Stuart Twin Victoria (Princess Royal) Mill Engine

Advert

Stuart Twin Victoria (Princess Royal) Mill Engine

Home Forums Work In Progress and completed items Stuart Twin Victoria (Princess Royal) Mill Engine

Viewing 6 posts - 1,201 through 1,206 (of 1,206 total)
  • Author
    JasonB
      @jasonb

Seems like a 3D printed ring that is shaped to fit around the handwheel hub/spokes and with graduations around it would be the way to go, what is the pitch of the screw?

Advert
      Weary
      Participant
        @weary

Re: Tailstock DRO.

If you don’t want to make your own, nor create a suitable handwheel maybe have a look at ebay item No. 354373217838 ?

I have a similar item (different lathe) and have found it useful.  It needs no ‘fixings’ and can be easily removed when not required.

Phil.

Dr_GMJN
        Participant
          @dr_gmjn

Thanks Phil, mines’s an ML7, so that wouldn’t fit. Looks as neat as it’s probably going to get, but not sure I’d trust magnets to hold it.

I might end up with something similar, but D&T a couple of holes to secure the fixed collar.

Dr_GMJN
          Participant
            @dr_gmjn

A quick measurement seems to indicate the pitch is 1/8”.

JasonB
              @jasonb

I suppose a 125 division scale would have to do. Mine is 10tpi so an easier to keep track of 100 divisions. Also got crisp 1mm divs on the barrel which are Ok for drilling when accuracy is not quite so critical.

Martin Connelly
              Participant
                @martinconnelly55370

So far I have not had to do better than set the barrel to a clear extension point on the scale then lock the tailstock in the start position (my tailstock has a window and a clear line for the scale to match up to and a 1/8″ pitch) and then estimate the tailstock handle in 1/8 rotations from the starting point which is horizontal. This is close to the nearest 1/64″ in depth. So, for example, 1 full rotation plus 1/8 rotation would give me 9/64″.

If I need better I can use a set point on the tailstock scale as the target depth, set the tailstock up to the start point on the part you are working on, wind the barrel in a bit then use an indicator to move the tailstock towards the part by the required depth then lock it in position. Then when you wind the barrel out to the set point on the barrel scale you are at the correct depth. Note that often this requires a small start on the machining of the part to be able to set the start point correctly.

Martin C

Viewing 6 posts - 1,201 through 1,206 (of 1,206 total)