Some model engineering in sunny South Africa

Advert

Some model engineering in sunny South Africa

Home Forums Model engineering club news Some model engineering in sunny South Africa

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Luker
    Participant
      @luker

Hi Gentlemen. I took the following video (yesterday) at the RSME, and thought you might like to see what we get up to in South Africa.

Advert
      Luker
      Participant
        @luker
        Nigel Bennett
        Participant
          @nigelbennett69913

Excellent! Are you much bothered by "leaves on the line" at that time of year?

I was intrigued by the track itself – is it just steel bar on edge let into a concrete base?

Luker
          Participant
            @luker
            Posted by Nigel Bennett on 07/11/2022 08:42:14:

Excellent! Are you much bothered by "leaves on the line" at that time of year?

I was intrigued by the track itself – is it just steel bar on edge let into a concrete base?

Hi Nigel, we have a section of oak trees that can completely cover the rails with leaves and acorns during autumn. The track gets blown (and certain sections swept) before a running day starts to make sure the members have a good time and the loco’s don’t get damaged (the youngsters job, but only takes a few minutes). Having said that, even my smallest loco will go over leaves or sticks within reason.

I speak under correction but as far as I know our tracks are 10x20mm square bar with the same welded to the bottom of the tracks for spacing and to key into the cement. Unfortunately theft is a major issue so they need to be fixed properly in the cement. The locally produced square bar comes from the mill with rounded edges which is beneficial.

Unfortunately the video didn’t come out quite like I wanted it. I tried to film the loop for our Facebook page to show the public what the grounds look like but the field of view wasn’t right and my loco was way too small. Next time I’ll take one of my larger loco’s and try get the wide angle shot with the loco in frame.

Luker
            Participant
              @luker

I took a few videos for our Facebook page yesterday. But there's always time for a little fun and games…

Grindstone Cowboy
              Participant
                @grindstonecowboy

A bit of a chuckle on a cold, wet morning Thanks.

Rob

Luker
                Participant
                  @luker

Hi Gentlemen, took the following video (and telemetry) of our long track at the RSME this past Sunday.

Ady1
                  Participant
                    @ady1

A lot more fun than scraping the ice off the car at 9am

Luker
                    Participant
                      @luker
                      Posted by Ady1 on 29/11/2022 09:43:20:

A lot more fun than scraping the ice off the car at 9am

One of the benefits of being in Africa, winter and summer are the same just the grass colour changes laugh

Howard Lewis
                      Participant
                        @howardlewis46836

Marvellous! Thank You for showing us.

Having lost our track (and a lot of members) over ten years ago, have to admit to being envious., of the length and the superb countryside through which you pass!

Howard

Luker
                        Participant
                          @luker

A short walk-though of our club museum…

Oldiron
                          Participant
                            @oldiron

Great track & some loverly scenery. Thanks for sharing. Subscribed to your YT channel.

regards

not done it yet
                            Participant
                              @notdoneityet

It’s sunny here, just now, but not at all hot – or even warm! Roll on spring-time! Only 2h of sunshine at the most before it gets dark. Like your vids.

Luker
                              Participant
                                @luker

Your weather sounds a little rough! When the temperatures drop to below 20DegC its considered cold and the padded jackets come out!

Thanks for the kind words on the videos. The channel was actually set up for two reasons; first marketing for the RSME with the target demographic mostly ladies with younger children i.e. showing the grounds and the attractions for the family as well as promoting the fact that we ‘display engineering’ to any youngsters that are interested in an engineering career.

The second reason was to post technical videos for the youngsters in our builders group (a social media platform).

The video’s with the youngsters are a lot of fun and specifically posted on the Facebook page to market the youth group and encourage other youngsters to join (and see if they like it).

Luker
                                Participant
                                  @luker

I took a few more video's at the RSME today… First one was of Mike starting one of our large stationary engines…

Luker
                                  Participant
                                    @luker

And a video after the flooding we had a little over a week ago. The guys have done an amazing job at the RSME!

Luker
                                    Participant
                                      @luker

A short video of one of the young engineers at the RSME assembling a steam oiler clack valve he made himself for the club loco. This was some of the maintenance done during December 2022. The beginning gambit is indicative of the times we living in, and will probably be more appreciated by the locals!

Oldiron
                                      Participant
                                        @oldiron

Looks like a nice active club. Pity the cameraman stands in the way. smiley

regards

Grindstone Cowboy
                                        Participant
                                          @grindstonecowboy

Ag, the loadshedding!

Rob

Luker
                                          Participant
                                            @luker
                                            Posted by Oldiron on 12/01/2023 12:45:35:

Looks like a nice active club. Pity the cameraman stands in the way. smiley

regards

It takes great skill for the cameraman to be in the shot and participate wink

Yep we have a fantastic club, and the guys have been great with making these videos for our Facebook page.

Luker
                                            Participant
                                              @luker

Hi Gentlemen, I've got some sad news from the RSME. We've been battling with theft recently and it's gotten to a point where engines have been seriously damaged. The windows have been welded shut and an alarm system installed. I also did a video to try and get the community involved, or at the very least let them know what they are loosing (added the video below). Other than that, not sure what else we can do?

vintage engineer
                                              Participant
                                                @vintageengineer

Minus 14c here in the Highlands last night. Time to get our winter coats on.laugh

Posted by Luker on 14/12/2022 15:59:33:

Your weather sounds a little rough! When the temperatures drop to below 20DegC its considered cold and the padded jackets come out!

Thanks for the kind words on the videos. The channel was actually set up for two reasons; first marketing for the RSME with the target demographic mostly ladies with younger children i.e. showing the grounds and the attractions for the family as well as promoting the fact that we ‘display engineering’ to any youngsters that are interested in an engineering career.

The second reason was to post technical videos for the youngsters in our builders group (a social media platform).

The video’s with the youngsters are a lot of fun and specifically posted on the Facebook page to market the youth group and encourage other youngsters to join (and see if they like it).

Hopper
                                                Participant
                                                  @hopper

Very sad about the thefts. Irreparable damage to pieces of history. Seems a big problem in SA. I have read reports that the railways were in danger of shutting down due to such widespread theft of overhead cables, and in one case a whole six miles of the actual tracks. Sounds pretty desperate.

Luker
                                                  Participant
                                                    @luker
                                                    Posted by Hopper on 08/03/2023 22:18:35:

Very sad about the thefts. Irreparable damage to pieces of history. Seems a big problem in SA. I have read reports that the railways were in danger of shutting down due to such widespread theft of overhead cables, and in one case a whole six miles of the actual tracks. Sounds pretty desperate.

Yep, we have a big problem, and I think you probably only hear a fraction of what's happening. I wouldn't want to burden you guys with our problems, that's just not fair and it’s not why I started this thread! Once we get a hold of the situation I might reach out to you guys for help on fixing what was damaged, specifically drawings and technical info. I know there are a few forum members with access to museum archives, and this forum is always willing to help!

-14DegC…. No words!

JasonB
                                                      @jasonb

If you go to a few of the stationary engine FB groups you should get the info and just about anything can be remade if funds and labour are available though the original is always preferable.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)