Renewed interest in ME

Advert

Renewed interest in ME

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    robmill
    Participant
      @robmill

Hello all,

I came into model engineering in the late 1960’s and built the chassis of a 3.5” Rob Roy tank. I was rather daunted about the boiler, no experience of silver soldering plus the expense being in my late teens and a limited budget the chassis was sold for a very modest price. However this was a steep learning curve and having seen an advert in ME for castings of a 2” Burrell (MJ Engineering if I recall) compound decided to make this my next project. In the meantime I had acquired an old Victorian lathe, 6’ bed length, flat belt drive, but for £10 you couldn’t go wrong……the lathe was perfect and accurate.  Work on the Burrell went well, then it was 2 of us with largest Sievert burners soldering up the boiler…….there were issues, a number of minor leaks around the side stays, compressed air tests showed the model to work. Then with a young family, a move of house that could not accommodate the workshop in the 1980’s the Model Engineering sadly came to an end…..the Burrell was sold and a caravan bought for the children’s holidays. Now moving on……2023, have been a widower for 3 years….time to move on so the urge to return to Model Engineering became very strong so, bought a mini mill and lathe and restarted with a Stuart S50……success….wanted to go bigger……needed a bigger lathe,Warco came to the rescue so Stuart Victoria and beam engine completed and running well under steam.

Then I saw an advert for the castings of a Galloway’s Non Dead Centre engine, could not resist so this is my latest project.

I have a winter workshop with smaller lathe and milling capabilities and a summer workshop in the garage with Warco lathe and milling machines.

Please excuse the ramblings of an old man, but this is what keeps me happy, mind active and sane!!!
      Rob

Advert
      Harry Wilkes
      Participant
        @harrywilkes58467

Welcome to the forum

H

noel shelley
        Participant
          @noelshelley55608

Welcome Rob, your amongst friends. Noel.

Brian Baker 2
          Participant
            @brianbaker2

Good to have you with us Rob,

Keep turning!

Brian B

robmill
            Participant
              @robmill

Thanks for your welcomes guys…😀

Howard Lewis
              Participant
                @howardlewis46836

Welcome to the Forum.

You are obviously experienced, and will find many like minded individuals on here.

Keep in contact!

Howard

robmill
                Participant
                  @robmill

Thank you Howard

Rob

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)