TEST THREAD

Advert

TEST THREAD

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    Julian Floof
    Participant
      @julianfloof92650

(new user) using this to see if my account is working. i'm not seeing any post after i post anywhere, but i'm not getting an email to verify etc

Advert
      Neil Wyatt
        @neilwyatt

It take a while before first posts can be approved by a moderator.

It's our main line of defence against con artists.

Neil

Steviegtr
        Participant
          @steviegtr

The only bit of this forum I don't like is that you can only edit for a short while. So if a day later I see I have errored I can not go back & correct it, as I can with most of the other forums I am on. 5 in total.

Neil Wyatt
            @neilwyatt

When the forum was set up it was in the days when people changing their posts to make others look foolish was a concern. These days things move on too fast for this to be a worry, but similarly past errors slip down the list just as fast!

Neil

Former Member
            Participant
              @formermember19781

[This posting has been removed]

Dave Wootton
              Participant
                @davewootton

Just A test!!!!! I'm not very computery and wanted to try and post a picture.    It Worked !crab picture.jpg

Edited By Dave Wootton on 01/05/2020 06:29:38

Boris Gaspar
                Participant
                  @borisgaspar86293

I'm new here. I just signed up so I could ask you blokes a question regarding specific BSW threads

I'm just posting to see if it works

Simon Werner
                  Participant
                    @simonwerner38477

New here, need to post a couple of times

Rob Wills
                    Participant
                      @robwills

Hi, I'm a new member, not used forums before, so just finding my feet.

David George 1
                      Participant
                        @davidgeorge1

Hi Rob welcome to the forum but please post on the new members thread to get the best from here.

David

Chris Kirby 1
                        Participant
                          @chriskirby1

Hi all,

New member so here`s my first test post, very wise advice I always think!

If in danger or in doubt,

Always keep a sharp lookout.

SillyOldDuffer
                            @sillyoldduffer

Test Post experimenting to see if a moderator can format source code, which should be indented and in a fixed width font, not as formatted by the forum editor.

Example from Michael Gilligan, corrected by me:

#define THRESHOLD 10
                            #define PUSH_TIME 30
                            #define A_PIN A0

void setup() {
                                pinMode(A_PIN,INPUT);
                                analogReference(INTERNAL);
                            }

void loop() {
                                if(analogRead(A_PIN)>THRESHOLD) {
                                   pinMode(A_PIN,OUTPUT);
                                   digitalWrite(A_PIN,HIGH);
                                   delay(PUSH_TIME);
                                   pinMode(A_PIN,INPUT);
                                }
                                delay(1);
                            }

Comment: Font can be changed suitably with an HTML <code> … <code> block

Unfortunately tab characters and multiple spaces don't survive when computer source is  pasted. (because tabs were removed in HTML3)  I can put in &nbsp characters manually but correcting indentation this way is a right pain. 

<span style> doesn't seem to work – need to swot up on HTML – probably doing it wrong!

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 15/09/2020 18:46:49

JasonB
                              @jasonb

Dave, when you edit a post it is possible to look at the source, top left of editor, useful when someone posts text by copy and pasting and brings over formatting that may for example push the text into the right hand adverts.

SillyOldDuffer
                                @sillyoldduffer
                                Posted by JasonB on 15/09/2020 18:24:08:

Dave, when you edit a post it is possible to look at the source, top left of editor, …

Thanks Jason, exploring that now. Seems possible but hard work!

Cheers,

Dave

Oldiron
                                Participant
                                  @oldiron

Hi. JasonB Paste does not work for me. Copy works ok but have to use ctr V to paste copied text.

Is this usual ?

Am using latest version of Edge and get message browser not supported.

regards

SillyOldDuffer
                                    @sillyoldduffer
                                    Posted by Oldiron on 15/09/2020 18:34:09:

Paste does not work for me. Copy works ok but have to use ctr V to paste copied text.

Is this usual ?

Am using latest version of Edge and get message browser not supported.

Same with Firefox. It's a security improvement designed to stop hackers embedding the equivalent of copy, cut and paste commands in web-pages that copy what you have displayed on screen back to Evil HQ. The browser blocks mouse clicks because they can be simulated in software, and insists on the user typing CTRL-V because only a human being can do that.

Bit of a nuisance on most websites but it stops private data being nicked whilst online banking etc.

Dave

Oldiron
                                    Participant
                                      @oldiron

Thanks for the reply Dave. Makes sense now.

regards

Michael Gilligan
                                      Participant
                                        @michaelgilligan61133
                                        Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 15/09/2020 18:18:10:

Test Post experimenting to see if a moderator can format source code, which should be indented and in a fixed width font, not as formatted by the forum editor.

Example from Michael Gilligan, corrected by me:

[…]

My five minutes of fame … and I didn’t even notice blush

MichaelG.

Turbine Guy
                                        Participant
                                          @turbineguy

I am trying to see if I can make this link to an online video work. Online video link

Michael Gilligan
                                          Participant
                                            @michaelgilligan61133
                                            Posted by Turbine Guy on 12/10/2020 13:09:11:

I am trying to see if I can make this link to an online video work. Online video link

Assuming that it’s the Steam Boat … it works for me

MichaelG.

JasonB
                                              @jasonb

Also possible to click the "share" tab on the video and pick up the embed code then you can click on the Youtube icon at the top of the reply box and paste the embed code in the box that comes up. I prefer this way as people can see what they are about to click on and decide to watch or not.

Edited By JasonB on 12/10/2020 14:37:33

Colin D
                                              Participant
                                                @colind

Just a test post, to see if it works, having had to do a password reset, and forgetting my username.

Colin

pix germany01
                                                Participant
                                                  @pixgermany0146937

How to generate a forgetting password and user name ?

JasonB
                                                    @jasonb

Let a moderator know your old username and the password can be reset. Best done by clicking "message member" just under this reply box.

Hopper
                                                    Participant
                                                      @hopper

Test photo hosting site imgur.

https://imgur.com/XTA62Y7

https://i.imgur.com/XTA62Y7.jpg

Ooh Look at that. The fourth option Imgur offers, labelled "HTML (Website/blogs) works and posts an actual picture, below. Sooooooooo much quicker and easier than tediously and painfully slowly uploading pics to this site and then linking to the album and so on.

I will try it on a live thread now.

Well it seems that it works ok but not on the first save and viewing. You have to reopen the post for editing then close it again and the code magically changes into a picture. This site is the weirdest. Imgur offers a few other options so I will try them too.

This one is the BBCode option

[img]https://i.imgur.com/XTA62Y7.jpg[/img]

And this one is the Linked BBCode option.

[url=https://imgur.com/XTA62Y7][img]http://i.imgur.com/XTA62Y7.jpg[/img][/url]

Let's see how they work.

Well, the last two options didn't, obviously.

So the best way is:

Upload your pics to Imgur.

Copy and paste the Imgur HTML link onto your post here.

Close your post. Reopen it for editing. Close your post again.

It is still quicker than uploading to this site and doing the album and all that faff.

Edited By Hopper on 21/01/2023 03:36:56

Edited By Hopper on 21/01/2023 03:39:48

Edited By Hopper on 21/01/2023 03:55:10

Edited By Hopper on 21/01/2023 03:55:44

Edited By Hopper on 21/01/2023 03:58:09

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 131 total)