Slitting Saws?

Advert

Slitting Saws?

Home Forums Workshop Tools and Tooling Slitting Saws?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bo’sun
    Participant
      @bosun58570

Good afternoon All,

A question for you knowledgeable folk.  I have a 2mm x 100mm x 130T slitting saw, purchased from an established supplier.

How much peripheral runout is considered acceptable?

I’ve checked it using a dial indicator with an “elephants foot” stylus and measured 0.55mm (TIR) runout.  This was replaced by another, (that I asked to be checked before despatch).  Using the same method, the replacement saw measured 0.35mm (TIR).

The slitting saw was mounted on a stub arbor with 0.03mm runout at the slitting saw position.

I welcome comments on my method of measurement.  I wasn’t sure how else to do it.

Advert
      JA
      Participant
        @ja

This subject has been discussed at great length twice this year.

Simply, eccentric running of slitting saws is the norm.

It would be nice if someone would gather the postings together, write something and send it to the ME. You may even get some money!

JA (being a bit of a killjoy)

Bazyle
        Participant
          @bazyle

That sounds terrible, 20 thou on a 4 in cutter. I would be looking for a thou or less on a new one. Must mearsure some of mine. When I hear it obviously not true I assume it is my arbor, collet, spindle.

JasonB
            @jasonb

Although your arbor is 0.03 what is the fit of the saw like on the arbor? any slack

Bo’sun
            Participant
              @bosun58570

Hello Jason,

The saws appear (to me) to fit the arbor just fine.  No discernible slack, and quite close to slide on.

Baz
              Participant
                @baz89810

If it were mine I would be sending it back and asking for a refund.

Clive Brown 1
                Participant
                  @clivebrown1

With the radial runouts mentioned by the OP, only a few teeth will ever do any cutting.

Bo’sun
                  Participant
                    @bosun58570

That’s correct Clive.  Initially looking at it by eye, it did appear to be running out somewhat.  So I tried a cut, and yes, it was by the sound of it, only cutting on a few teeth per revolution.

Why on earth did I pay for the other hundred or so teeth?

JasonB
                      @jasonb

Thay may come in useful once you have worn the first few down😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)