Steam Engine Governors

Advert

Steam Engine Governors

Home Forums Traction engines Steam Engine Governors

Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Thanks for the link. That looks like an interesting book, but not cheap. Next time I'm in Cambridge I'll have a ferret in the CUP bookshop and see if I can look at a copy before deciding to purchase.

Andrew

Advert
      Martin Johnson 1
      Participant
        @martinjohnson1

Here is a sketch of how I worked a caged governor valve into my 4" Burrell SCC model. I don't have my original drawings, so have had to re-work this from scraps and memory. I can e-mail a .dxf file which will be easier to read – p.m. me with current e-mail address. The 3/8" cross drillings can have the ends plugged, but the valve chest cover gasket will do the job anyway.

I did find a sketch showing I thought about a valve with 45 deg. seats and slightly different seat diameters – but I obviously copped out of trying to make it seal! However, see my comments in an earlier post about this design not sealing sufficiently well either!

I hope it is reasonably clear.

Martin

burrell governor.jpg

Anonymous

Thanks Martin, I really appreciate you taking the time and trouble to put this together. It's a neat and simple solution. I now need to look harder at the cylinder block versus the drawings to see what space I have, as there appear to be some oddities. One example is top of the HP steam chest to top of the cylinder block. On the drawings this is shown as 1-15/32", but on the casting there is nearly 2". That seems a lot of metal to remove, and it seems strange that the casting is much bigger than it need be? If I make the dimension bigger than drawing that should give me a lot more metal to play with around the bottom of the regulator valve.

Andrew

Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)