Silver Solder Storage

Advert

Silver Solder Storage

Home Forums Workshop Tools and Tooling Silver Solder Storage

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Speedy Builder5
    Participant
      @speedybuilder5

Handy storage for sticks of silver solder. Cut some plastic rigid tube (Electrical conduit etc). Glue a cork in one end of the tube and and shape a removable cork for the other end. Affix the suppliers label to the tube showing temperature range etc. Have a tube for each different type.

silver solder 2.jpg

Advert
      Speedy Builder5
      Participant
        @speedybuilder5
        peak4
        Participant
          @peak4

I do the same with the larger size conduit for my MT reamers, test bars etc.

Also works for avoiding chips on larger carbide milling cutters

I use ex- port or whisky corks for the open ends open Morse tapers on lathe, milling machine, rotary table etc.

Bill

Thor 🇳🇴
          Participant
            @thor

Good idea, I don't store my silver solder that way as they comes in boxes like this:

silversolderbox_01s.jpg

Thor

Pero
            Participant
              @pero

I use the conduit system but use a glued conduit end cap at one end for greater security. It is a pain if an unglued end cap ( or cork ) pops off and the whole lot ends up on the floor.

As conduits are available in a wide range of sizes ( for electricity, telecommunications, water and drainage ) and can be cut to any desired length they can be used to store a wide range of materials.

Also, if you glue a cap to each end and then cut the tube in half lengthways they can also be used for open storage (in a suitable rack ) for smaller material such as threaded rod and small section tubing. I have seen this idea described before but I am not quite sure when and where.

Pero

AdrianR
              Participant
                @adrianr18614

What a good idea, I have been wondering what to do with my Whisky bottle stoppers, I will have to empty a few bottles to test the idea devil

John Purdy
                Participant
                  @johnpurdy78347

I use a similar idea for storage of my gas welding rods, except I have used 1" PVC plumbing pipe with a cap glued on one end, All labled with the type of rod.

John

img_6753.jpg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)