Reducing collet nut play by electroplating thread?

Advert

Reducing collet nut play by electroplating thread?

Home Forums General Questions Reducing collet nut play by electroplating thread?

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Baz
    Participant
      @baz89810

Send it back to Nikken and get the job done properly, all this bodging about is only going to prolong the problem, it’s broke, parts are available so it’s a no brainer, might be different if it’s 50 years old and you have to repair it as makers have gone bust etc.

Advert
      simondavies3
      Participant
        @simondavies3
        On Adam Harris Said:

Do you think Loctite could really stop the crack opening when torquing down the nut on the collet?

Well the force appears to be in tension so as I understand these glues, the best use-case.
        As someone else said, little to lose, even if it doesn’t work, just a bit of anaerobic glue to clean up!

and considerably cheaper than a factory re-build!

Michael Gilligan
        Participant
          @michaelgilligan61133

I think this is the one, Adam:

https://datasheets.tdx.henkel.com/LOCTITE-648-en_GL.pdf

MichaelG.

Fulmen
          Participant
            @fulmen

Glue will be as efficient as chewing gum. 30MPa vs 1000-1500MPa, you do the math…

Michael Gilligan
            Participant
              @michaelgilligan61133
              On Fulmen Said:

Glue will be as efficient as chewing gum. 30MPa vs 1000-1500MPa, you do the math…

BUT … Loctite and similar anaerobic retainers do not really work as “Glue” … they are essentially ‘gap fillers’ … So,  in the mode to which I referred,  648 should do an admirable job.

If, however, you are decrying their use for glueing the edges of the crack together, then yes I agree.

MichaelG.

jimmy b
              Participant
                @jimmyb

Having dealt with cracked ER8, ER11 and ER16 spindles, plating the thread must be worth a try, but suspect the damage is now done.

Good luck with it and let us know what improvements are achieved.

Jimb

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)