TEST THREAD

Advert

TEST THREAD

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    Michael Gilligan
    Participant
      @michaelgilligan61133

Thanks, Bill & Gray, for investigating this

I am using an iPad, with iPadOS 13, and it now appears that Apple must be complicit

Compatibility with forum software seems to getting worse:

For another interesting ‘issue’ … Have a look at the file-names in my Album: **LINK**

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/albums/member_album.asp?a=51627

The images with simple file-names were posted either from the Mac or from the iPad running iOS 10

Since updating from iOS 10, image files have long hexadecimal names !

Note: the original names are retained when eMailing or saving files elsewhere: This problem only manifests itself on this and one other forum that I use.

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 16/12/2019 11:58:44

Advert
      peak4
      Participant
        @peak4

Happy to be of assistance.
        One of the photo forums I use, the UK Olympus one, had members reporting problems with the latest Apple software interacting badly with one of the photo catalogues; maybe Lightroom, I'm not sure. Certainly it rubbished their photo archives. I think it affected both raw and jpgs.

The only raw Apples here at the moment are Granny Smiths, but oddly all the processed ones seem to be re-named Calvados for some reason. smile o

Bill

Michael Gilligan
        Participant
          @michaelgilligan61133

smiley

Howard Lewis
          Participant
            @howardlewis46836

Unless someone has posted this before, the only way that I can avoid those EXPLETIVE smiley things appearing, is to leave a space before the closing bracket.

Howard

Michael Gilligan
            Participant
              @michaelgilligan61133
              Posted by Howard Lewis on 16/12/2019 21:21:57:

Unless someone has posted this before, the only way that I can avoid those EXPLETIVE smiley things appearing, is to leave a space before the closing bracket.

Howard

Using square brackets instead of round parentheses works too, and avoids risking the occasional ‘orphan’ )

MichaelG.

P.S. Howard … You may find it useful to look at page 1 of this thread.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 16/12/2019 22:06:16

Zan
              Participant
                @zan
                Posted by OuBallie on 30/08/2014 16:33:44:

Another thought for the web designer is to include a 'Preview' button if possible.

Just found this thread and I wholeheartedly agree with this, a preview would remove the frequent edit info.

edit.     Just like this one like a number of mine for typos or silly auto fill 

Edited By Zan on 16/12/2019 23:14:27

old mart
                Participant
                  @oldmart

imgp0938.jpgJust checking where my pictures go relative to the text.imgp0937.jpg

old mart
                  Participant
                    @oldmart

_igp2426.jpgAnother try._igp2382.jpg

old mart
                    Participant
                      @oldmart

Well, I tried writing first, then putting two pictures in and then posting, that didn't work. Then I wrote the text and added two pictures and scrolled down before posting, that didn't work either. Then I tried putting the pictures in first, which then left no room to place text, I didn't bother to post that.

Bazyle
                      Participant
                        @bazyle

I write some text, then put in a newline, then write again. Then go back to put the images on their own on the newlines.
                        If you want to keep things tight like this sentence both in text or making the newlines for pictures instead of just hitting return use <shift return> which avoids the double spaced lines.

This gap above was a regular return.
                        This was shift return.

peak4
                        Participant
                          @peak4

Old Mart, What I normally do, is to type in the initial block of text first, copy it, open a Notepad window and paste the text in there.
                          If I screw it up, I then have a copy of the text that I can re-use, rather than re-typing.

After the text I add several carriage returns, more than needed, and then add a photo after the first one.

This gives me space to insert the picture, with some more spare carriage returns already in place below it to add the next block of text, and the second photo etc.

Seems to work reasonably well.

One of the reasons I copy and paste the text to notepad, is that I have mouse gestures enabled in my browser, so it's possible to accidentally "page back" and lose everything I've already typed.

Also, if you want to copy and paste text from an external source, in order to quote something, paste it into Notepad first, and then copy back from there, and into your nascent post on here; it's an easy way to remove any formatting from the original source.

Bill

JasonB
                            @jasonb

I type first paragraph, hit return to get a new line then insert the image.

20191221_065537[1].jpg

After that I scroll down and put my cursor to the bottom right of the image, if you look at the above you van see the I shaped cursor and then click that you will then get a thin flashing black line down the right of the image indicating where you are on the page which can also be seen in the above.. Hit return again and you will be ready to start a new line of text under the image or add another

JasonB
                              @jasonb
                              Posted by old mart on 20/12/2019 21:54:20:

Then I tried putting the pictures in first, which then left no room to place text, I didn't bother to post that.

If you put a picture in first and then want to add text before it then click on the picture to highlight it and then click the left arrow on the keyboard. Much like my previous post this will make a blue line flash down the left side of the image to indicate where you are on the screen. Then hit return which will add an empty line before the image, scroll up to that and add your text

20191221_073151[1].jpg

old mart
                              Participant
                                @oldmart

Computer keyboards don't have a "return" key.

old mart
                                Participant
                                  @oldmart

Having another go.

_igp2383.jpg

old mart
                                  Participant
                                    @oldmart

That worked by pressing the "enter" key about three times before adding the pic.

_igp2509.jpg

old mart
                                    Participant
                                      @oldmart

_igp2497.jpgAdding more than one pic.

_igp2504.jpg

old mart
                                      Participant
                                        @oldmart

_igp2423.jpgThat didn't work, will try scrolling between pics.

_igp2376.jpg

old mart
                                        Participant
                                          @oldmart

Not only did the text get muddled up, but the pics are in reversed order.

JasonB
                                            @jasonb
                                            Posted by old mart on 22/12/2019 14:29:16:

Computer keyboards don't have a "return" key.

That's where you are going wrong, with two of the people suggesting how to do it saying to use return then your keyboard must be missing a key.

Edited By JasonB on 22/12/2019 15:41:52

old mart
                                            Participant
                                              @oldmart

Strange that after looking at four different keyboards, plus my 2 year old laptop, there is no "return" key. I think the "return " key must be a legacy from typewriters. That said, I'm no closer to getting more than one picture to behave in a post at a time. 

_igp2432.jpg

Edited By old mart on 22/12/2019 18:20:41

old mart
                                              Participant
                                                @oldmart

Another stab at multiple pictures.

imgp0936.jpg

imgp0937.jpg

old mart
                                                Participant
                                                  @oldmart

I pressed the enter(return) key multiple times between pictures.

_igp2378.jpg

_igp2377.jpg

old mart
                                                  Participant
                                                    @oldmart

Now I must remember how to get it right in future.

_igp2428.jpg

_igp2427.jpg

_igp2386.jpg

_igp2375.jpg

Mike Poole
                                                    Participant
                                                      @mikepoole82104

The “return” key should generate a carriage return and a line feed or you will keep typing on the same line, some old ascii terminals used to have a dip switch to select whether you did just return or have a line feed as well. These things don’t seem to trouble us much these days as dumb terminals are quite rare now.

Mike

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 131 total)