RC engines of the future

Advert

RC engines of the future

Home Forums Books RC engines of the future

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    ady
    Participant
      @ady
      I’ve got an old book about model engines from the 1950s and it mentions the
      “Brauner pulse jet”

So I looked them up and well holy smoke, probably completely illegal in the UK I reckon these were the next generation of powered flight models which for obvious reasons, never happened.

Advert
      ady
      Participant
        @ady
        ady
        Participant
          @ady
          I think that those guys from the 40s and 50s would have had a ball.

Turbine jet …blink and it’s gone…
          John Baguley
          Participant
            @johnbaguley78655
            That is SCARY. Hat’s off to the guy flying it ! 366mph

John
            WALLACE
            Participant
              @wallace

As the UK was on the receiving end of a number of pulse jets in 1944, I can understand why they wouldn’t be too popular !!

Wallace.

Gordon W
              Participant
                @gordonw
                Me and a mate tried to build a pulse jet back in the 50s, we had no proper tools and less sense. The drgs. were in a magazine, can’t remember which. The petal shaped valve was cut from steel shim, the body parts brazed up by the local bike shop from pipe. Had nothing to fly, to get the required air speed, so mounted on a block of wood. Fuel tank full of parrafin and pressurised by bycicle pump, it worked ! Took of along the path, dragging the fuel tank behind and set fire to next door’s back door. Had to lie low for a while.
                Versaboss
                Participant
                  @versaboss

Nothing new under the sun…

In my youth … well … now just 50 years ago, I was control line flying as a member of our local aeromodeller’s club. Among our members was a elderly (at least that was my impression then…) gentleman who built sailplanes with piggy-backed pulse jets. These he also built himself. I admit his speeds were not quite that high, but there were also no super-duper all digital and computer controlled RC systems. I don’t remember if he had more than one channel, perhaps not. And we used to call the RC systems tip-tip controls; proportional systems came much later.

In the time between then and now I collected at least 3 or 4 plans for such a jet, but alas…not more.

Greetings, Hansrudolf

Cornish Jack
                  Participant
                    @cornishjack
                    Used to be a (Dutch??) pulse jet demo team did the Model aircraft Fly-ins back in the 70s. ‘The Shadows’ rings a bell. Last time I saw them was at a w/e show in the North West. I was in the sales hangar – about 400 yards away when they started their demo and I thought it was a VERY BIG radial starting outside!!! The noise was mind numbing.The demo flight was launched from a sloping rod/pylon and the speed must have been in the 200s plus. The model was a delta, about 3 feet span and the guy flying it had, obviously, done it many times before. Ultra high speed low passes, upright and inverted, one of the latter nearly bringing it to an abrupt end when he made fin-top contact with the runway!!
                    Haven’t seen or heard of them for many years so maybe common sense prevailed!!
                    Rgds
                    Bill
                    Ian S C
                    Participant
                      @iansc
                      I seem to remember back in the 50s and 60s, adverts in “Popular Mechanics” showing a pulse jet attached to a bicycle that was for sale in the USA!! Ian S C
                      Speedy Builder5
                      Participant
                        @speedybuilder5
                        Aeromodeler Plans Book of the 50’s Built the pulse jet from stainless, and after some difficulty got it running on cup final day 1965 (No interest in football). What a noise, neighbours came running out to see what was happening (and missed a goal on the TV – top score Bob). I still have the jet, and threaten to get it going again here in France.
                        Keith Wardill 1
                        Participant
                          @keithwardill1
                          This guy seems to like them – lots of info – even a jet powered go-kart

ady
                          Participant
                            @ady

This guy seems to like them

hehe

ady
                            Participant
                              @ady
                              Funny how one thing leads to another.

One of his site sponsors.
                              Richard Parsons
                              Participant
                                @richardparsons61721

Over here in Hungary in the spring one often sees an orchard smothered in smoke. This smoke is accompanied by the noise like a trumpeting bull elephant with galloping tusk ache.

The reason is that someone is committing pesticide using a Pulse Jet to vaporise and distribute some sort of ‘hookem’ down the rows of trees.

The pulse jets are quite small with a tube only about ½” diameter.

Ian S C
                                Participant
                                  @iansc
                                  Mr Simpson caused a bit of a stir here when some goverments thought he might supply cheap cruise missiles to who ever wanted them, but his site is well worth looking at. his is what we Kiwis call no8 wire engineering. No 8 wire is used for farm fencing, or today its usually no 10 high tensile. Ian S C
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)