Richard Feynman (Surely you’re joking)

Advert

Richard Feynman (Surely you’re joking)

Home Forums Books Richard Feynman (Surely you’re joking)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    The Merry Miller
    Participant
      @themerrymiller

I've lost the link to "Surely you're joking Mr Feynman!"

Can the person who added the link or anyone else direct me to it please?

Len. P.

Advert
      The Merry Miller
      Participant
        @themerrymiller
        dcosta
        Participant
          @dcosta

Hello Len,

I'm not the person who added the link but I have one link to the e-book. Here **LINK** .
          Hope you don't mind.

Best regards
          Dias Costa

Edited By dcosta on 19/07/2013 21:34:21

keithmart
          Participant
            @keithmart
            Springbok
            Participant
              @springbok

here it is

**LINK**

regards from a old one of his kind
              Bob

The Merry Miller
              Participant
                @themerrymiller

Thanks for your help lads, much appreciated.

Len.

Andyf
                Participant
                  @andyf

Not sure whether to say thanks for the link; got interested and spent a couple of hours reading it through. Still, it was a bit too hot for anything else this pm.

There was a good program about Feynman on Radio 4 some time in the last year. He sounds a terrific guy, though they did tend to concentrate a bit too much on his eccentricities rather than his intellect .

Andy

Geoff Theasby
                  Participant
                    @geofftheasby

Andyf, how 'would' you convey intellect on the radio? Feynmen most definitely was NOT a nerd, withdrawn and introspective, he related well with his colleagues, drinking and joking, playing bongos and cracking safes and filing cabinets. It was just these eccentricities which made him a real person. Even on television, explaining a Feynman diagram isn't easy, without visuals it is nigh on impossible. It was this practical outlook on life which helped him crack the Challenger disaster.

Geoff

Andyf
                    Participant
                      @andyf

Geoff, I should have preferred the radio show to say a bit more about the contributions he made to physics and other aspects of science and technology, rather than saying "Feynman was really bright guy" and then concentrating on examples of his (sometimes eccentric) funny side.

I'm sure that if I knew nothing about Einstein and his theory of general relativity, then heard a radio show about him which went into it, I'd realise (even if it was a bit over my head) that Albert was a bit clever. Wouldn't you?

Andy

Geoff Theasby
                      Participant
                        @geofftheasby

Andy, most listeners would know little of physics, or even science and technology, maybe also the programme presenter/producer, or they risk alienating the listeners. It is difficult getting science into the media, when the programme makers are generally arty types, with no science background. I agree that more technical content is needed, but maybe we are not typical listeners.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Theasby on 20/07/2013 08:57:27

Jerry Wray
                        Participant
                          @jerrywray14030

I know this thead has been sleeping since mid-July, but I have only just found it.

I have spent a lifetime working with Chemistry, Maths and Physics experts. Many of them PhDs and some professors in their subject. All regarded by us erks as clever clogs.Mostly they can spout the theories and then back it up with practical examples, oftern on the lab. bench.

However Feynmans' knowledge was exceptional. I recall a television program about him, I think in the late 70s where he explained in fairly simple words a particular piece of work he was pursuing and made it clear and enjoyable. He went on to show the maths on the blackboard, his speed of writing was phenomenal, but he went back through it with an explanation of the steps.

When I got to work next morning several of my colleagues had watched, but none would discuss the maths (that included the mathematicians, one of whom was working on high energy physics) and they all agreed that their maths would not take them that far. I felt that most of them were disappointed about their own level of expertise.

I might add that my maths is in a different league altogether; once I get beyond simple Trig. I am totally lost. Algebra is a closed book to me.

Altogether a loss when he died.

Jerry

Stovepipe
                          Participant
                            @stovepipe

I can just about manage my two-times table, so I won't bother to read the book,

Dennis

Sub Mandrel
                            Participant
                              @submandrel

Dennis,

You don't need any maths to enjoy the book, its a light hearted biography, not a text book. Basic English helps though

Neil

jason udall
                              Participant
                                @jasonudall57142

And a passing knoledge of bongo playing
                                …..just kidding
                                ….

John Stevenson 1
                                Participant
                                  @johnstevenson1

If you are not up to degree standard on Bongo's two spoons will suffice.

Seriously a good read and the guy and subjects come over well.

Another JohnS
                                  Participant
                                    @anotherjohns

However Feynmans' knowledge was exceptional. I recall a television program about him, I think in the late 70s where he explained in fairly simple words a particular piece of work he was pursuing and made it clear and enjoyable. He went on to show the maths on the blackboard, his speed of writing was phenomenal, but he went back through it with an explanation of the steps.

Jerry – I once took his "six easy proofs" (or some title like that) on a long trip for work – thought it'd make good reading on the plane. Nope – "easy" it was not, and the interruptions in the air made concentrating difficult. Not a book to read in those circumstances!

My manager years did a post-doc down at Caltec(*), and Feynman was still there. (I believe that's the right place – California, anyway). He was held in high regard, as you can imagine.

I've still got the 6 easy proofs book – maybe when I retire, I'll pull it out, "accidently" spill some wine on it, and have to say "oh! and I was getting into it! now I'll have to bin it, too bad!"

Another JohnS

Sub Mandrel
                                    Participant
                                      @submandrel

If you want a brain-mangling, try "Godel, Escher, Bach an Eternal Golden Braid" by Douglas Hoffstader.

Neil

Edited By Stub Mandrel on 31/08/2013 11:53:31

Knurler
                                      Participant
                                        @knurler

John A S – don't bin it! I'll have it if youre struggling with it

Stub – Excellent book… persevere with it, it's worth it.

K

Sub Mandrel
                                        Participant
                                          @submandrel

> Excellent book… persevere with it, it's worth it.

I did, I've read it twice in the last thirty years… not many books that make you feel more intelligent when you have finished it, even if you didn't understand a fair chunk!

Neil

Knurler
                                          Participant
                                            @knurler

I concur, Neil

K

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)