solvent for tyre valve

Advert

solvent for tyre valve

Home Forums Locomotives solvent for tyre valve

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    duncan webster 1
    Participant
      @duncanwebster1

I want to make an adaptor to connect my car tyre foot pump to a boiler for setting the safety valves, checking for leaks etc. Don't worry, the boiler has been 2* pressure tested with water and a cert issued. The simple way seems to be to use a car tyre valve (the whole thing) connected to a pipe union which I can connect instead of the whistle valve. I've carved the rubber away from the brass bit, but getting the residue off is proving difficult. Anyone know what this rubber will dissolve in?

Advert
      duncan webster 1
      Participant
        @duncanwebster1
        Clive Foster
        Participant
          @clivefoster55965

Duncan

The one time I did this, probably pushing 40 years ago, I resorted to a relatively fine wire wheel fitted to a bench grinder having tried a number of solvents with little success. I made an internally threaded holder to screw the valve body in so the valve body could be handled safely.

Odds are it was second or third time lucky due to needing to develop the technique to avoid either breaking the body or launching it into the far corners of the workshop.

20-20 hindsight suggests I would have been better off using the valve body off a motorcycle, or bicycle, inner tube. In that era at least these were threaded all the way down so could simply be cut off at the end of the thread. I imagine I didn't have an old motorcycle tube to steal one from. There is probably still a cut off one in the "handy stash" now waiting for next time!

Clive

Edited By Clive Foster on 29/04/2023 13:52:37

Simon Williams 3
          Participant
            @simonwilliams3

If you go and chat up a friendly commercial tyre fitter, the valve extender they use to bring the inner valve on dual wheels out to the side where the driver can reach to check/inflate would be a good place to start.

It's a male thread with the schrader valve in one end, the other end is a corresponding female thread. There's a bit up the middle to depress the tyre valve stem. I've got a couple here made from brass, I'm sure a suitable adaptor could be made with a bit of soft soldering.

I've had some schrader to 1/8 BSP fittings in the past, I've just been to the shed to see if they are where I thought they were. No such luck. But if you're stuck leave a message here and I'll have another rummage.

HTH Simon

DC31k
            Participant
              @dc31k
              Posted by duncan webster on 29/04/2023 13:18:51:

I've carved the rubber away from the brass bit, but getting the residue off is proving difficult.

Fire. Burn it off.

Chuck it up in the lathe and turn or sand it off.

Search for 1/8 BSP schraeder valve.

Tractor tyre valves are all metal.

Screw on valve extensions are all metal. You can research the thread you would need to cut to attach them.

https://www.gewinde-normen.de/en/valve-thread.html

Edited By DC31k on 29/04/2023 14:18:28

not done it yet
              Participant
                @notdoneityet

Duncan,

I think you are over-complicating this? Use a valve stem with threads and fix it into a fitting, with a couple of nuts and washers, that can (eventually) be reduced to fit your boiler. A bicycle high pressure valve might be a better starting point?

duncan webster 1
                Participant
                  @duncanwebster1
                  Posted by not done it yet on 29/04/2023 14:57:31:

Duncan,

…….. A bicycle high pressure valve might be a better starting point?

Good thinking, off to local bike shop after bank holiday, there might even be an ole inner tube in the shed.. I'll post a picture when it's done

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)