Scraping

Advert

Scraping

Home Forums Books Scraping

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ryan.carter848
    Participant
      @ryan-carter848

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hello all,</p>
      I am hoping to see if anybody is able to help me source any books on hand scraping technique of flat surfaces?

I am really looking for a copy of Michael Morgan’s hand scraping book and DVD, would really appreciate if anyone has one they are willing to sell?

Many thanks!

Ryan

Advert
      Harry Wilkes
      Participant
        @harrywilkes58467

Ryan can’t help with book but there’s a lot of guys on youtube who know there stuff Oxtools being one Stefan Gotteswinter another

H

Mark Rand
        Participant
          @markrand96270

I did have a copy of Micheal’s book and (VHS) Video and learned from them. But I sent them to a chap in South Africa a couple of decades ago. Michael seems to have faded away since then 🙁 .

There is most of the information on the interwebs and youtoobe.

Connelly’s book on Machine Tool Reconditioning is useful (at a price) for the concepts of machine tool rebuilding, but the coverage of scraping, itself, is only a few pages.

Richard King’s course on hand/power scraping was available on fleabay, but seems to have gone now. Don’t know if it was Richard or someone selling a USB copy. Original details are here.

I’m afraid, most of it is searching for what you can find and practicing. The latter being the most important for scraping itself and the former for the actual business of scraping to get something flat/aligned to other things.

Michael Gilligan
          Participant
            @michaelgilligan61133

I hesitate to mention this, because Mark has the expertise … but there are some very relevant pages in this wonderful little book [freely downloadable]

https://archive.org/details/whitworthmeasur00whitgoog

MichaelG.

DC31k
            Participant
              @dc31k

Not the one yo umention, but Wade’s monograph on hand scraping is available at the Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/details/Scraping1

Search there for other old textbooks that touch on the subject.

Some modern takes on the subject can be found at Japanese machine tool manufacturers (Okuma, Matsuura).

There is a ‘machine rebuilding’ sub-forum at Practical Machinist, where King Richard presides. Peruse that archive for other texts available.

Connelly’s book is avaialbe online as a pdf copy.

Not so much on scraping, but on the results you are trying to achieve from scraping (alignment/accuracy), the Moore Tools books are worth obtaining. Again, ‘Foundations of mechanical accuracy’ is available online as a pdf.

Another good one on the same theme is Schlesinger’s ‘Testing machine tools’, again available online as pdf.

See also:

https://circuitousroot.com/artifice/machine-shop/surface-finishing/hand-scraping/index.html

ryan.carter848
              Participant
                @ryan-carter848

Hello all,

Sorry for the delayed reply I was reading it but forgot my login 😂

I appreciate all the links to other resources, some I have and some are new so I will take a browse. I did speak to Richard King about getting his video course but he’s taken it off eBay at the minute.

Mark I’m sure your South African contact is making good use! I am on a quest to find a copy of the book and VHS so I will get there eventually!

Cheers for the leads anyway

Ryan

ega
                Participant
                  @ega

MichaelG:

I was surprised to see the poet Shelley listed as one of the authors of the Whitworth measuring book you posted about!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)