Rounded off hex head screws.

Advert

Rounded off hex head screws.

Home Forums Help and Assistance! (Offered or Wanted) Rounded off hex head screws.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Speedy Builder5
    Participant
      @speedybuilder5

How about trying one of those drill extractors used for cross head screws. Use lots of pressure and not many revs. I bought some cheap ones, but the screw won !!
      BobH

Advert
      MW
      Participant
        @mw27036

Hi speedy,

Lots of good hints on here but i've lost faith in those "easy outs" bit of a misnomer!

Michael W

Howard Lewis
        Participant
          @howardlewis46836

Can only agree with the man who said that the Easyout was most misnamed tool in the shop.

SOMETIMES, if you can access the nut or parent metal into which the screw id tapped, a succesion of blows around the outside when placed on a suitable "anvil" will break any rust/corrosion.

Obviously can't be used on a casting of any size.

+1 for the left hand drill, probably a mixture of torque with a little local heating.

On larger sizes, if a hardened screw, the tipped drills used at high speed with lots of pressure will work. But you no longer see them at Shows, (i have some that need replacing. Trying to use a small masonry drill, instead, did not work, and it wrecked the masonry drill!)

Howard

Hopper
          Participant
            @hopper

Left-handed drill bits are the handiest thing I know for stuck bolts. Usually the bolt will spin loose before the drilling is finished.

With loose allen keys, you can put a little grinding paste on the allen key and in the hex hole to get a better grip. Surprising result quite often.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)