Subscription Renewal Email – CAUTION

Advert

Subscription Renewal Email – CAUTION

Home Forums Subscription issues and Digital magazines Subscription Renewal Email – CAUTION

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    doubletop
    Participant
      @doubletop

I have just recieved and email from help@me.secureorder.co.uk advising me that I need to renew my subscription. In the email is a a link

"So what are you waiting for? "Simply click here to renew today"

This takes you to a renewal page that is for the print and digital copies. Currently I only subscribe to the print version. The link doesn't allow the type of subscription to be changed. Basically, they are trying to sucker me into buying both.

Just select the "Subscribe" link in the black bar above and take it from there. You'll be able to select which subscription you want.

Pete

Edited By Doubletop on 09/07/2018 22:01:59

Advert
      doubletop
      Participant
        @doubletop
        DMB
        Participant
          @dmb

Methinks it's a scam.

Neil, can you please shed some light on this?

doubletop
          Participant
            @doubletop

Not a scam.

The link goes directly to the same url as you would get to if you followed the subscription link at the top of this page. It also has my correct account details.

No this is just an attempt to up the subscription by the third party subscriptions website.

Pete

Hopper
            Participant
              @hopper

"Pro-active marketing".

doubletop
              Participant
                @doubletop

Again – this is nothing to do with scam emails or dodgy email links. Let us please not loose the purpose of this thread.

JasonB
                  @jasonb

I have deleted the posts related to Spam/scam.

Pete was just saying to be careful that you don't pay for Print and digital if you only want print or digital. I have also altered the title from Warning to Caution.

Edited By JasonB on 11/07/2018 10:47:46

Michael Gilligan
                  Participant
                    @michaelgilligan61133
                    Posted by Doubletop on 11/07/2018 10:26:36:

Again – this is nothing to do with scam emails or dodgy email links. Let us please not loose the purpose of this thread.

Trying to keep on-topic, Pete … is it ME, or MEW, to which you subscribe ?

[ from the email address that you quoted, I would presume it to be ME ]

MichaelG.

JasonB
                      @jasonb

Michael, the me.secureorder is the 3rd party that deals with subs not ME mag as there is no mew.secureorder.

The links at the top of the page take you to a model-engineer website page and from their to one of the me.secure pages depending on which mag you select ME or MEW

doubletop
                      Participant
                        @doubletop

Thanks Jason

The other point being that by using the link in the email it is not possible to change the option. Using the "subscribe" link above you can select either or both.

Michael

Good point; In this case it is ME but I do subscribe to ME and MEW

Pete

There is an element of déjà vu here as well. Last time I renewed  (3 years ago) there was a different price if you used the emailed link, the pricing in the renewal letter or the direct online 'subscribe" link. Neil was on the case back then.

Edited By Doubletop on 11/07/2018 11:00:09

Edited By Doubletop on 11/07/2018 11:08:45

Michael Gilligan
                        Participant
                          @michaelgilligan61133

Thanks for clarifying that, Jason … it's the reason that I asked the question.

The url available at the top of this page is:

Super Simplex Boiler Pipes re welded getting better with practice

Always happy to be wrong, but: I doubt if that is the same as the one Pete received by eMail

MichaelG.

Edit: ^^^ posted before I saw Pete's response.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 11/07/2018 11:17:21

JasonB
                            @jasonb

This is most likely what was in Pete's e-mail as it does not show all options in the hope you will spend a little more rather than this which gives you the 3 options

Neil Wyatt
                              @neilwyatt

I think this is an error, as you should get offered either to renew your existing package or choose from a selection.

I have let the subscriptions manager know.

Neil

not done it yet
                              Participant
                                @notdoneityet

So is it a scam? Seems like this third party mob are working at a take from both ends. Seems like it, to me.

Neil Wyatt
                                  @neilwyatt

Definitely not a scam, just a poor choice of 'landing page' for renewals which I have asked to be looked at.

Neil

Bazyle
                                  Participant
                                    @bazyle

I just have a direct debit for each mag so no emails of this type. The only 'problem' was about the end of each subscription period when I got worried it might not work and I'd miss an issue. I hope this hasn't meant I've been unknowingly subscribed to a feature I didn't want.

Since the subject of proactive marketing was raised do beware of website hosting companies. The one our club uses sneaked in an upgrade along with reducing the 1 year sub to 6 months and talk of a special offer. So the increase wasn't noticed and the more expensive version was made the standard. Then a year later they tried it again.

doubletop
                                    Participant
                                      @doubletop

Bazyle

I steer clear of direct debit, not because I'm concerned about continuity, they are likely to charge you well before the renewal date. I am concerned about unnotified price hikes or, if notifications do occur, my complacency in checking them and doing something about it.

What I did like was the ability to pay for 3 years at a fixed and reduced rate. That option seems to have disappeared. Maybe as it removes the opportunity for 'proactive marketing'

Neil's on the case again so I'm sure it will be sorted. In the meantime, I’ll use the link at the top of this page.

Thanks Neil

Pete

Neil Wyatt
                                        @neilwyatt

It seems something appears to have gone wrong, Pete I've sent you a PM.

Neil

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)