Rob Roy Build/ Rally

Advert

Rob Roy Build/ Rally

Home Forums Locomotives Rob Roy Build/ Rally

Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Phil H1
    Participant
      @philh196021

Rex, Thanks for the prompt answer. If yours has lasted 30 years, that is good enough for me. I'll skip the case hardening.

I can fix some of the parts. For example, the expansion links are gauge plate and were noticeably hard. I heated up to bright red and cooled as slowly as possible before drilling the various holes in them. They are both now harder than the other mild steel parts but I suspect less brittle than they were. I will leave them in that condition and use gunmetal or bronze for the die blocks rather then the suggested mild steel.

Hmm – not that far from a running chassis excluding the pumps.

Phil H

Advert
      Phil H1
      Participant
        @philh196021

I have a question about the Rob Roy ashpan. I bought, the stainless steel, laser cut ashpan from ME laser. The drawing has a dump pin to allow the ashpan to drop but it looks like it will be a very tight awkward fit – specially around the rear axle. So my question is really how easily the pan drops out and if I fit the boiler, can the ashpan really be slotted up into position whilst the rear axle is in place?

Thanks.

Rex Hanman
        Participant
          @rexhanman57403

The short answer is it's a pain! With the pin pulled out I have to poke and prod it with the pin to get it to drop.

That's the easy bit, getting it back in is worse. I have found the easiest way to get it back in is to lay the engine on its side on a towel. Insert the firebars and then wiggle the ash pan back in until the pin can be inserted.

I can't see an easy way to improve things. You will probably need to cut lots of holes in the side and front of the ashpan to improve the air flow.

Phil H1
          Participant
            @philh196021

Thanks Rex, sounds like fun. Ian did warn me about Rob Roy maintenance issues at the rally but I bet that most of the other engine designs are a bag of maintenance delights also.

Phil H

Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)