Steam paddle steamer

Advert

Steam paddle steamer

Home Forums Model Boats Steam paddle steamer

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Dalboy
    Participant
      @dalboy

I just sat and watched this video and found it most interesting. The condition of the engine is fantastic and the crew seem to very proud of it.

Advert
      Dalboy
      Participant
        @dalboy
        noel shelley
        Participant
          @noelshelley55608

A beautiful vessel indeed ! Check out paddle steamer Monarch, the worlds smallest commercial paddler at about 42' long. Sadly laid up on the river Frome in Dorset at the moment and for sale. Noel.

duncan webster 1
          Participant
            @duncanwebster1

If you get chance have a trip on Waverley, there is a viewing area actually in the engine room. For an old shop it's fast we overtook several more modern ships.

Edited By duncan webster on 18/05/2023 22:38:13

Mr C
            Participant
              @mrc89691

Monarch was sold 18 months ago. It has been out of the water for over 2 years being sold after boiler failure prevented it being put back in. The condition of Monarch after two years exposed to the elements without being covered is not great. What ever plans the new owners have for her have obviously been delayed. Monarch may be moved to pastures new shortly.

noel shelley
              Participant
                @noelshelley55608

There was talk of Monarch going to Ireland but this I believe fell through ? So sad, she was a delightful little ship. And all for the want of a boiler ? Noel.

Dave Halford
                Participant
                  @davehalford22513

Not a paddler, but anyone remember the Queen of the Broads from the 60's, Gt Yarmouth to Oulton Broad run.

SillyOldDuffer
                    @sillyoldduffer
                    Posted by noel shelley on 19/05/2023 10:32:06:

… And all for the want of a boiler ? Noel.

I often think the boiler is the most difficult part of a steam engine. In comparison the engine itself is relatively straightforward.

A large dangerous pressure vessel, full of tubes, prone to corrode and fill with mud, lots of joints to leak, access for cleaning and inspection needed, plus many gauges and external pipework, and a white-hot firebox.

Marine boilers are more difficult than locomotive boilers too. They usually work at higher pressure and with much more attention to fuel economy. Likely the furnace is blown, directly or by pressuring the whole engine room.

Having to replacing a marine boiler probably means its condenser is done as well, another expensive item. And then fitting new boilers often requires cutting large holes in the ship so they can be dropped in with a crane. Many other potential complications, such as an older vessel full of asbestos insulation, or the structure under the boiler is corroded. Generally a new maritime boiler means a full-refit, or close to it. £M

Dave

Thor 🇳🇴
                    Participant
                      @thor

Skibladner

Here is another old paddle steamer

Thor

Edited By Thor 🇳🇴 on 19/05/2023 14:16:29

bernard towers
                      Participant
                        @bernardtowers37738

Dave, and at one time I could see it from my bedroom window as it made its way through Thorpe narrows on th way to Norwich !

noel shelley
                        Participant
                          @noelshelley55608

YES , Dave H. Norwich Belle, and I worked as engineer on both the Golden Galleon and Eastern Princess in the 60s. MV Probe on her last trip, she laid as a hulk by lake Lothing bridge Lowestof for many years.. Lady Briget was the last one in the 60s. Then there are the LARC XVs at Hunstanton. Noel.

Edited By noel shelley on 19/05/2023 16:56:17

John Olsen
                          Participant
                            @johnolsen79199

You guys might also like this video, which shows a selection of steam boats and ships from around the world. It includes the above mentioned Monarch and Waverly, although it somehow manages to miss out my own "Dancer:.

v=RH0LwfyruLE >**LINK**

regards

John

Mr C
                            Participant
                              @mrc89691

Repairs to the boiler of monarch ( a tube had failed)were being considered before the purchase by the new owners who iirc were thinking of converting it to electric. Monarch was originally out of the water for repairs to the engine. The cylinder liner had come loose.

JohnF
                              Participant
                                @johnf59703

I recall as very small boy about 4 years old touring the Kyle's of Bute with my parents and using the paddle steamer ferry's, there seemed to be many of them and I was fascinated with the engine rooms — access in those days was part of the journey, no restrictions.

Also worth a look is the Steam Yacht Gondola on Coniston see here https://www.visitlakedistrict.com/things-to-do/steam-yacht-gondola-p1211101

Happy memories !

John

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)