Ragland feed screw and nut

Advert

Ragland feed screw and nut

Home Forums Manual machine tools Ragland feed screw and nut

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Kim Garnett
    Participant
      @kimgarnett94824

Hi I been asked to make a feed screw and nut for little john lathe so I am looking for a drawing for Ragland little john feed screw and nut as I would like to make one as the original one is missing so I have no pattern to make it from

thanks in advance for any help

Kim

Advert
      Howard Lewis
      Participant
        @howardlewis46836

Have used a Little John but never investigated feedscrews or nut.

Would guess that the thread will be left hand, probably 10 tpi (The dial divisions  will be a guide

100 divisions suggest 10 tpi, 125 suggest 8 tpi) Thread form likely to be square, but could be Acme.

The holes in the machine will give a guide as to diameter.

Which one is the one to be made?  Could you use another (Say Top Slide) as guide / pattern for the Cross Slide?

HTH

Howard

peak4
        Participant
          @peak4

From Tony’s site about the leadscrew, but I’m not sure if you mean the cross slide screw or the top slide one

image_2024-07-16_172720103

Hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like it’s a RH thread
          image_2024-07-16_173031381

The half nuts might be a bit more tricky if they are completely missing
          image_2024-07-16_173216621

Bill

Howard Lewis
          Participant
            @howardlewis46836

Atre we talking Feedscrews (for Cross and/or Top Slide) or Leadscrew?

If Leadscrew then the diameter (3/4″) and thread pitch (8 tpi) is on Tony’s Lathes website, as posted above.

What will then need to be ascertained is Right or Left hand? and the thread form.

My guess would be Left Hand, possibly square.

Since the original post said “nut” that sounds like a Feedscrew.

A Leadscrew would need half nuts.

Howard

Pete Rimmer
            Participant
              @peterimmer30576

Finding out the hand of the screw is easy. If the feed handle travels with the slide, it’s RH, if the handle does not travel with the slide it’s LH.

I believe the scrw is square thread, I may have the specs somewhere but on a PC in storage so I’d have to go and fish it out.

David Senior
              Participant
                @davidsenior29320

I have a Little John Mk2 and a Raglan 5″ (and access to a Loughborough) so can probably get the info you need once I know specifically what you need. Which lathe? Which screw (cross slide, top slide, tailstock)? Imperial or metric?

I usually replace the square threads with ready-made acme and make the nut to suit, not being keen to cut new screws.

Dave

Kim Garnett
                Participant
                  @kimgarnett94824

Thanks for the replies the lathe in question is a little john not sure if mark 1 or 2 its the main cross slide which is left hand thread 1/2″ x 10 tpi not the top slide. The thread is a square thread which is no bother to cut for the screw or the nut but the information I need is the rest of the dimensions ie O/L length, diameters shoulder lengths gear fixing any keyway dimensions etc hope this helps

Kim

David George 1
                  Participant
                    @davidgeorge1

Most lathes of this syle should be square thread 10 TPI RH. I use silver steel for my lathe a M Type Myford lathe with same size thread. If it had a LH thread you would have to turn the handwheel in the wrong direction to every other lathe. For the nut I use phosphour bronze which I screw cut to size and then use a tap I made to just run through to check size.

20190527_07385420200419_15545020190527_073810

David

David Senior
                    Participant
                      @davidsenior29320

A quick sketch of the cross slide screw and nut for a LJ Mk2

This is assembled from my notes from when I was replacing mine some years ago.

The distance from the centre of the thread to the mounting face for the nut needs to be checked on the job.

Hope you can read it and it is useful

Dave

image00002

Mark Easingwood
                      Participant
                        @markeasingwood33578

Hello,

A rough sketch of the nut on my MK11, taken a few years ago.

IMG_20240717_205822535

As said above the distance of the threaded hole to bottom of crosslide is the only important measurement required, the body of the nut just needs to be free in the channel. I haven’t measured the screw, but the length doesn’t matter much, as the channel in the carriage is open ended. 10 tpi. 0.5 in dia, sq thread Left Hand.

Some pictures, IMG_20240717_155439630

IMG_20240717_155057737

My Lathe has the short crosslide, some lathes have a long crosslide.

I am in East Yorks, if you want to come and look for yourself, you are welcome.

Mark.

Mark Easingwood
                        Participant
                          @markeasingwood33578

A couple more pictures, they refused to load earlier!!

IMG_20240717_154640858

IMG_20240717_155153909

Kim Garnett
                          Participant
                            @kimgarnett94824

Hi thanks for all of the replies that’s just the job brilliant

again thank you all

Kim

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)