Safety

Advert

Safety

Home Forums Beginners questions Safety

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    ChrisH
    Participant
      @chrish
      OK Boss
      – but I must be doing something wrong – where are the photos of the Iraqi tanks brewing up?

ChrisH 
      Advert
      mgj
      Participant
        @mgj
        Sorry – I hadn’t done a link – I was just making an observation. You’ll have to Google it or something.

American will be air either the Warthog with its GAU8 30mm, or Apache with is baby 20mm. Brit will be tank to tank. Either war. Its just interesting to see the differences in the H&S implications for each side.

John Stevenson 1
        Participant
          @johnstevenson1
          MGJ,
          Very true, in WWII they has to radius the tail fins on the 25 pounders because of sharp edges.
          If one of these had hit some *Censored* on the ground it would have killed them.

John S.
          Keep it clean please John!

Edited By David Clark 1 on 22/11/2009 09:42:15

Ian Abbott
          Participant
            @ianabbott31222
            Hi Chris,
            Yes several people were left with substantial damage.  Entire classes succumbing to fumes in the short term, had to be moved out of rooms where the fumes were being pumped out of one studio and into the fresh air intake of some classrooms.  As you say not everyone is affected in the same way.  In the US, there were a large number of successful lawsuits against petroleum companies and educational institutions.  In Canada, (don’t know about UK regulations) a lot of people were left destitute; they can’t work at a steady job, disability payments are difficult to get, unless one is missing the odd head and they can’t contribute to pension schemes, so they don’t get a federal pension worth mentioning.
            A number of lawsuits were initiated in Canada, but none made it through the system.
            This Canadian university  made a deal with the Worker’s Compensation Board to designate all students at the university as “employees”.  Under the provincial legislation, employees cannot take legal action against an employer when covered but must claim through the provincial WCB.  
            The WCB was set up basically to prevent payments to workers if at all possible.  Managers were given bonuses for how much cash they saved by cheating injured workers.  A lot of noise started enquiries, but I doubt that it has changed.
            There is an organization in New York who advocate for safety in the arts, but it’s uphill and they can only act for people in the US.  They can be very helpful in identifying problem situations though.
            The health and safety crowd are a nuisance, usually over the top, so most people tend to not take them seriously.  If they were more sensible in their approach, then we may take notice of them.  I reckon that more people are injured because of too much safety legislation than would be with more rational approach. 

Ian 
            Richard Marks
            Participant
              @richardmarks80868

Gentlemen

Having read all of the details regarding the dangers of titanium, It occured to me that I may have inadvertently put myself in a dangerous situation! In the last year I had two titanium inserts fitted in my lower jaw to support my lower denture, this was never a problem until I read this column on safety, I know need to know from the erudite gentlemen who contribute to this site the answer to a life threatening question?
              At what speed can I eat a bacon sandwitch before my jawbone catches fire?
              Regards
              Dick
              John Stevenson 1
              Participant
                @johnstevenson1
                I am very sorry to tell you Richard but this is no lower speed limit, Continue to type your responses, learn Braille and send me the bacon sandwich [ with mushroom and brown sauce ]

John S.

PS was this clean enough for you David ?
                Geoff Theasby
                Participant
                  @geofftheasby
                  Richard,
                  I understand that titanium is often used in surgery because new bone will grow on it.

Never mind bacon sandwiches, what about hot chilli?

Regards
                  Geoff
                  Martin Cottrell
                  Participant
                    @martincottrell21329
                    Posted by Richard Marks on 22/11/2009 12:25:28:

Gentlemen

Having read all of the details regarding the dangers of titanium, It occured to me that I may have inadvertently put myself in a dangerous situation! In the last year I had two titanium inserts fitted in my lower jaw to support my lower denture, this was never a problem until I read this column on safety, I know need to know from the erudite gentlemen who contribute to this site the answer to a life threatening question?
                    At what speed can I eat a bacon sandwitch before my jawbone catches fire?
                    Regards
                    Dick

Richard,

I too am the owner of some dental titanium hardware and can report no overheating problems with bacon sandwiches, whatever speed they are consumed at. However there is one by-product that can cause a serious health problem to the unweary eater. This is in the form of minute particles of said sandwich being cast off in the eating process  known to “she who must be obeyed” as ‘crumbs’. These crumbs apparently manage to disperse themselves ‘all over the house’ in severe circumstances which incurs copious ear-bashing and a spell of punishment with the vacuum cleaner!

An in depth risk assessment lead me to the conclusion that the risk could be minimised to an acceptable level either by use of a plate to catch said crumbs or by having the sandwich delivered to the workshop where crumbs have been proven to have no detrimental side effects when mixed with a wide variety of workshop detritus.

Hope this puts your mind at rest!

Regards, Martin.
                    Circlip
                    Participant
                      @circlip
                      OH yes, VERY droll, you *Censored* s  won’t be laughing when yer jaws explode.

Regards  Ian. 

PS. sensored it meself to save you the bother David.
                      David Colwill
                      Participant
                        @davidcolwill19261

I feel that I should point out the very real danger posed by the use of titanium when used as inserts for dentistry as it specifically relates to model engineers. Extensive research has shown that when two model engineers are in talking distance of each other a great deal of hot air can be produced. This sometimes superheated gas can cause almost any material to spontaneously ignite but is especially dangerous with metals like titanium and magnesium. Further to this organic materials like the ear drum can sustain significant damage if subjected to repeated exposure symptoms include headaches, nausea and  an annoying buzzing in the ear. I have recently developed a special asbestos hat which can protect the wearer from these dangers. Please send check or postal order for £300.00 to AsbestoHat Ltd for instant protection.

mgj
                        Participant
                          @mgj

Or you buy 2 spark arrestors – that way you can be certain of catching them all, whichever way they go.

chris stephens
                          Participant
                            @chrisstephens63393
                            There is no problem with Titanium in the mouth, there is usually enough coolant to keep matters under control, despite the hot air.
                            chriStephens
                            Martin Cottrell
                            Participant
                              @martincottrell21329
                              Hi Chris,

Beer is my preferred coolant in this respect, used neat of course!!

Regards, Martin

P.S, as this is a thread on “Safety” I should point out that spirits should only be used as a coolant in this respect if suitably watered down as they are generally highly flammable in their neat state.
                              chris stephens
                              Participant
                                @chrisstephens63393

Hi Martin,

Re. you PS    That’ll be just a splash of soda, then.
                                chriStephens
                                Ian S C
                                Participant
                                  @iansc
                                  David you better watch the asbestos-asbestosis!IAN S C
                                  Allen Paddock
                                  Participant
                                    @allenpaddock42703
                                    Being new to this hobby i find what Ive read about on here quite interesting i never considered about the dangerous side of the hobby (apart from the usual and obvious things) ,i also never considered what happened when different dusts get together with some heat let alone what somebody said about brown paper ??So ime grateful for the posts on the safety side of matters,Thanks for bringing it to my attention any more tips will be gratefully accepted.Allen from Henley in Arden.
                                    Circlip
                                    Participant
                                      @circlip
                                      But don’t use the “Caustic” version of Soda!!
                                      Ian S C
                                      Participant
                                        @iansc

Thats right Circlip,washing soda is Ok in the workshop,I use it when electroliticly removing rust.Its also handy to have to neutralise acid spills.IAN S C

Edited By Ian S C on 24/11/2009 10:49:09

Bowber
                                        Participant
                                          @bowber
                                          My friend just told me that there had been a report of accident rates increasing on building sites as workers are expecting things to be safe (because of health & safety laws) so their not taking the necessery precautions.
                                          Don’t know how true it is but I can see the logic.

Steve
                                          Circlip
                                          Participant
                                            @circlip
                                            “Where there’s BLAME there’s a CLAIM”
                                            chris stephens
                                            Participant
                                              @chrisstephens63393

Hi Circlip, it’s only me,

It may be true that in this day and age that  where there is blame etc. but why should people who are the cause of the blame often looking to pass the blame onto someone else, instead of taking responsibility for their own actions. If it were not for these numpties we would not have “caution the contents of this package might be hot”, on a cup of coffee or a HOT fruit pie from MacDonald’s. Or the warning about not drying pets in a micro wave oven. Don’t forget the warning on mirrors on Yankee  vehicles that “objects may be nearer than you think” ,where do Yanks get their driving licences from, Disneyworld?
                                              The above is offered in a spirit of humour and should not be taken as a slur on any group in particular, it does not represent the views of the editor nor the publishers. Unless you are a numpty, then it applies very much to you  in particular. Now go and recite “I must not blame others for my own stupidity” fifty times before leaving your front door.
                                              chriStephens
                                              Circlip
                                              Participant
                                                @circlip
                                                Totally agree Chris (L Fire) My scrub is those that aren’t aware of any danger through ignorance. The context of that word being those that don’t realise how many bitey bits our hobby contains.

Regards  Ian.
                                                David Colwill
                                                Participant
                                                  @davidcolwill19261

Yes well I heard that an American woman tried to sue Winnebago after a serious accident. She engaged the cruise control and nipped in the back to brew up no less! How can you protect people like that?

David Colwill
                                                  Participant
                                                    @davidcolwill19261

Thought I had better check my facts on this. It turns out it was a bloke and he won $1.7 million. Ahhh no wonder they call it the land of opportunities.

chris stephens
                                                    Participant
                                                      @chrisstephens63393

Hi Guys,

Just goes to show you can’t legislate against stupidity.
                                                      Circlip, my new best friend,
                                                      You and I have the same interests in not letting idiots loose without some idea of what they are doing. We, perhaps, have differing views on the way to do it. You might say “slow down all the cars”, I might say “teach the kids their road drill”. You might say “fence of all the ponds” and I might say “teach the kids to swim”. We both have the same end in view but take different paths to get there. Of course my way is better, because even if cars went at 15 MPH without the green cross code they might still run out in front of a car. The same applies to water, learn to cope in all situations then you won’t get caught out too often by the unexpected
                                                      I hope I have not put words in your mouth, just saying there is more than one way of looking at a problem.
                                                      Keep safe
                                                      chriStephens
                                                    Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 114 total)