Spare Wheel – Car

Advert

Spare Wheel – Car

Home Forums The Tea Room Spare Wheel – Car

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Robert Atkinson 2
    Participant
      @robertatkinson2
      On Paul Lousick Said:

“the mix refers to cross ply and radials on the same axle”   Where can you buy cross ply tyres now days ? Cross-plies were largely replaced by radials in the 1960s and 1970s,

There are lots of information that states that you should avoid mixing different tyre brands and different tread patterns. There are rare exceptions for approved mixed-tyre fittings, but in general, manufacturers do not recommend tyre mixing at all.

I did comment on the rareity of cross ply tyres. I also said mixing makes / tread patterns is not recommended but is not directly illegal (in UK) and referenced the legislation. Did you read the whole post?

I understand that in Germany it is illegal to have even different amounts of wear on the same axle so a non repairable puncture on a part worn set can mean two tyres.
      I don’t know the full details such as how much difference or if it only applies to high performance cars.

Advert
      Speedy Builder5
      Participant
        @speedybuilder5

Same here in France Robert – technically you can’t buy a spare tyre!

Speedy Builder5
        Participant
          @speedybuilder5

I believe that all wheels since 2012 have pressure sensing valves (except the spare wheel !).  I wonder what the puncture “gloop” does to the sensor?

TPMS_front_side

Michael Gilligan
          Participant
            @michaelgilligan61133

At this rate the whole vehicle will soon become one throwaway unit, like televisions and such.

Bringing Eco jobs for the dismantlers of course. 🙂

MichaelG.

Robert Atkinson 2
            Participant
              @robertatkinson2
              On Speedy Builder5 Said:

I believe that all wheels since 2012 have pressure sensing valves (except the spare wheel !).  I wonder what the puncture “gloop” does to the sensor?

TPMS_front_side

Not quite. They have to have tyre pressure monitioring. While pressure sensors are the most accurate some cars use the difference in speed as sensed by the ABS system. Low pressure = smaller rolling diameter and higher RPM.
              Goop messes up the pressure sensors.

Robert.

Nick Wheeler
              Participant
                @nickwheeler
                On Michael Gilligan Said:

At this rate the whole vehicle will soon become one throwaway unit, like televisions and such.

Bringing Eco jobs for the dismantlers of course. 🙂

Just look at the cost of ordinary maintenance on common cars and you’ll realise they became throwaways some time ago. Jobs like wet timing belt replacements, new clutches, or the enormous cost of easily damaged LED lamp units.

Vic
                Participant
                  @vic
                  On duncan webster 1 Said:

If you use the gloop then getting the puncture fixed costs an arm and a leg as they have to clean it all off, and how do they find where it was leaking. Even getting a new tyre they have to clean it, at least that’s what they told my sister in law.

Yes, I’ve heard that tyre fitters aren’t fond of the stuff. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they charge more due to the extra time taken.

David George 1
                  Participant
                    @davidgeorge1

I had a VW passat AUTO and it had five matching alloy Mag wheels and they all had Continental ContiSeal tyres. These have a self seal coating against punctures .It also had pressure check on the wheels. There was also a space to hold the full wheel in the trunk.

David

Mark Rand
                    Participant
                      @markrand96270

It’s not just cars. In the late ’80s, when being a bit impecunious (new kids) and being between second hand cars, I tried riding a pushbike to work. After a couple of months I gave up due to the expense. I was getting a puncture a week due to swarf on the works roads…

Hopper
                      Participant
                        @hopper
                        On Nick Wheeler Said:
                        On pgk pgk Said:

I wonder how many people got wiped off the side of their cars on motorways while changing tyres?

Motorways are very dangerous places to be when you’re stationary. You have to consider the risk of changing the wheel compared to waiting an unknown amount of time for a truck to move the car. Personally, I’d change the wheel on my car because I know the spare and the necessary tools are in good condition and I can be gone very quickly.

We shouldn’t have to mention just how stupid waiting in the car is, but there are lots of people who do just that.

Professionally, our policy was to load the car and look at it in a safe place.

Not just on motorways but on country roads too these days. My 14 year old car has a good full sized spare and I keep a bit of pipe in the boot to help undo wheel nuts that have been hammered up with a “windy gun”. But I have also bought a set of those triangle reflector stands to set up behind the  car while I am changing a tyre, if I ever need too.  Two for further back down the road and one for well outboard of the car so it gets hit long before I might. But over the years I have found the best guard against flat tyres — on two or four wheels — is dont run the tyres down to the last bit of tread depth. It seems in my experience, most flat tyres happen on old worn tyres. (But not always, had a tek screw go through a brand new $300 tyre on the motorbike one time, and of course ripped it beyond repairable!). n

Nick Wheeler
                        Participant
                          @nickwheeler

How far away from the car do you place an emergency triangle? It’s all too common to spot them virtually touching the bumper, instead of the recommended 45metre minimum. Other things to consider are to park the car at an angle which makes it more obviously stationary, and to leave the front wheels turned so the car won’t get pushed out into the traffic if it is hit. That also applies when stopped to cross on coming traffic.

The basic 1/2″ windy gun favoured by fast-fit places get a bad rap, as they’re not actually that powerful. A good heave with a 600mm breaker bar is going to tighten a wheelnut much more. I consider a tight fitting alloy wheel that’s corroded onto the hub to be a much bigger problem.

Neil Wyatt
                            @neilwyatt

I think folks are missing the point…

Steel ‘space saver’ wheels are cheaper to manufacture than alloy wheels and the tyres are usually skinnier and cheaper.

Nothing to do with the driver’s convenience, everything to do with the makers saving a few bob…

Neil

duncan webster 1
                            Participant
                              @duncanwebster1

Slight digression, my car is now 11 years old and coming up for new front tyres (front wheel drive). The rear tyres are original. Should I put them on the front to wear them out and new ones on the back? I’m sure there must be some effect of age. In days of old we were advised to swap tyres around (including the spare) to even out wear, I never did because then you had to buy 5 in quick succession

Nick Wheeler
                              Participant
                                @nickwheeler

If the rears are also 11 years old, then they are well past their best even if there’s plenty of tread left. Swapping them to the front after so long can cause all sorts of odd wear and balance issues. So fit a pair to the front and replace the rears when you notice any further degradation(which tends to be subtle and easy to adjust to), but it’s better to replace them all. Yes, I know it’s easy to spend somebody else’s money!

peak4
                                Participant
                                  @peak4
                                  On duncan webster 1 Said:

Slight digression, my car is now 11 years old and coming up for new front tyres (front wheel drive). The rear tyres are original. Should I put them on the front to wear them out and new ones on the back? I’m sure there must be some effect of age. In days of old we were advised to swap tyres around (including the spare) to even out wear, I never did because then you had to buy 5 in quick succession

That was exactly the advice I received from our local tyre emporium when I took Jane’s original Mk1 Ka in for a new pair of front tyres; those rears were well over 10 years old.
                                  They were aware the car is only used for pottering round and the odd 30 mile trip, otherwise the advice may have been different.
                                  We then wore the very old ones out and have now fitted a new pair to the front a few months later.

Bill

V8Eng
                                  Participant
                                    @v8eng

Plenty of advice about tyres from the AA here:-

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/safety/tyre-life-and-age

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)