Sharpening Fine tooth slitting Saws

Advert

Sharpening Fine tooth slitting Saws

Home Forums Workshop Tools and Tooling Sharpening Fine tooth slitting Saws

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    WorkshopPete
    Participant
      @workshoppete

Buying CBN grinding wheels

Advert
      WorkshopPete
      Participant
        @workshoppete

Does anyone know where you can but a CBN grinding wheel to sharpen fine tooth slitting saws ideally 5 or 6 inches dia. I am thinking of a saucer/dish wheel with material on both the face and angled back side so a plunge grind would shape both the tooth face and the back of the next tooth.

thanks

Peter

ega
        Participant
          @ega

Good question. I would like to know, too.

In the meantime, ARC do diamond wheels that, suitably applied, might do your job.

Edited By ega on 18/05/2020 08:08:49

David George 1
          Participant
            @davidgeorge1

Hi Peter why has the wheel have to be CBN as I would use a white aloxite wheel for that readily available from most grinding wheel supliers.

David

ega
            Participant
              @ega
              Posted by David George 1 on 18/05/2020 08:13:58:

Hi Peter why has the wheel have to be CBN as I would use a white aloxite wheel for that readily available from most grinding wheel supliers.

David

Perhaps because by the time you are part way round the saw the white wheel will need to be dressed?

WorkshopPete
              Participant
                @workshoppete

Thanks ega

The problem with Diamond is its not good for grinding HSS where as CBN is ideal and unlike conventional grinding wheels maintains its shape. Someone must do it the professional cutter sharpening companies can do it so there must be something out there but where. I must have at least a dozen cutters that are all in need of treatment accumulated over years in our hobby.

Another thing does anyone know why the hole on a slitting saw is slightly eccentric? they all seem to be this way and its not the arbor.

Peter

John C
                Participant
                  @johnc47954

Hi Pete, This thread may help solve your problem:

**LINK**

John

Michael Gilligan
                  Participant
                    @michaelgilligan61133
                    Posted by WorkshopPete on 18/05/2020 08:19:40:

[…]

Another thing does anyone know why the hole on a slitting saw is slightly eccentric? they all seem to be this way and its not the arbor.

Peter

Poor quality assurance

… They are not meant to be that way.

MichaelG.

Ref: https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=142966

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 18/05/2020 09:00:03

WorkshopPete
                    Participant
                      @workshoppete

Thanks John

That is very interesting I have always thought Diamond for carbide and CBN for HSS. The one problem I have found with diamond dish wheels is the only one surface is coated normally the flat face where for my application I would like the angled face also to be coated.

Peter

John Baron
                      Participant
                        @johnbaron31275

Hi Guys,

The eccentricity is caused by the wear on the grinding wheel as it is moved in and out of each tooth as it goes around the blade. It also gets worse as the blade is resharpened.

JasonB
                          @jasonb

Could one of the wheels of ARC;s EMG end mill sharpener be put to use, available in CBN

7.jpg

WorkshopPete
                          Participant
                            @workshoppete

Thanks Jason

Yes but it would work well although a bit expensive since most of the coated surface would not be used only small angled portion.

Peter

John Hinkley
                            Participant
                              @johnhinkley26699

Stefan Gotteswinter has done a YouTube video on sharpening saw blades which is worth watching:

Slitting saw sharpening.

In the latter half he refers to a CBN grinding wheel for gashing the gullet (sounds like a euphemism, but isn't). I haven't watched it for a while, but if he doesn't give details, you could drop him an email to enquire where he got his.

John

P.S.  His method should also alleviate the egg-shaped blade syndrome, too.

Edited By John Hinkley on 18/05/2020 10:32:13

John Haine
                              Participant
                                @johnhaine32865

Could you conceivably sharpen a saw with one of those small diamond-coated needle files? Fiddly but probably quicker than finding a suitable wheel and setting it up.

roy entwistle
                                Participant
                                  @royentwistle24699

John Joiners used to sharpen and set wood saws by hand so I think a diamond needle file would do at a pinch

Clive Hartland
                                  Participant
                                    @clivehartland94829

I do mine with a needle file, I first dress off all the teeth so they are the same hieght and then using a saw set, work each tooth, one left, and the next right. Then I start filing observing the cut so both edges work on each tooth.

Baz
                                    Participant
                                      @baz89810

Don’t really see why you cannot use diamond on HSS. I know the reasons why you should not, I worked in R&D for a Diamond tool company for many years, but for the amount we are doing compared to industry, does it really matter?

Martin Connelly
                                      Participant
                                        @martinconnelly55370

You want something like this, don't know how much or where to get one.

img_20200518_113653.jpg

Martin C

John Rutzen
                                        Participant
                                          @johnrutzen76569

I have a question about slitting saws. I have several from different sources over the years and have never had one that cut evenly. They all seem to be eccentric. I've used them on different arbors and in different machines but it doesn't make any difference.

speelwerk
                                          Participant
                                            @speelwerk

As far as I can see you need shape 11V9 **LINK** . Centre Abrasifs **LINK** sells them. They can be very helpfull and once made for me a small series of grinding stones for very little money but Google gives also other suppliers for that shape. Niko.

Edited By speelwerk on 18/05/2020 12:01:46

Michael Gilligan
                                            Participant
                                              @michaelgilligan61133
                                              Posted by John Rutzen on 18/05/2020 11:47:06:

I have a question about slitting saws. I have several from different sources over the years and have never had one that cut evenly. They all seem to be eccentric. I've used them on different arbors and in different machines but it doesn't make any difference.

So what’s the question, John ?

… and did my earlier post not effectively answer it ?

Sorry but I’m rather bewildered.

MichaelG.

AdrianR
                                              Participant
                                                @adrianr18614

I found 11V9 CBN wheels on ebay la-877109388934&abcId=1139126&merchantid=118974502&gclid=CjwKCAjw5Ij2BRBdEiwA0Frc9fM9qBPXTHmGhGxv6yJTxar1F0IVUi6GPPoUSGOaaUh3sD3Q4_TwyhoCPKAQAvD_BwE”>https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/174264707109?chn=ps&var=473272588092&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=473272588092_174264707109&targetid=877109388934&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9041085&campaignid=9794971188&mkgroupid=98649237823&rlsatarget=aud-629407025185la-877109388934&abcId=1139126&merchantid=118974502&gclid=CjwKCAjw5Ij2BRBdEiwA0Frc9fM9qBPXTHmGhGxv6yJTxar1F0IVUi6GPPoUSGOaaUh3sD3Q4_TwyhoCPKAQAvD_BwE

John Rutzen
                                                Participant
                                                  @johnrutzen76569

The question is why are they eccentric, even new ones? Do other people find that they run true? They are not visibly eccentric , but they don't cut evenly.

AdrianR
                                                  Participant
                                                    @adrianr18614

My saws don,t run true and ones I have seen on youTube also dont. I have always assumed it was a combination of the arbour and taper.

But to cut evenly all the way round you would need a constant feed and the saw to be totally true. The slightest variation would be noticeable.

I guess the way to know if it is the saw or arbour, is to mark which side of the saw is touching first then turn it 180 degrees. If it still touches first in the same place it is the saw, if not it is the arbour.

Adrian

SillyOldDuffer
                                                      @sillyoldduffer

Not sure I exactly agree with Michael's suggestion it's poor quality control, I suspect it's more value engineering because some teeth being a bit longer than others doesn't matter much in practice. I like the idea it's because the wheel that grinds the teeth gradually wears as it goes round the circumference so the smallest tooth ends up next to the biggest, clunk.

Martindale Saws quote a standard diameter tolerance of ±0.005" whatever the size of saw, which isn't exactly super-accurate. However, the more important thickness tolerance is ten times better at ±0.0005".

Martindale say 'Closer tolerances available at additional cost.' – Price on Application always makes me nervous – II wonder how much they are? Ordinary HSS Martindale saws aren't cheap – about $70 each.

As a challenge, anyone care to measure how far out a few typical saws are? I think being 5 thou out would explain why all mine throb as they cut.

Dave

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)