help” section as some of us are verging on the computer illiterate. It has worked but only to the extent of 10% of the image offered.D-W Parted

ChrisLH
                Participant
                  @chrislh

But no, I have been misled by the preview! It’s all there. Many thanks. Just need to remember all that for when I actually want to post a relevant image.

peak4
                  Participant
                    @peak4

OK, at the top of Page 2 of this topic, in post 682780, I started to have a play with re-sized images.
                    It looks like you can’t re-size withing this forum, so I used Fastone Image Viewer for my re-sizing

Images are inserted using the button in this screenshot, which opens the lower pane, where images can be dragged,  the window clicked on to point to File Exploer (in Windows, no idea on a MAC or Android), Or clicked on and you can select an image. The last one is what I’ve just used to add this screenshot, where a preview of my clipboard allowed selection.
                    image_2023-10-27_171327968

This first proper image is actually an Infra Red 720nm panorama of a local reservoir, but not re-sized at all, and is 3200 pixels wide, and about 1.1mB. The resizing is done automatuically by the forum, so it fills the width of the post.
                    I dragged it in from an open prevew window in Windows Explorer

XA250157_DxO-Flickr_stitch

Now, if I were to click on that image in this posting pane, I would get the following options open up;
                    this screenshot is actually from a different post, but illustrates what I mean;

image_2023-10-27_171931755

Next lets insert a long thin image; this is 200 pixels wide, having been resized externally as discussed earlier.
                    I then clicked on the Align Centre icon. Still aligned left Bah Humbug
                    I’ve no idea what will happen, as there’s no “Preview Post” button, only “Submit”

P7190025_DxO-Flickr_200 wide

Next image is 400 pixels wide, and I’ve selected “Align Right”; edit, seems it didn’t work Ho Hum

P7190028_DxO-Flickr_400 Wide-2

I was really hoping to get some option(s) for text wrapping, now that I can paste in narrower images, but can’t spot anything

image_2023-10-27_172750859

I’ll try a screenshot of the Submit button and see what happens; The next but one screenshot screenshot (of the actual button) was selected as  “No Alignment”

image_2023-10-27_173037089

N.B. this is a screenshot, and not some fancy shorcut.

image_2023-10-27_172858119

Edit, @jasonb, is this another one for Admin/Developers?
                    Sorry to tag you in, but I’ve no idea how else to report
                    I’ll try adding Neil @neilwyatt

It looks like the align image buttons don’t work

As you can see, there’s several typos in my text above; Has the auto spellchecker been turned off as the previous red highlighting is no longer showing.

Can we have a “Preview” button along side the Submit one please.

Many modern forums seem to hold the preview edit cache on the server; that way if you accidentally hit the back button, or back-screen with a mouse shortcut, you don’t loose your work from the edit/compose pane.
                    Not very important for quick posts, but a major pain when composing long posts such as this.

This new forum appears to hold any input typing/images in the browser cache, so all is lost with a back-screen.

Bill

Bazyle
                    Participant
                      @bazyle

I copied your lake photo into Paint and it was 1200 wide, not the 3200 you started with so it permanently shrinks and 1200 is its preferred size (could be linked to my screen setting though).
                      Then I copied your 200 wide and it came into Paint as 400 wide but had included a white pane to the rght to make up the width. Your 400 wide copied correctly.
                      Now I have made an image 600 wide. (Lyn at EDMES with Kev and Ces in the background – on the embankment is BR to Londinium) Edit _ checked this has come out 600 wide correctly.
                      Small Lyn

John P
                      Participant
                        @johnp77052

Full size image  from the  computer .Seems to show  all of the original  photo ,why  do you need to crop  submitted photo’s.

photo3

Andrew Johnston
                        Participant
                          @andrewjohnston13878

Trial post:

2023_10260061

Andrew

peak4
                          Participant
                            @peak4
                            On John P Said:

Full size image  from the  computer .Seems to show  all of the original  photo ,why  do you need to crop  submitted photo’s.

John, that’s what I was hoping to illustrate in my previous post on this thread.
                            The Max-Min thermometer is a tall thin image.
                            If I had it inserted at full width, it would have been taller than many peoples screens.
                            Similarly, if you’re trying to illustrate a point about something, a smaller image embedded in the text of a post is all that’s required; anything larger becomes distracting.

If you’re discussing the content of a photo, it becomes difficult for the reader, if they have to constantly scroll up and down the screen to view both the text and photo.

What is sometimes far better, is the option to add a displayed image of say 300/400 pixels,
                            i.e. part viewing pane width, and then have the option to click on that photo for a full size image of whatever size the poster uploaded, maybe  even 1200/1600 pixels.

One way round this might be to host your photo off the forum, say on Flickr, insert a 400 pixel wide image in the post, which the reader can then click on to be taken to the poster’s prferred photo hosting site for the full sized image.

This is one major disadvantage of not having a local photo album hosted on this site.
                            Lots of people used to use sites such as PhotoBucket for this purpose, but they have now stopped providing that free embedding  facility, leading to lots of broken forum posts all over the internet.
                            Other sites have closed completely, leading to many people losing all their in-line images.

Much of this though goes against the idea of this forum being a one stop shop for its own content.

To expand slightly further, if all you want to do is to show a single image, full pane width of 800 pixels(ish) might be fine, but if the poster is trying to compare two imagers, it’s often better to have them side by side, but the current forum doesn’t seem to allow that, and when they are posted consecutively one above the other, the viewer constantly has to scroll between them, as each image almost fills the height of the screen; add into that reading relevant text to aid the comparison, and the whole thing becomes hard to manage.

This is supposed to be an engineering forum, where engagement between members for assistance is highly valued.
                            The current way that images are displayed may well make someone with valuable input, reluctant to assist as it’s too much like hard work to illustrate their point.

As it stands at the moment, to add what I hope are helpful annotated screenshots, I’m using 2 monitors, one photo processing package, + faststone Image Viewer for re-sizing and text annotation, a different screengrab program, which I then have to import into Faststone for text annotation, a second browser on the second screen to make screengrabbing easier, as it’s in portrait mode etc.
                            I can’t imagine many posters are either equipped, or prepared to put up with the hassle.

It’s not helped when the final submitted post displays quite differently to what’s visible in the edit pane; they seem to have different text sizes/fonts, so the text moves around between edit panes and displayed posts.
                            I’ll have to try and stop banging on about the need for a preview button.

Bill

Michael Gilligan
                            Participant
                              @michaelgilligan61133
                              On peak4 Said:

Please don’t stop, Bill

… someone might eventually listen !

MichaelG.

Nicholas Farr
                              Participant
                                @nicholasfarr14254

Hi Andrew, a very fine looking piece of workmanship. Hopefully we’ll see the finished engines.

Regards Nick.

peak4
                                Participant
                                  @peak4
                                  On Andrew Johnston Said:

Trial post:

2023_10260061

Andrew

On Nicholas Farr Said:

Hi Andrew, a very fine looking piece of workmanship. Hopefully we’ll see the finished engines.

Regards Nick.

Andrew, I concurr with Nicholas, and I hope you don’t mind me using your fine workmanship as an example of a posting topic

In addition to my above very long diatribe on this page, regarding the use for in-forum re-sizing, and or cropping, when a member wishes to comment, and quote a photo in the context of a previous post, the original photo is reproduced full size, along with the original text, again filling the window and leading to unneccesary scrolling.

Yes the commentor can delete the photo from the quoted post, but if the reply appears on the next forum page, nobody knows what the comment is about.
                                  I think personally if a poster modifies a quoted post, even if by just deleting some of the text, it’s polite to make it obvious, such as adding a like of dots or similar, exactly as Michael did when he quoted me just obove here.

P.s. It’s not too bad here where the quoted post only contains one photo, but where there are multiple photos or screenshots, quoting can become very unweildy

Bill

Ady1
                                  Participant
                                    @ady1

view options

Michael Gilligan
                                    Participant
                                      @michaelgilligan61133

What’s the second one, Ady ?

… I only see a question mark, on a blue background.

MichaelG.

Correction … it’s just appeared

Peter Greene
                                      Participant
                                        @petergreene36336

IMG_4119

Ady1
                                        Participant
                                          @ady1

An album image

Image 2 in “various”

the size seems to have changed??

aha, depends where you link from

Peter Greene
                                          Participant
                                            @petergreene36336
                                            On Michael Gilligan Said:
                                            On peak4 Said:

Please don’t stop, Bill

… someone might eventually listen !

MichaelG.

+1

Bazyle
                                            Participant
                                              @bazyle

Back to an earlier question. The need to CROP is to remove irrelevant parts of a photo, background or children from a group shot.

The need for sizing is to avoid  every photo being huge when 600 wide or less is usually enough. A common courtesy for people with limited or expensive bandwidth.

Michael Gilligan
                                              Participant
                                                @michaelgilligan61133
                                                On Bazyle Said:

Back to an earlier question. The need to CROP is to remove irrelevant parts of a photo, background or children from a group shot.

The need for sizing is to avoid  every photo being huge when 600 wide or less is usually enough. A common courtesy for people with limited or expensive bandwidth.

So … any cropping should be done before posting here

… and sizing should be done by the forum software.

[ I was under the impression that it already worked like that ]

There should then be no excessive consumption of bandwidth unless the viewer chooses to open the full-size file by clicking on the posted version.

Mortons’ storage space might get quickly used if we all post lots of high MB images,  but that’s a different matter.

MichaelG.

Bazyle
                                                Participant
                                                  @bazyle

New discovery- I previously reported that when composing a post having added a picture I can right click on the picture and get a limited editing option that allows croping but not resizing. I now realise that this is a feature of either Win10 or probably  Edge browser. Not the forum software.

New failure. I got trapped by rain so logged in on my phone (I never tried before) and my last post was off that. However I got completely flummoxed trying to add a photo off the phone. Is it possible (Samsung)? Now back home and was still logged in on PC, ie no ‘one device only’.

peak4
                                                  Participant
                                                    @peak4

I’ve been having another play, last night for the first time, I tried viewing this forum on my Google Pixel 3 mobile phone, using opera Touch as a phone browser.
                                                    I went to Post 682780 as I knew I’d posted 3 images at various known pixel widths,
                                                    A screenshot, which was re-sized by the forum to fit pane width, one Zoll micrometer photo at 400 pixels wide, which fitted ½ pane width and one copy of the micrometer at 600pixels wide.
                                                    Have a look at the relevant post, where you will see that they did display as expected in relation to pane width.

When viewed on the phone (confusingly named as a Pixel-3) both the 400 & the 600 pixel wide images filled the pane width.

Here’s a screenshot of what is seen on the phone, saved as a .png and  imported to my PC for insertion here.
                                                    The white space to the right of my phone screenshot seems odd, as the actual inserted image of the phone’s display was 1080wide x 2160 high & 1.77MB before the forum does anything with it.

Screenshot_20231029-121244

There is something weird going on regarding the way the forum both re-sizes and displays embedded photos on different devices.

If I now hold the phone in Landscape format, this is the screenshot

Screenshot_20231029-124304

As you can see, the 400 pixel wide image partially fills the pane width, and the 600 wide one fills it

The big white space on the left of the screenshot isn’t the wasted space it may appear; scrolling up out of shot, it’s where my avatar and contact details reside.

Screenshot_20231029-125004[1]

Bill

peak4
                                                    Participant
                                                      @peak4

Having another play with different sized images; all re-sized before importing

1000 pixels wide x 750 High  Zoll P3150151_1000 Wide

600 pixels wide x 450 high
                                                      Zoll P3150151_600

400 pixels wide x 300 high
                                                      Zoll P3150151_400

To me the second two photos, 400 & 600 wide, imply that the overall width of the submitted posted pane is about 800 pixels; they are not expanded to fill the width of the posting pane.

N.B. this refers only to how it’s displayed on a widescreen monitor on W10 & Opera browser.
                                                      Mobile devices (and maybe Apple) are a different ballgame altogether.

Now submitting this post to see how it displays on this monitor.
                                                      Next I will come back and in each case, right click and “Save Image As” to see what size the forum has re-sized it.

Zoll 600 wide downloads as 1000 x 750 i.e. the same pixel size as uploaded
                                                      Zoll 600 wide downloads as 600 x 450
                                                      Zoll 400 wide downloads as 400 x 300

The Zoll 1000 stays as 1000 wide, but is shrunk for display on a pane only 800 wide.

If I now upload the full sized image
                                                      5184 pixels wide x 3888 high 4.21 MB 350dpi
                                                      P3150151

This is resized and saved by the forum as
                                                      1200 wide x 900 High 108.0KB 96dpi
                                                      The image is then shrunk to display full width on the 800 pixel wide forum pane
                                                      Note that this is a considerable space saving on the server’s storage, but also on bandwidth for those viewing the post.
                                                      It was mentioned on another post somewhere that for some users, bandwidth and data costs may be significant expenditure.

It appears that anything wider than 1200 pixels is re-sized, by the forum software, down to 1200, and the DPI resolution dropped to 96, as this is all that’s needed for a screen display.
                                                      Up to 800 pixels wide display as uploaded, and anything greater than 800(ish) are shrunk to fit 800 wide, though not necessarily re-sized on the server.

The smaller images were uploaded @ 72dpi, appear to be kept at that resolution, and not re-sampled to 96dpi

Bill

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 68 total)