TAPLIN TWIN 7 ccm

Advert

TAPLIN TWIN 7 ccm

Home Forums Miscellaneous models TAPLIN TWIN 7 ccm

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael Herbst
    Participant
      @michaelherbst53014

Good day everybody,

i am Michael from Germany. 64 vears old and i have been working with model diesel engines since my youth, especially Taifun engines, which i restore and anodize myself.

I also build a Webra 4 cylinder inline, which you can seen on You Tube.

I drive and love English motorcycles. BSA B33 1951 and TRITON Pre Unit 1956.

My question:

currently i restoring a TAPLIN TWIN 7 ccm boat enginge.

What thread size is used in this engine? Maybe some from the experts can help me.

Best regards

Michael

Advert
      Michael Herbst
      Participant
        @michaelherbst53014
        John Haine
        Participant
          @johnhaine32865

Hello Michael, welcome to the forum. Would be great to see some photos especially of the Webra (and/or a link to the video).

Given that the Taplin is a British product of the 50s/60s IIRC, it may well use BA sizes. From my days messing around with British diesels in model aircraft (PAW19D, ME10 etc) I think they used BA sizes.

Ramon Wilson
          Participant
            @ramonwilson3

Hello Michael from a fellow engine lover.

I re-bored and rebuilt a quite old and abused air cooled Taplin Twin many years ago and as John says they are BA threads on the original engines. They would either be 6 or 5BA from memory. Later versions were made in India I believe but whether they had BA threads or not I have no idea.

The version I did had a very soft aluminium cast case with several threads stripped. I bored out all tapped holes and made threaded inserts out of a much better aluminium material before drilling and re tapping the holes which worked well. It started very easily and ran extremely well though a strange feel on flicking after so many single cylinders before

This was well before I owned a digital camera I'm afraid so have no images that I can recall

Good luck with yours

Best – Tug

Ramon Wilson
            Participant
              @ramonwilson3

Hi again, further to that last post I thought you might find these helpful

taplin twin 7cc page 1.jpg

taplin twin 7cc page 2.jpg

taplin twin 7cc page 3.jpg

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)