Rubber tyre glue

Advert

Rubber tyre glue

Home Forums Traction engines Rubber tyre glue

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jonathon MC
    Participant
      @jonathonmc86670

I want glue solud rubber tyres to a water bowser. Its about45kg full weight and to be used on the road. Grateful for advice from someone who has done this succesfully. Thanks very much

Jonathon

Advert
      JasonB
        @jasonb

Traction Engine builders tend to use marineflex these days as the previous two part primer & adhesive product is no longer made. Do make your tyre smaller dia than the wheel so it has to be stretched on as this reduces creep. Also don’t go for too soft a rubber

Jonathon MC
        Participant
          @jonathonmc86670

Thank you Jason. I was thinking of putting 1inch thick rubber on top of the rim without profiling it. Its not just laziness! I dont think cutting out that much rubber would work,might hide a couple of countersunk bolts in it.

Martin Johnson 1
          Participant
            @martinjohnson1

I use polyurethane adhesive like this:

https://www.toolstation.com/puraflex-40-pu-sealant-adhesive/p85566?gclsrc%5B0%5D=3p.ds&gclsrc%5B1%5D=ds&mkwid=s_dm&pcrid=&pkw=&pmt=e&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=_PMax_Adhesives+%26+Sealants&utm_term=4576029982151298&utm_content=Adhesives+%26+Sealants

Other brands are available.

For the rubber I used 16mm neoprene sheet which was sold for lining horse boxes.  A box of offcuts was very cheap.

The above combination has worked fine over many seasons on the front wheels of a 4″ scale Burrell.

Martin

Jonathon MC
            Participant
              @jonathonmc86670

Thank you Martin. Offcuts good idea😁

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)